6.09.2022

I missed it by "that much"! I saw this camera in an announcement that went out from the Leica Store Miami earlier today....



 

The camera pictured here is the latest offering from Leica. It's a Leica M-A film camera. They call it a Leica M-A Titan. It comes in a limited edition kit with a matching 50mm APO Summicron ASPH lens. They call it a Titan because all the external parts are machined out of the ultimate "boy" metal; Titanium. 

I was out on business this morning and I saw this message on my phone. I just had to have one. I made a note in my calendar to head to the website with a handful of credit cards the minute I got back to the house. The asking price for this limited edition film camera was a little unsettling at $19,995 but knowing the LeicaStoreMiami I figured they'd throw in the shipping for free. 

My hands quivered with nervous energy as they hovered over the keyboard. I opened up the browser and navigated to the store's website. The earlier ad said the edition of this camera kit would be limited to 250 units, world wide. This would be the most expensive camera purchase I had ever made but it would all be worth it if the Tri-X I pulled out the freezer was somehow magically imbued with, well, more magic. 

My Birkenstocks clattered on the floor as my anticipation built. The site opened. The camera came right up on the splash page. I got ready to hit the "Buy" button. But then all the air left the balloon of impending happiness and fulfillment. I saw the note. Only three worlds but to me if felt like the collapse of a dream. 

"Edition Sold Out." 

Sure, we can argue all day that I can do something better with the money. We could have discussed the cold, hard fact that I no longer shoot film and have no interest in doing so. But....Titanium! My one or two friends who might know about this camera would have been so impressed. Sure, I would  probably have tried to hide the purchase price from my partner but since she handles the taxes and accounting it would have all come out in the wash... and that would not have gone as well as I might fantasize. 

My question to you is: Which one of my VSL readers got there in front of me? I hope you're happy....

(The camera, price and "sold out edition" are all real. What is not real is my having any intention at all of buying a camera like this. Or spending that kind of money on a camera that's more valuable not being used. I added this disclaimer at the end for the occasional preachy reader who flies into a rage when taking me literally on stuff like this. Not buying one. Not interested. Can't reliably spell Veblen but.....). 

I bet it comes with a really cool presentation case too.


18 comments:

Frank Grygier said...

A lot less money than the new ARRI Alexa 35 4K.

Chuck Albertson said...

For that price, they should fly *you* to Miami to pick it up.

But I seem to recall Leica doing a one-off titanium body and 3 lenses several years back, for someone in the Mideast. It's not the easiest metal to work with, especially in its raw ("sponge") form, prone to spontaneous combustion.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Sean. Exactly. That's what I had in mind.

Frank, thanks for the alternate suggestion. Do they make a limited edition version?

Chuck, my first class roundtrip might eat into their profits....

JC said...

You really did miss a huge opportunity. I'm not exactly a tax lawyer, but let's say your income taxes are ~30%. As a fulltime pro, the camera would be deductible, reducing your cost to a manageable ~$14,000. (I'm not only not a tax lawyer, I'm not good at math, either.) So you have your $14,000 camera, hang onto to it for a couple of years, long enough for the IRS to forget about the deduction, and then you unload on some chump in China for $30K. N'est ce pas? (Nor do I speak French.)

Michael Meissner said...

I must admit each time I see these special edition Leicas come out, I always wonder how many of these actually shoot film. In general with the price, they always seem to be shelf-wear, meant to go in a glass case next to the other expensive 'toys', but never used for the purpose they are theoretically designed for.

But maybe titanium isn't your thing, but wood is. Consider this little beauty that is made by the Wooden Model Design company in Vietnam:
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/4778388518893007/?rt=9&referral_code=page_shop_tab&ref=page_shop_tab

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

Leica sold titanium versions of the 35mm and possibly some other lenses around 2001. But I think these were titanium color, not genuine titanium metal used in the barrels. The silver or chrome versions were chrome on top of brass, so these really were nice (but heavier).

Unknown said...

No doubt it would sit in your equipment cabinet to be taken out only on rare occasions. Just like the Ferrari you had to have which stays in the garage 364 days a year. Or the time you saw.....
cheers and beers,
jb

TMJ said...

I saw that they were advertised, yesterday; not a particularly attractive camera and lens, to be honest.

However, I have seen a very nice gold-plated M4-2 with the version of the 50mm Summilux I have been after for a while and at a quarter of the price. I'm actually quite tempted and I'm sure M.J. would love it...............

Robert Roaldi said...

I learned a new term yesterday, Velvet Rope marketing. Some celebrity painted his Ferrari a weird shade of blue and now Ferrari has banned him from buying future models because he violated the terms of service. Apparently when you buy a Ferrari (or maybe this applies to only some special models) you promise not to modify it in un-approved ways. Makes me wonder if you're allowed to use this camera to actually takes pictures, best to check the fine print on the contract. Btw, I didn't notice any mention of whether the titanium was recycled or new from the smelter.

crsantin said...

Just thinkng out loud but would this have actually been a good investment opportunity? Kind of like buying stock or a rare sports car. Hang on to it for a few years and sell it at a profit. Untouched and unused.

David said...

I’ve been cleaning out the house of a recently deceased relative and discovered 150 Barbie dolls still in their original packages. I guess somewhere there’s someone with a closet full of Leicas, also still in their original packages. I don’t get it.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

In response to David above, there are closets full of unused Leicas. In reality, it is safe deposit boxes. That is why I so often you see beautiful older Leica models appear on eBay or other sites in almost perfect condition. Some old geezer bought a Leica, put it in the safe deposit box, and left it there. He dies, and his widow or descendants have to unload the thing. This is not all bad because provides good condition older cameras for people who want to use them.

christer3805 said...

I bought two.

Stephen said...

Of course you passed up the M-Titan. You went for this one, right? https://petapixel.com/2022/06/10/limited-edition-gold-leica-m6-being-released-in-honor-of-the-thai-king/


Stephen

Robert Hudyma said...

Kirk:

Be careful, Justin Bieber bought a limited edition Ferrari, then painted it Neon Blue.
Ferrari then banned him from buying any further limited editions.

Door Shut, Case Closed.

Full story here.

Stopped me from spray-painting my M4 to Uber Collectable Basic Black.

Rick said...

My kid attends college in a fancypants Bay Area town filled with fancypants cars. She sent me a pic of a local Ferrari that is I kid not, camo. I presume it's wrapped, not painted camo but who's to say and further, does Ferrari refuse to service it because they sold a car to someone so louche? Guessing they'd be sad to not collect the, speculating here, $450/hr shop fees.

Do love my Ti-skinned Contax G and T models. Too bad they're relics and not "working" cameras because they're pretty to look at and a pleasure to use.

Anonymous said...

Did you get the gold plated M10 instead than?
David

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I opted for the CL carved out of a block of pure platinum. You know, the one with the plutonium battery that keeps a charge for, like, 50 years or so.... If it's good enough for NASA...