3.22.2021

Has the mania for ultra-fast lenses hit a peak? Will it now subside and allow lens makers to concentrate on better compromises?

another portrait. 

I'm the first to admit that I've been suckered into the wild enthusiasm camp about lenses with very fast apertures for most of my time in photography. When we shot with film cameras a faster lens meant a brighter viewfinder which meant easier focusing. An added benefit of focusing with a fast aperture lens at its widest setting was very narrow depth of field which also helped with nailing focus. 

Since everyone (most people?) were able to focus their faster lenses more accurately a mythology about the lenses existed. Since the lenses were better focused the resulting images at any aperture were sharper so they looked better. This led people to believe that the faster and more expensive lenses were also capable of higher overall performance. It made sense to people because they were, daily, judging the results of more accurate focusing and mistaking at least some of the benefit as coming from a better designed lens when compared to slower lenses. 

In the mid-1990s autofocus technology got better and better and camera makers didn't need to make focusing screens that were optimized for highest acccuracy (at the expense of brightness). Since nearly everyone buying newer and newer cameras used AF for almost every shot the camera makers looked at the compromise matrix of focusing screen engineering and changed the mix to favor super bright screens at the expense of manual focusing discrimination. All in all it's a compromise that makes the most sense for the most users. 

Now lenses both fast and slow would benefit from the same accuracy in autofocusing because the focusing was no longer done on the screen but buy an AF sensor instead. So, essentially, the need for super fast lenses for higher focusing accuracy was cancelled. But the mythology continued. 

I read an article which I can't source at the moment but it was about lens design. It may have been written by Irwin Puts about Leica lens manufacturing but it essentially made the point that more modest aperture lenses were much easier to manufacture with consistency and high quality than faster lenses. 

It seems that every time you need to increase the diameter of the lens elements to increase the speed of a given focal length a doubling of diameter requires many times more manufacturing accuracy than a slower lens. Also, fewer elements are required for optimal correction. 

For the first ten years of mass acceptance of interchangeable lens digital cameras (roughly 2000-2010) the one reason to own faster lenses was the rather poor noise performance of then available sensors. On my Nikon D2Xs any ISO over 400 was mostly unusable for commercial work. Noise reduction apps for post processing proliferated like bunnies. An argument could be made that companies like Sigma started designing their ultra-fast Art series line of primes in order to provide a sharp, wide open aperture to compensate for the low ISOs we needed to use at the time. But that never meant that fast lenses could be designed to out perform slower lenses for things like: contrast, sharpness, resolution and lower distortion. 
And those are all the things needed in most lenses to make them successful.

Now we've entered a new age with digital. It's the age of miraculous ISO performance in cameras. One no longer has a rationale, beyond the look of a particular lens design, to splash out two or three times (or more) money to buy a faster lens if an f2.0 lens offers all the performance of an f1.2 or f1.4 lens that weighs three times as much and takes up a lot more real estate in your camera bag. 

I write this because I'm trying to reform my bad lens buying habits by introducing some rational thought into the process. I guess my epiphany came when I struggled with the weight, size and ponderous AF of the original Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art series lens. It was a monster to handhold, and, if truth be told, it, like most ultra-fast lenses, was a one trick pony. It could do really great zero depth of field images. But after you've seen a few years worth of strangely narrow depth of field you come to realize that it's not a vital part of usual and successful imaging. Better to concentrate on shooting at apertures that let one actually see the majority of a subject clearly and with acceptable focus. 

Another rude awakening has been my odd dance with the Panasonic S-Pro 50mm f1.4 lens. Optically, it's magnificent. At f1.4 it's as sharp and contrasty as any Leica or Zeiss super star lens I've ever tested. When you stop it down it gets better and better. But it's ponderously large and also weighs a ton. I find that I very rarely take it out and shoot it for pleasure. Though I've had it well over a year I can count on my fingers and toes the number of times I've actually needed its particular performance envelope in the work that I do. And the work I see most commercial photographers pursue. 

When I head out the door for fun I look into a drawer filled with lenses and ponder. I like the 40-60mm range and at first I look to the 50mm lens and fantasize about how wonderful all the subjects I photograph will look by dint of the lens's amazing performance. Then I quickly become more rational, realize that I'll mostly be shooting at f4 or f5.6 and move on to finding a more comfortable and more than adequate alternative. Usually it's something like the Contax/Zeiss 50mm f1.7 or the Sigma 45mm f2.8. Lately, I've been shooting more often with the Sigma 65mm f2.0 and am finding it to be a powerful imaging tool. Very sharp at f2.0 and among the very highest performance long normal lenses extant, when used at f4.0 and f5.6. Why carry the weight if the f-stops at which you'll be photographing are in the middle of the range?
Even older lenses made for film cameras, if well designed and built, are delivering surprisingly competitive results at middle apertures. Even at f2.0 most of my lenses hold up well. Making the purchase of ultra-fast lenses kind of....stupid. 

