1.19.2021

Getting back on task. Shutting down the idea that I have to be ready for any type of project that comes my way.



If you are like me you got into photography because you loved making certain kinds of photographs. I started out photographing people I knew and liked. That was the bedrock. Every purchase of cameras or lights, in the early days, was strictly in the service of making "better" people photographs. Before I started accepting assignments I never thought about having specialized sets of gear that would enable me to make architectural photos, or macro still lifes, or event photographs. No need for focal range coverage, no need to cover everything from 15mm to 1,000mm. And in those seminal days I never had a thought of buying video cameras, microphones and fluid tripod heads. My focus was very precise, highly curated, and singular: make images of beautiful faces. Seems simple and direct, and like most people who are, perhaps, less smart than they think they are, I let things get out of hand. For thirty-five years.

I rationalized having one of everything; just in case. I felt that we could handle every assignment that came my way because we had the stuff needed to do the process. It's been exhausting. I just didn't recognize the burden of "being equipped."

The pandemic and the lockdown have provided us with ample opportunity to step back from what we've been doing, reflexively, in our lives and to re-evaluate the choices we've made and the paths we travel down. While it may seem that my almost daily walks are all about playing with cameras and making inconsequential images that lead to frivolous discussions about which is best for what kind of work. I consider the walks these days not so much opportunities for exercising the gear but as self-therapy. A way of helping my mind circle back and decide what's important and fulfilling to me instead of how to use photography to assuage my ego, fight off the ravages of time, and let me posture as some sort of expert. I seem to spend more and more of my time walking and thinking about how badly I might have missed the big clues and road signs as I blazed through life without paying much attention to what I really wanted out of photography.

To be self-honest I have to admit that I'll never take the time, or have the burning desire, to excel as a film maker. Video and movies can be incredibly engaging but a little self-knowledge assures me that I'm the furthest thing from a "team player" imaginable and that the core of making good movies is the ability to bring a team together and motivate them all to embrace your vision, ideas and story. I can barely tolerate one person at a time in my collaborations, much less enough of a  team to make a worthwhile project. So, I've been casting off redundant gear to younger colleagues who have a sharper, clearer focus about film-making than I ever will. 

I've cleared out a few cameras and lenses, a fluid head tripod, some lights and stands, a couple of microphones and a gimbal or two. They've been gifted to people who have a sure desire to make projects in motion and only lacked a few critical pieces of gear to step up their craft. But it's been revelatory for me because it feels like letting go of baggage I've carried around for years but never found a passionate use for. 

Now, I walk into the studio/office everyday and my first thoughts are: What can I get rid of? How much of this stuff can get distilled down to one nice set of portrait making tools? Do I really need back-ups of everything I work with?

The answers are: I can get rid of as much as I'm emotionally comfortable letting go of. And that's down to process. I can distill down to two lights, two stands, one tripod and a few modifiers. I can ratchet down the inventory till I get to the point where I have two small systems. One system is for studio portrait work and that's all full frame Lumix stuff. The other system is "walking meditation" cameras and for now that seems to be a set of Fuji X-100V cameras. 

If I keep a cabinet full of video gear and audio gear it comes with an implied obligation to do something with it before it all decays from lack of use. My brain knows the stuff is sitting there and as long as it is there my brain thinks we should be doing something with it. That's a sub-routine that takes focus away from other, more primary work desires which circle around making portraits and reducing distraction. You are more apt to drive more often if you own a car. It's the same thing.

One might think that writing a daily blog would be an ultimate distraction but, in fact, it's just part of the ongoing therapy of being a photographer on the cusp of aging out of the commercial game. I'm still fit and competent but I'm not as pretty as I used to be nor as willing to be compliant. That comes from the rich residue of experience. There is also a slight (to me, at any rate) ethical question of when it's time to give up some of the (less fun) work and let a younger generation get their shot at more commercial success. It's harder now than it's ever been for younger photographers to make a living; made harder still by people who refuse to get out of the way. Richard Avedon worked until his death at 84 years old. He loved what he did. And he profited handsomely right up to the end. He was right to keep working because no one was in the wings waiting to take over what he was capable of making.

