4.19.2022

Life is an exercise in context. I thought I'd already plumbed images from a trip to Iceland but 2018 & 2019 were filled with overwhelming family issues and I find, in retrospect, that I barely did more than glance at these...



I left JFK Airport on my birthday in late October 2018 heading to Iceland for a week long trip. While I was there I posted images to the blog and wrote stuff but I was also in near constant contact with my father's caretakers and my siblings. My father's dementia became much worse after my mother's death and as the executor, administrator and all around person most responsible it felt like a big reach to be away from my dad for even a week. If I wasn't the kind of person who, at that time, mostly operated from a place of general anxiety I might have soothed myself with the knowledge that my dad was in the best memory care facility in San Antonio and getting round the clock care. But with anxiety one is nearly always waiting for the next shoe to drop...

After I returned I backed-up the photos I'd taken onto several hard drives and promptly ignored them for several years. There were a few images that I'd included in blogs and they were within easy reach so I've used them to illustrate posts here and there. The rigors of navigating work, family and the care of my father demanded my full attention at the time. The images from Iceland weren't needed in the moment and so laid fallow.  But recently my re-entry into the Panasonic m4:3 world prompted me to go back and make a more thorough evaluation of my best examples from that previous tenure with the system. And the images from the G9s loomed large. 

I remember bringing along two Panasonic G9 cameras and a handful of lenses. I brought along the Olympus 12-100mm f4.0 Pro, the Panasonic/Leica 15mm f1.7, the Panasonic 8-18mm and the Sigma 30mm f1.4 Contemporary. Everything packed down into a small, easy to manage backpack and that backpack fit under the airline seat in front of me. The system was manageable and easy to use. I remember, at the time, being impressed with both the battery life and also the incredible image stabilization but later realized that the quality of the raw files and Jpegs were the real selling points of the cameras. That and the "all weather" handling.

The finder in the G9 is still competitive in the current market and successive firmware updates have actually ensured that the video performance of the camera is also highly competitive with current camera models from various systems. In all I shot well over 7000 images and fewer than 1% were marred by technical issues stemming from the cameras or lenses. Most of the failures were from attempts to handhold the system at far too low a shutter speed (too much subject movement) or my own failure to fine tune exposure. The usual dig at Panasonic's m4:3 cameras is focusing accuracy but there were no signs whatsoever that this was a weak point in my use of the cameras. 

My father is gone. My mortgage is paid off. The happy burden of paying for Ben's university experience is in my rear view mirror. I have time now to look back at projects, many of which I probably rushed through too quickly. With my renewed interest in the small format system it seemed only natural to go back and re-introduce myself to my own "lost" work.

My biggest realization is just how good the lenses for the m4:3 system are. From both makers. I'm re-amazed at how wonderfully sharp and satisfying the 12-100mm lens is. It's even better in 2022 than it was in 2018 in large part because I shot so many raw files and now Lightroom and Photoshop have become better and better at digging into, and revealing, the detail and scope of the files. The post processing control is downright intoxicating. And perhaps some of that feeling is down to being able to take time to really work a file when I want to. The 15mm f1.7 was a wonderful street shooting lens for me because it's small and light but gives a wonderfully even tempered look to the files it creates. The 8-18mm lens was a sleeper. Now the software corrections are so good that the lens looks miraculous.

I re-imported all the files into Lightroom and I can see some faults in the way I shoot in general. I tend to shoot too many frames with too few substantive changes between frames. I guess, in the moment, if one frame is good then a dozen seems better. The mindset being that I might stumble across a slight difference that makes all the difference in the world to the photographs. I'm also reticent to change lenses when I really should. I try to cram whatever I'm shooting into the parameters of whatever lens I currently have clicked onto the front of the camera. I should be less lazy...or carry more cameras with different focal lengths attached to each. 

The current rev of Lightroom has powerful masking tools that allow for quick, localized color and exposure corrections. This capability didn't exist when I first barreled though the images in 2018. Now I use it liberally and it's a godsend for skies that are too light or foregrounds that are rendered too dark. I'm evolving a more "hands on" methodology...

The G9 is a five or six year old model now but the images seem to me to have just as much overall quality as the files I'm getting from current cameras. It makes me consider buying another one. But I'll wait and see if Panasonic comes out with an upgrade to that model this year. For now it's the lenses that have me captivated. 

I guess this whole experience is a lesson I need to learn over and over again. That it's better to dive deeper into images from a project than it is to move more quickly. That, and perhaps it's a good idea just to hang on to cameras that deliver the goods. No matter how much greener the grass looks over on the other side of the glaciers...

 
Marshes next to the coast line.


































I despair of never becoming a decent landscape photographer. 
But that doesn't mean I won't stop trying...


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superb selection of images from a beautiful country. What a marvelous memories you have. Colours are truly remarkable. I am guessing the light was just right...

Derek said...

Cracking images Kirk - love the rich tonality of these. They have a very satisfying 'in the moment' feel about them too... something lacking in most landscape images these days.