Photographers are being regaled this month by a torrent of "news" about a new 50mm f1.2 lens from Sony. It's supposed to be really good, and maybe it is. But it's too expensive and it's not going to deliver a better photographic experience for most users compared to good lenses in the same focal length with which they already use. It might be better at f1.4 but by the time it gets to the optimum picture taking apertures of f2.8-f8.0 most of the benefits essentially are limited by the resolution and imaging potential of the camera sensors and the techniques of the users. But they will have splashed out big cash to mostly end up with performance that's a near even match with lenses with smaller maximum apertures. 

I'm also seeing an endless parade of 50mm lenses from Chinese makers that boast f.095, f1.0 and f1.1 apertures. Interest seems to be running high among the faithful. 

I've tested a couple of these and find them to be very difficult to focus well, wide open, and not very high performers when used that way. When stopped down they become....adequate. That's a pretty sorry review for modern lens. 

I'm more interested in lenses like the Sigma 45mm f2.8 which I've written about here from time to time. It's not great performer wide open but in the middle ranges it out performs just about any zoom lens and is better than similar focal lengths from Sony and several other makers when stopped down just one stop. Soundly outperforming them at two stops down (f5.6). It's built like a tank, is fun to use and still compact enough and light enough to be a 24/7 carry lens.

I think the reasons to own fast lenses are diminishing and as our hobby and industry continue to change I'm betting we'll see more and more lenses done in a traditional way = a fast enough aperture for any real use. A small enough footprint for comfort, convenience and handling, and a price that is affordable to many more users. I count all that as a win. 

Interested to know how you feel about this. Am I once again totally off base and wrong? What benefits (if any) do you get from using ultra-fast aperture lenses? Share?

Program note; written a few hours later:  Matti Sulanto is a Finnish photographer and a Lumix Ambassador. He has a nice and informative YouTube channel where he discusses nuts and bolts, reviews cameras and goes out for photo walks in all kinds of crazy weather. Today I wrote this blog post and ten minutes later I was on YouTube at Matti's channel only to find that his post today was also about the same subject. We posted almost simultaneously!!!


He's got a very slightly different take on it than I do.... but mostly we're in agreement. check it out.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

If you enjoy your m4/3 format cameras a faster lens makes it possible to throw a background out of focus. Focal length of lens and distance from subject taken into account.
For 35mm size sensors its easy to throw a background out of focus with almost any focal length/ speed lens.

Andrea Bellelli said...

I agree, and I have never shared the idea that bokeh is the expression of art: many beautiful portraits have a recognizable environment which contributes to the photo. Ansel Adams in his book The Camera published a portrait of Brassai with the comment "I focused on the eyes and then I closed the iris at its maximum to obtain the depth of field required" (I apologize for this quotation that I translate from my Italian copy of the book).

James Moule said...

I have no idea of what most photographers want to buy. So, I do not know the answer. As for myself, for landscape photography I want depth of field most of the time. If there is little light, I can make a longer exposure. So there is no payoff for a large aperture lens.

For wildlife photography, modern cameras allow enough shutter speed to freeze any motion with reasonable apertures. There is rarely if ever any benefit to blur the background behind the animal. An exception is photographing a bird in flight. But I rarely try to photograph birds in flight.

For travel photography, there is a big disadvantage to having to change lenses. The Olympus 12-100 mm f/4 or the Sony Zeiss 24-105 mm f/2.8 are ideal lenses. Variable aperture is much more important than limited depth of field and carrying a heavy lens all day is to be avoided at all costs.

For static star photography, a large aperture is a benefit. But I rarely do that. Owning one large aperture small focal length lens would be enough.

charlyR said...

You're so right!

my X-E3 + 2,8/16mm + 2,8/27mm + 2/50mm = 0,75 kg
my X-E3 + 2,8-4/18-55mm = 0,67 kg
-> both compact and versatile :-)

XF 1,0/50mm = 0,85 kg (without Cam)
-> just huge and heavy :-(

Alex said...

Yup, not what the point is if it’s not about getting a few more stops inside Angkor Wat in Cambodia with ISO 400 film anymore. When I went there, my only lens was a 3.3 to 4.5 zoom and that wasn’t the right tool for interiors. Fast lenses used to offer practical solutions that were worth the money and weight. You need bokeh? Use a longer lens. Aside from the Fujifilm 34mm 1.4, I’ve always stuck with the f2s and f3.5s. But I do this for fun, not work.

