1.17.2021

The "Peter Lindbergh" book that Mike Johnston recommended over on his blog. I'll stick in a link with my review.

Caution! This book weighs about seven pounds.
It's 483 pages of photos. 
And it's good. 

 Mike Johnston at the Online Photographer Blog wrote about the publication of Peter Lindbergh's huge retrospective (post humous) book of photographs here:  MJ's Getting His Fashion Groove On. He had featured an image of Lindbergh's office or home about a week ago and then he came across the new book at Amazon. Mike opted to cut a few corners and order the smaller, paperback edition of the book but being ever cavalier about all things financial I just started hemorrhaging money and placed an order for the full Monte. The large, ponderous, heavy and beautifully printed hard back version. It was still a relative bargain while on sale for only $50 and change. 

I got it yesterday, pulled up a comfortable chair, turned on the good light, poured a glass of the nice wine, and spent an hour going through the book. I'll go back again and again since there is so much here. Nearly all of the images are printed full page or as double trucks and the paper they are printed on is thick and beautiful. I've always been a big fan of Peter Lindbergh and this book is a wonderful addition to my collection of superstar photographer monographs. Taschen Publishing did a great job with this book!

Will you like the images? I don't know. The book had me when Lindbergh combined Kate Moss and Rome. Almost everything is in dark, moody but lovely black and white. I'm glad I ordered the book but I've got to distance myself from MJ's site or I'll soon go bankrupt. Too many good suggestions....

Since he is to blame, if you are a big Peter Lindbergh Photographer fan and want to order the book I'd suggest using the link above to go over to Mike Johnston's site and order from his links. You won't pay anymore for the book. You'll help Mike stay on the keyboard. And I don't offer links to Amazon or B&H anyway. 

So many beautiful people. So much photography.

Big fun with nicely printed paper. Enjoy. 

5 comments:

Dick Barbour said...

I'm not a fan of Lindbergh-style photography but I can see the appeal for a portrait person like you. Nothing like an engrossing book to get lost in, these tedious days. I did succumb to a couple of MJ recommendations: "The Secret Lives of Color", by Kassia St. Clair, and "Picture This: How Pictures Work", by Molly Bang. Neither is specifically oriented toward photographers but they are worthwhile reads on color and composition with a different slant.

Anonymous said...

If you want a very good one look at This Land: An American Portrait
by Jack Spencer.
Not the pretty picture book but many haunting images by a Photographer who should be better known.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I know Jack Spencer's landscape work, done mostly in the Southwest. It's certainly not a style that resonates with me but one of my friends decorated each elevator lobby of a ten story, luxury condominium with large and beautifully framed Jack Spencer prints so he is already known in some circles. Maybe the circles that count most.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

With all the books being offered it's good to have a source for suggestions. It's something Mike does very well.

Abacus Photography said...

I'm a sucker for monographson photographers and artists, Kirk. I find them inspirational and they get me through the dark times, the dull times. I maintain they have the same effect on my brain as eating a large bar of chocolate, so they are probably better for my health, but not for my financial health. It's a great book!