Dick Barbour said...

Methinks you belittle your landscape ability too much! Great images from a great camera system.
Dick

pixtorial said...

I love your reflection on not being so quick to move on from cameras that deliver the goods. I'm now some four years into our pair of Fujifilm X-T2 bodies and the same small set of lenses in use the entire time. I would be telling tales if I said that I am not enamored with the idea of returning to m4/3, but the Fuji pair have earned their keep and work just as well today as ever. Add to that the fact that my daughter and I "know" the cameras and lenses pretty well by now and it argues against any change for the sake of change. They do what we need (light video work, some natural light portraiture but mostly music and theatre events) and then some. I do agree that the Panasonic G9 holds its own with any contemporary sub-full frame bodies today, and having shot the Oly 12-100 before I agree that it is an incredibly satisfying lens.

ASW said...

I think that your vision translates nicely to landscape photos, and I can definitely recognize parallels between the style of your more typical on-the-street photos and this set. Don't give up on being a landscape shooter just yet.

While I can't claim to be a great or probably even good photographer, the reason I like to go back through my photos every now and again is because they allow me to better remember the places I have seen and experienced while hiking and backpacking. Looking through files from 10+ years ago puts me right back into the feelings I was having at the time (e.g., "wow it's hot...," "dang it's cold...," "look at that sunset...," "will this wind ever stop blowing...," "BEAR!").

John Krumm said...

Looks like the gorgeous light I was used to when I lived in Southeast Alaska. Always felt a little like cheating for photography, when so much of the day is the golden hour. I like how you photograph the crowds and give honest context to the scene.

Michael Matthews said...

I thought there must have been more to the Iceland trip than was shown earlier. I don’t know how much of this series includes extensive post processing….vs jpeg…but the result is most satisfying. Once again, you’ve confirmed the lasting value of the G9. And, relatively new to me, the added value of the new layer-like masking / adjustment process in Lightroom. To any other old curmudgeons like me who refused to knuckle under to Adobe’s subscription plan - give it up! The added value is worth way more than $9.95 a month, and that gives you all the expanded and refined functions of continuously updated Photoshop as well.

Rich said...

nice ones Kirk

Unknown said...

To Michael M- Yes I am one of those "curmudgeons" who refuse to pay Adobe's never ending rental fee of their software. I'v been using an old version of Lightroom (5.7) and an even older version of PS. I use Adobe .dng converter when the old versions no longer support a raw file from a camera I have.
Maybe its time to try the never ending cost of Lightroom. Maybe. I will give it a trial run.
thanks.

Eric Rose said...

Beautiful images Kirk. I am so glad you gave them another look see. When I first saw what you posted way back then I had a feeling your heart either wasn't in the taking or the post processing. I was hoping the later which as it seems was the case. I just knew you had gold in there somewhere! Thanks for digging it out and enjoying your trip once more in a more reflective stage of life.

I love the coastal and grassland images!

Eric

Michael Kohnhorst said...

There are so many great cameras in the current Panasonic Micro Four-Thirds lineup. I’ve been looking for a small walking around-take anywhere camera - like the GX7 cameras I wish I had kept. I borrowed my son’s GX85 this past weekend and had a ball with it. The GX85 is essentially an improved GX7 or a LX100 minus the fixed Leica zoom but with a tilting screen. It is a dense little body with a 16MP sensor. I shot with the Leica 15mm f/1.7 and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. I shot only RAW files, and processed the keepers as monochrome images using a program called Tonality. The GX85 is still available new, but it only comes with a pair of kit lenses that I wouldn’t use. It has been rising in value on the used market, but remains a bargain at $350 or so for a “like new” used body.

I’ve skipped successive iterations of the GH line, having owned GH1, GH3, GH5 cameras. The GH6 makes it tempting to move on from my trusty GH5, which I bought mainly for video. If I’m honest about the video I’m shooting, I don’t need the substantial video improvements of the GH6, and I would rather not invest in CF cards and new batteries. The more I think about it - and look at the beautiful images from your G9 - perhaps getting a G9 and trading the GH5 for a GH5S may make the most sense for me.

Everyone’s situation is different. I’m 72 and just not feeling the need to be on the cutting edge of camera tech or anything else with the exception of medical advances. I don’t believe that improvements in sensors, file formats, etc. will provide a meaningful difference in my photography or cinematography. Plus, the trailing edge of technology is much more affordable.

Thomas Backa said...

Beautiful images indeed. The Olympus 12-100/4 is a gem. I put one on the front of my camera several years ago and there it has stayed since then.

Mitch said...

I too shoot too many frames without substantive changes. I think that's left over from the film days, worrying when you had a good scene you were working, that the one you'd just adore would be the one that had a gouge in the emulsion from the film drying clips. So, you shot extras.

And I kinda like going back to older shoots. Some of the excitement of the event and attachment to what I was thinking is faded and I can really separate "me" from the process of culling. And instead insert that me-energy into the toning of the ones that survived a much more detached winnowing.