Alex said...

Also, bokeh began to feel like a cliche to me about 15 years ago.

Nathan Smith said...

Nathan
Did you have a heads up that Sony is getting ready to announce a 24, 40, 50 f/2.5 compact G lens?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I hadn't heard that Nathan. But it's a great idea for both the photographers who will have less weight and size to haul around but also to Sony because it will open up the market to more price conscious buyers. That's a win!

Thanks for sharing the info.

Andy said...

Definitely in the slower and lighter camp. I've done the big and fast in the past and they tended to get left at home in favour of small and light. My fuji's are all f2 or f2.8 which fits well on my X-Pro2 and my Nikons are all F4 or f4-6.3 for my Z7 - again small and light and no discernible loss in quality

Thanks for the blog by the way, have meant to say I enjoy the writing for a while

Andy

Anonymous said...

For much of what I like to photograph having fast lenses is not important. I have several zooms that open only as wide as ƒ/4 and I find that adequate.

However, I also do long-exposure, tracked astrophotography and having a fast(er) lens can be very useful.

DavidB

Gato said...

I don't have any real desire for a normal lens the size of a beer can. And that's before we even get to the weight and price. My Olympus 12-100 is testing my limits, even for a zoom. It most often stays home while my 12-60 goes out for fun.

With today's ISO there is very little a person can't shoot at f2 or 2.8 -- or even f4. And if I want to blur background that's no trick at all for computer software -- and with more control.

The camera makers seem determined to go bigger, heavier and more expensive -- which I think is just ceding more of the market to the phone makers. And maybe to Fuji or micro 4/3 if they get their act really together.

MikeR said...

Just a bit of left over idolatry from the film camera low ISO (ASA!) days.

Raptor7 said...

The new Sony compact lenses (24 mm f/2.8, 40 and 50 mm f/2.5) will be presented today. If the price is right...

Craig Yuill said...

The people who mainly seem to want super-fast glass are certain YouTube influencers, and gear heads who like to brag. I stopped going to at least one online forum when threads about fast lenses started to devolve into class-warfare-style sniping. (Supposedly, we all really want expensive fast prime lenses - and if we don’t it’s because we can’t afford them and should go find better jobs so that we can.)

The first camera I ever bought was the Olympus OM-1. At the time (1980) it was the epitome of 35mm SLR compactness. A few years ago I looked at a display cabinet filled with fast Sigma Art primes. I was shocked at how massive lenses had become. Each of them appeared to be the size of a Thermos. What had happened to the idea of compactness? I figured that lens designers had gone insane.

My Olympus gear was stolen in the mid-1990s, and my insurer replaced it with Nikon gear. I like Nikon products, particularly the petite Nikon 1 system. Sadly, Nikon under-engineered critical components of some of the 1 Nikkor lenses, making them less reliable than they should be. Great optics, though. Mostly slow lenses. Loved the compactness.

Nikon discontinued that system a few years ago. But they now have a DX format Z-mount camera, with a petite (and slow) 16-50mm zoom lens that is supposed to be very good. The camera and lens combo looks like it came straight from the Nikon 1 system. Nikon has a Z-mount lens roadmap that shows it will supposedly produce a couple of petite primes that would work very well with this DX camera. A Nikon Z-mount DX camera with a couple of compact zooms and primes would suit me just fine.

The most experience I have with fast glass is at the long end of the lens spectrum. I have been an avid bird photographer for a number of years. I picked up a second-hand Tamron 300mm f/2.8 lens that I often used with a 1.4x converter. Decent combo! I mostly used this with film SLRs, but I also sometimes used it with digital cameras as well. I usually mounted this rig on a sturdy tripod. These days I use a slower Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 lens on a Nikon DSLR or Nikon 1 mirrorless body. My bird shots are, frankly, much better with the newer slower lens than the older fast lens. Being able to use a lighter, slower, more maneuverable lens that I can handhold has led to a greater number of opportunities than I could get from using a bigger, faster, tripod-mounted lens. Also, the optics of the slower lens are very good.

You brought up a great topic, Kirk.

Jon Maxim said...

Agree with this article. I have often felt that photographers go over the top with narrow depth of field and bokeh-obsession. I would love to have a collection of light, small and extremely high quality lenses. As far as I can make out manufacturers feel that small and light should also equal cheap. I do own Sony and hope that the new ones they announce today also match up with my desires.

Jon Maxim said...

s

Alan Fairley said...

Fortunately, there is a mini-trend to offering compact primes at around f2.8, Sony, Nikon have announced, Sigma, Tamron and Samyang are making. Long overdue IMO, especially with the compact size of full frame mirrorless bodies.