I'm no Richard Avedon but I know that making portraits is something that I'd love to do...right up to the end. Whenever that is. And I am more and more loathe to spin my wheels and waste my time taking starkly commercial images that have nothing to do with my passion for the craft. Because, I have discovered, it's not the cameras or photography I really love as much as it is a well crafted portrait pulled out of a compelling session with an enchanting person. This is a clarity I wish I'd acquired decades ago. 

A former client called last week and wanted to talk about a video project that would require a series of conventional interviews about products and processes that are, frankly, boring. The people I'd be interviewing are boring. And unpracticed in front of a camera. Alien to the interview practice. Halting and unsteady. 

The project appealed to my ego. I would have yet more proof that I was still at the top of my game. That I could still pull out a great project from a sack full of mediocre parts. But then I thought of all the time I would spend on it, all the frustrations attached and the fact that I'd probably not even put that kind of project onto my reel, into my portfolio. 

I demurred and passed on the offer. And almost instantly I felt lighter and freer and ... happy. Then I looked through a gallery of old portraits I'd done and felt like I was home. It's a strange time. I wonder how my own destiny would have unfolded without the intermission the pandemic forced on us. But I think you can never know the future just as you can never change the past. You can only find the things that make you --- satisfied. And do them. Now.

Cleaning a bit more out of the space every day. Today I'm shredding papers I've kept for some unknown reason. Even invoices from 30+ years ago. Most of the paper has been unexamined since it was created and copies were sent to clients. None of it has meaning anymore. It just takes up space. Better for me to toss it all out now than to burden Ben at some inopportune time in the future with the unpleasant task of figuring out what he should keep or toss. That seems more like the job of cleaning up after one's self that would be my responsibility. 

Just some thoughts after a remarkably nice swim practice in the rain today. No thunder or lightning so we got through the workout with no interruptions. Swimming hard in the morning makes the rest of the day feel smooth and productive. Just saying. 

Looking forward to the inauguration tomorrow. Hopeful for a new period of calm and success for our country. And, as a bonus, we get to hear Lady Gaga sing the national anthem. 

 

20 comments:

Tom said...

Welcome to the 60s. It's an age where one can reflect and plan for the future. Be sensible, as you are doing, and make sure those preparations will ensure a very enjoyable future, not only for you but more importantly for your family. An old guy who I worked with nearly fifty years ago used to say to us young guys "what price peace of mind" and then walk away. It took me many years to fully realise what exactly he meant. My peace of mind was very cheap looking back on my retirement, all I have to do now is cut my cloth to suit.
Keep well and be smart....

Michael Kohnhorst said...

Thanks for this post. A big part of my life these days is a commitment to an ongoing process of constructive elimination.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

It's odd that our 30s, 40s and 50s are so affected by the consumer culture and then, after some inflection point, the last thing we want it more stuff. It's sometimes hard to let go but it's so satisfying to have time and space back.

Thanks for the supportive comments.

Eric Rose said...

Congratulations Kirk and welcome to the real meaning of success. I went through the same process a number of years ago. It was hard letting go of what I thought was "me". While Avedon was famous for his fashion photographs he was equally famous for his wonderful and thoughtful photographs of the not so traditionally considered "beautiful" people.

I look forward to seeing your new portrait work and your "wandering around" photos.

Eric

Mark the tog said...

I just went through this exercise in August when I closed my studio and started working from home. My wife voiced concern at the challenge of getting rid of the years of accumulated gear. I assured her that at the right price stuff moves out fast. I got a lot of young photographers showing up from a Craigslist ad and I emptied the studio in one day.
Fully 50%went out gratis.
The people were young and motivated. I was happy to see the ambition and aspirations and met a number of interesting people.
I have a pared down inventory but still have not gotten to the point of dumping everything as I am still doing both architectural jobs and editorial portraiture. This magazine editors have a lot of lively ideas that keep me challenged.

