8.15.2020

Oh Boy. We're having a heat wave. It's just before noon and the temperature is already over 100°. Can't wait to be out shooting video tomorrow, it's supposed to be even hotter....

 

Somewhere on Sixth.

I was out this morning scouting our upcoming filming locations. Our first video shoot is scheduled for 10 a.m. tomorrow morning and our second is scheduled for 11. Both are exterior. Both are fully sun exposed. No shade. Our talents are meeting us at each location since we can't carpool. We expect our shoots to last about a half an hour each and on the second location we're about 400 yards down a trail from the closest parking. I only want to haul the minimum amount of kit but I want to be sure and pack some shade for me and my camera. 

Here's what I'm doing for my Japanese maple tree. 
It was getting sunburnt from all day exposure. It's now selectively covered by 
a 50 inch diffuser rigged on a C-Stand. Yes, there is a sandbag at the bottom.

My friends and relatives often ask me why I take long walks in hot weather all Summer long. "Don't you get enough exercise in the pool?" 

My answer is that it's born out of necessity and long habit. For years we stayed busy all year round and assignments happened in all kinds of weather, and many in remote and uncomfortable situations. The more acclimated I became to the heat and physical effort over the years the easier it became to concentrate on the job at hand instead of worrying about becoming nauseated and faint. Or exhausted and distracted. If you work all the time in air conditioning, and then come-and-go in an air conditioned car, the stress of suddenly working on a location with heat indexes hovering over 105° can be downright dangerous. It's like trying to climb a mountain without becoming acclimated to the altitude...

When we walk into our second location tomorrow it will already be closing in on 100°. I'll need to bring a couple of S1 cameras (never travel without a back up) and a couple of lenses. The director will want to see the shots as we build them with our actor so I'll also bring along an Atomos digital recorder and some extra (and heavy) Sony NP900x batteries. I'm thinking of also packing in an LED panel with its batteries. And water. A good amount of water. 

But in situations like the ones we'll be shooting in tomorrow around midday one of the most important sets of gear is portable shade. I want enough good shade to cover myself and my camera. For me it's about comfort and safety. For the camera it's to ensure solid and less noisy operation (excess heat causes visual noise in digital files). Leaving a black camera and lens exposed to the sun for long periods of time is just asking for trouble and since tomorrow's shoots are part of a bigger project with lots of tight deadlines and very limited availability of the actors we really don't want to take a chance that our camera will overheat and shut down our shoot. There are few opportunities to reschedule.

I'll leave the round diffuser and C-Stand at home and opt for a very stout Lowell light stand, a knuckle head, and a 60 inch, white umbrella. Used in a straight up configuration it should be resistant to breezes that angle in from above or are directly horizontal. We'll look for heavy gear to anchor the base. The important thing is being able to carry it in.

We're making short movies of young (18-25) actors dancing in front of iconic Austin spots. Murals, Signs, Statues, Swimming Holes and even a Landmark or two. 

I'm using the Lumix S1 for the video. It's been upgraded to firmware 2.0 and we've also bought and installed the full V-Log upgrade. We'll be shooting 10 bit, 4:2:2, 4K files but our final edited target will probably be 1080p. I've experimented --- and down-rez'd (4K > 1080p) files have more detail and better color than originating the files in the smaller format. Might as well start with the best quality we can.

Other than shade, and of course the cameras and lenses, our most important accessory will be neutral density filters. I'm hedging my bets on that. I usually just go with a variable ND filter for personal work but I've found most V-ND's are susceptible to flare if there is a light source anywhere in front of them. I've had many fewer problems, optically, with discreet, single strength ND filters so I'm bringing both and I'll trudge onward with my V-NDs until I hit a snag. If I hit a snag...

Speaking of V-ND filters I forgot to mention which lens I'll be using them on. I've settled on the 24-105mm f4.0 Panasonic because I can cover all the focal lengths we'll need without having to change lenses. I don't need the higher speed of the faster 24-70mm f2.8 and I think trying to juggle primes in a fast moving and short time-framed shoot like the ones we have in mind just overly complicates matters. The 24-105 is very respectable for 4K video resolution and the extra image stabilization (dual I.S.) will give us a leg up for the handheld shots the director wants. 

