6.15.2022

The anxious anticipation of having to change ISPs. The universe likes to create busy work for us sometimes.


 Michelle.

The universe likes to wait until my life is motoring along on an even keel before shaking things up again. 

I've used the same internet service provider to host my website and handle my email since the mid-1990s. It was one thing I never had to dwell on. I'd send along a check once a year, in January, and then spend the rest of the year happily sending stuff out and peeking from time to time at my website (always thinking that I should re-design it again...). Occasionally something would go wrong with my e-mail but it usually turned out to be something I had done to muddle up the settings. One or two calls to the ISP's service people (yes! real people on the phone, located here in Austin!) and everything would roll right back to normal. 

But at the start of June I got an email from the business owner telling me that they were exiting the business; shutting down at the end of the month. And that left me terrified. I haven't had to learn anything about the back end of email or hosting for.....decades. 

As with most uncomfortable things I have been procrastinating about the change for the better part of two weeks. Today I decided to confront my fears and transition my website and mail to a new provider. 

I assembled my password notebooks, backed all kinds of crap up, read everything I could about IMAP mail and POP3 mail and making transitions. The whole process took about.... one hour. Everything checks in well. The site is live. The transition is in a state of orderly transition and I'm on to the next project. 

Worry is a price you pay for something you may never get. 

Topics coming up: 

An argument against the idea that all smaller than full frame formats are destined to die soon. 

A long form review of the Panasonic GH6 as an all around hybrid camera. 

Thoughts about Leica's retreat from the CL and TL APS-C systems. 

And, if I make it through the week, a few observations from three different photo shoots. Two with people and one with seafood. 

And, an admission that my optimistic estimate of the Fed's interest rate was wrong. They sprang for the whole enchilada. Why not just make it a full point and be done for the year....?


9 comments:

TMJ said...

A sumptuous portrait.

Larger formats than 24x36 are more likely to die than 'smaller frame'.
Panasonic GH6, a beautiful all-round imaging machine.
More likely a crucial part was difficult to source, than they wished to retire them - CL and TL APS-C systems. (although they have a 6 year repair commitment in place).

What's next then?

JC said...

Excellent portrait.
There are more enchiladas to come from the Fed -- a whole point wouldn't have done it for the year. They're talking about another .75 in both July and August. Recession coming down the road...

EdPledger said...

Enchiladas verdes, enchiladas rojas….real estate in New Mex, whether Santa Fe or Los Alamos, might ease down, maybe even Austin. As JC said more hikes coming. Rough on us poor folks, but inflation is worse when you are a retired Texas teacher without an actual cost of living increase since 2002. Thank you Tex legislature which views teaching as women’s work, so hubby’s retirement is all you need.

Chuck Albertson said...

Can't you schedule another root canal? Lots more fun than switching IPS...

karmagroovy said...

Looking forward to hearing about the seafood shoot. Did you happen to reel-in a portrait session with Charlie the Tuna? ;-)

Eric Rose said...

I recommend siteground as your new provider. I've put a ton of client on them as well as my own stuff.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Eric, I already made the switch to another provider before I saw your message. Next time...

bt1138 said...

I don't understand smaller than full-frame 35mm sensor cams right now. You're fighting cell phones w/ lots of pixels. That's the competition. Sales volume must be achieved or it's all over.

APS-C cameras themselves are not much smaller and the manufacturers have mostly let the lenses for the (mainstream) APC-S cameras die on the vine. They don't want them to challenge their "real" cameras, it's clear. If there are benefits to smaller sensors for things like video or burst rate whatever, make a video camera and let it be known.

Anyone buying an actual dedicated camera is at this point a very odd bird, and they want something more. Full frame 35mm is the minimum going forward. I've been a camera hound for 40 years, and I say APS-C is a dead man walking.

Look at that Sigma FP, you are one of the few to admit to using it. Tiny, full-frame (but needs some refinement). We need more like that. An OM-1 for modern times, that's where I want to go.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

And I think the real future is smaller formats and more computational processing. Merging the strengths of interchangeable lenses with the imaging power of the cell phones. By that estimation full frame is already dead.