Wayne Melia said...

Ahh .... your own life, not sugjucation to any and everybody else.
Your own priorities -- wonderful.

eric erickson said...

KT, What a post. It really hit me because like you I walk every day and carry a camera. Mostly in a nice wooded park close to home, nothing fancy or special just a nice place. I make images as I walk some are good many are not. I think about some of the great images I have seen over the years and they all seem to include people. People in many different walks of life. My images do not and I have been a bit glum about not creating great images just ok ones? I came across your sentence that really hit home : "I seem to spend more and more time, walking and thinking about how badly I might have missed the big clues and road signs as I blazed through life without paying much attention to what I really wanted our of photography" I feel exactly the same way. Maybe I use photography just to get me to a place I want to be and I shouldn't care whether great images result from the trip or experience it the experience that counts. Its the journey not the destination as the old saw goes?
For the record I am an old guy too and getting rid of stuff feel a whole lot better than buying and accumulating stuff. The challenge comes to decide what is important and what is not? Anyway thanks for a great post today. You actually inspired me and I didn't even look at a picture. Be safe Eric

Mitch said...

Oh to be a young photojournalist when all I needed were a couple of bodies and a few lenses and "a" flash. Fulfillment came from the important work I felt I was doing. And not in the expensive things those I knew in the financial sector were accumulating.

Commercially, I never found the success that the likes of Platon using one kinda crappy shoot through umbrella did. So, jack of all trades became my path.

And now entering the 6th decade, and still needing to work because journalism didn't pay very well and was discarded as a necessary profession, I find myself again accumulating some gear to be able to handle a couple new vectors of assignments.

In the end I suppose it's the difference between being a craftsman and an artist.

For some reason when we are young, we are all so close to being artists. But that purity is swallowed by the financial imperative for those of us who aren't in demand for our artistry or wish to "advance" in terms of success beyond the limited remuneration our artistry provides.

Interesting that, perhaps, you have arrived at a point of maturity/success/perspective/security where you once again can focus on being an artist.

Ronman said...

Wow, a terrific and timely post, Kirk. Your thoughts and experiences of feeling liberated by careful detachment of excess gear sounds very familiar. And it's interesting how with age the term "excess" itself evolves and becomes far more selective. After recently selling off three camera bodies and 5 lenses I then acquired a second camera. This pairs with another like-camera, so I now have two bodies with nearly identical menus and both can share the only two lenses I have other than a few vintage pieces). It's the smallest assembly of camera gear I've had in over a decade, and I feel great. I remember spending time years ago just looking over (too much) equipment and admiring how it looked, felt in the hand, or rendered images, even if the reality was it mostly stayed on the shelf, unused. I simply bought "stuff" because I liked it. Just having it around brought some unexplainable comfort. I had the same issues with motorcycles, but that's another story.....
But I got older, and now I appreciate memories far more than 'stuff'. And these days, instead of having equipment around because of its unexplainable comfort benefit, I find seldom used, i.e., excess equipment, an irritant. My most recent gear purge brought with it a very satisfying feeling, perhaps due to it indicating I finally have my priorities sorted out and can appreciate what's most important, time. Interesting how being increasingly pragmatic is an underpinning of the aging process.

JC said...

Some of us lucky ones -- you and I are two, I think -- found something compelling when we were young, and we were good at it, and it was lucrative enough to be financially satisfactory. The years went by and we hardly bothered to look up because what we were doing really *was* compelling. Then, at some point, you do look up and wonder what you might have missed. There are a lot of good things to be done later in life -- the New Yorker this week has a story about that very thing, and one of its examples was a woman who, after a very fulfilling life not related to visual art, went on to get a BFA and an MFA in painting in her 60s. I think there's an inflection point for some of us, when we look up and we're happy enough with what we're doing, but decide to simplify those things (we've already done most of what we wanted to do) and expand our lives to do pursue some different interests. You may have hit that point, and you're not alone, brother.