One of the reasons it's so nice to use Panasonic cameras for stuff like this is the inclusion of waveforms with which to meter. While waveforms are also available on the Atomos it's nice to have them on the camera too for those times when you might want to go very mobile, and hand the director the monitor at the end of a ten foot cable...

I was out shooting this morning and after reading all the reviews about the Sigma 85mm DN lens I wanted to try a few more set ups with my small, light and brilliant, Leica 90mm f2.8 R Elmarit lens on the Sigma fp camera. It's a revelation. First of all, I can't think of a time when I would be working under f4.0 with that combo in bright light. And when you work around that aperture with the Leica lens you are in a sweet spot that practically guarantees that anything you point the lens at is going to look better. I find it to be a very solid performer and a nice match for the slow-to-work but easy-to-love Sigma fp. It's a nice portrait rig. 



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up on the east side of the Houston ship channel. One of our neighbors was an outdoor refinery worker and in 1964 he decided it would be nice to have air conditioning at home in the evenings and on weekends, so he purchased a decent sized window unit. (None of the 1950's brick homes in our neighborhood were built with central AC.)

After a short time he decided that having AC at home was making his outdoor work feel miserable, so he sold the unit to my parents where it was installed in a living room window as our first AC unit.

Lee

Michael Matthews said...

Singing and dancing in direct sunlight with air temperature between 100 and 105F? Hmmm.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Just dancing Michael, just dancing....

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until it cools down to 100. We were 117 yesterday and just set a record for the most days over 110.

Nigli said...

Spot on. When I played competitive sort we practiced in the evenings. Any game in the morning was, by our standards, a shambles, but we rapidly got better during the day.

TBan said...

Regarding the tree, it looks like you could construct some sort of trellis like structure over it and plant some native vines to provide shade. Virginia creeper would work. You may have to thin it a bit if it gets too dense.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

TBan, That might be a long term solution but we only have heat waves from time to time and the Japanese maple does well for the rest of the year.

Maybe more fun to figure out different ways to use photo and cinema rigging to help the tree through a tough spell. Might even provide a great rationale for buying a 12 by 12 foot frame and diffusion...

Re: Virginia Creeper = it looks too much like poison ivy...

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

"I can't wait until it cools down to 100. We were 117 yesterday and just set a record for the most days over 110."


I'm hoping you are some place with low, low humidity. If it hit 117 at the Houston ship canal thousands and thousands of people would die...

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

It's 12:43 here and it's already 99° with a heat index of 106°. We finished our shoots for today and no one expired or even got sick from the heat. I asked everyone involved to bring umbrellas in order to make their own shade. It worked great. Shooting in Rec.709 did a great job of compressing the highlights down far enough to help tame the sun. The footage looks great; absolutely great. No camera heating, not a hint. VND gorgeously neutral. No difference between the daylight setting and the custom WB setting. A nice set of performances all the way around. Now I'm home drinking water and reviewing footage. 13.5 GB before lunch. Different from stills....

Gato said...

99 here in the Panhandle as I'm prepping for a session in Amarillo. At least we'll be in the shade. I hope.

Ordered a large white umbrella earlier after reading your post. Should have it for the next job.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Gato, my friend, stay safe out there. Big, white umbrella, grip head, C-Stand. It's magic how much difference it makes in your ability to concentrate and keep shooting. Love em and they're not too pricey.

Fred said...

Kirk, If someone read this post and the two just in front of it without knowing the timeline they would think you had a very interesting week.
This post and some of the comments made me think of the summer in college when I worked in a steel mill where we would take our breaks out in the sun to cool off.
I hope you are scheduled for swim practice in the morning.

Gato said...

Kirk -- I got lucky today. Clouds came in just as I left for the shoot, by the time we started temps were bearable and the light was beautiful. Car showed temp to be 73 on the drive home.

But as they say, "The man who depends on luck better have plenty of it." I'll still be glad to have the white umbrella around. Bet I need it before the summer is done.