Jon Maxim said...

Thanks again Kirk. The line that resonated with me is "I can get rid of as much as I'm emotionally comfortable letting go of." I have been consumed by GAS and am keenly aware that I have got too much gear that doesn't get used. I don't even have the "I need it, just in case, for my business" excuse to fall back on. You have managed to get me to focus on exactly what the problem is and I now feel better equipped with a way to assess what I really do and do not "need". Reading through the other comments in this post, it is striking how you manage to resonate with others, in so many different ways. You may want to hang out a new shingle advertising yourself as a Photography Psychotherapist. :)

Jon Maxim said...

P.S. This portrait of Belinda may just be the most beautiful one yet.

Rich said...

SWEET

Anonymous said...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4djBDJ7a424


A LIVE conversation with photographer Zack Arias about the Fujifilm X100v.

Eric said...

I’m older than you but remind myself that I’ll never be younger than I am right now. It sounds like you are financially secure, you didn’t mention the need for money in your post. My own experience of reaching the age of reflection was to begin learning about the things that ironically I cared about when I was my young idealistic self but moved on from as I tried to earn a living, have a social life, keep up with those pesky Jones’s etc. At some point I realised what Joseph Campbell described as climbing the ladder of success only to realise that it was leaning against the wrong wall. While I have no regrets and can honestly say I did some good in a world that needs good to be done, but now is my time. I have left my past and now put my energy into stuff that is meaningful to me regardless of what others think. For me that’s the challenge of the eternal questions that the Incredible String Band phrased, What is it that we are part of, what is it that we are. For me personally the practice of Vipassana has been illuminating. Before Covid struck and I became mostly housebound (first vaccine jab scheduled for this Friday!!!) my photography became increasingly less interesting to others but more interesting to me. I cast aside the pressure to take photographic images that pleased others and now take images that decidedly seem weird to most people but which give me joy. I take great joy in having taught myself over the past 5 years to dance and not look like one of those AI dogs that mimic grace with some mechanical clunkiness. But most of all I have gone on a journey of self-discovery. It’s far more challenging than golf and far more rewarding. Don’t limit yourself, this is now the prime of your life!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hey Anonymous, This clip of Zach and the X100V is much better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIRiocztMo It's only 12 minutes long and it's all Zach/camera/Cuba. The link you put up is about two hours long and the interviewer's monotone could be used as an anesthesia for huge mammals.

Zach's highly practiced, faux diffidence makes him a bit of an acquired taste but the video editor for the clip I recommended put the necessary spark and pace in the program while editing out all the depressing self deprecation and subsequent formulaic personal redemption.

You might like it better. Bottom line? It's a great little camera.

Michael Matthews said...

Looks like you’ve pretty much thought this through. My knee-jerk reaction was to remember the title of the Thomas Wolfe novel “You Can’t Go Home Again”, but then I realized that you never really left. It may require some adjustment though. Those beautiful young faces aren’t so young anymore. The Girl From Ipanema is now 80, a chilling thought I may have mentioned before. And if you’re thinking of recruiting new, fresh-faced subjects and inviting them to your private studio it might be a good idea to always have a witness present.

Take it easy...I realize beauty is not the exclusive province of the young. Just winding you up a bit. Best wishes with implementing the new focus.

Roger Jones said...

Well, I hope you do better than me. I can't seem to part with my gear yet,yet is the key phase, I'm working on it. How do you give away or sell your friends??? I need to let go, but I'm not doing a very good job. So what do you do with cameras and lenses that were loaned to you in the last 10 years and the company doesn't seem to care. They haven't ask for them back and I sent them in for service 4 times and never a word. The CEO keeps checking my website for new work?? So what do you do? I don't own them so I can't sell the items I could send them back but they'd just go on a pallet to be sold at 10 cents on the dollar. They've been discontinued. I'll figure it out.

Good Luck
Stay Safe
Roger

Michael said...

Your studio portrait photography is superb!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thank you Michael.