7.16.2022

Brain fried after a week of retouching and compositing portrait files for two different clients. Be careful what you bid....


 Ab Astris Winery. Grape Harvest. Summer 2021.

Camera: Sigma fp

Lens: Sigma 24-70mm f2.8

Over the last several weeks I had a couple of clients who really wanted to get a bunch of environmental portraits done of their people. When I talked to the people requesting the photos they each suggested that they really liked environmental shots done either outdoors or in various locations that were indoors but showed the outdoors through windows. 

When we first started talking the temperatures in Austin were already stultifying. In fact, we just set a new record last week for the highest average temperatures in a seven day week. Our average temperature (coolest night time and hottest daytime - averaged) was 92.5° Fahrenheit. Over the last week, during working hours, the high temps ranged from 110° and 105°. And we are not living in a super dry desert; we bundle the heat with the humidity for heat indexes as high as 115°. 

After talking to both sets of clients I realized we needed to deal with two different issues. One client wanted all outdoor shots and the heat made that ... inadvisable. No matter where we shot in Austin anyone in work clothes would have to get to a good location and there were none we know of (or that the client liked) where someone could drive up in an un-air conditioned car, hop out, get photographed in a few minutes and then leap back into the comfort of their still running vehicle and drive away. So we needed a solution for shooting exterior Texas location portraits without dragging employees into the great, baking outdoors. Otherwise I'd need to take a crash course in retouching sweat covered faces and melting make-up. 

The solution I presented was to photograph each employee against a light, neutral background, in an air conditioned space, and then drop them into a previously shot image from one of the environmental backgrounds we all agreed we liked. So that's the way I photographed them. A bunch of people on soft white seamless and then a bunch of actual location backgrounds from a quasi corporate location. I brushed off the whole process of doing convincing composites as being "easy as pie"; especially when armed with the new selection tools in PhotoShop. 

With the second group we didn't have to discuss much to get them "on the bus" when it came to photographing everyone inside. In fact, it worked well for them because they had their annual board meeting at a local hotel and were happy to rent an extra conference room there and schedule all of their people into a four hour time chunk of time. The bigger challenge was getting a good selection of background images that represented corporate environments and which would also read well when made out-of-focus so we could keep the attention on the human subjects. 

The shoots came off without much of a hitch. I did learn one thing that was interesting to me. I've heard for years from other photographers that some lenses are just too sharp to use when taking portraits. I never really experienced that, or believed that, before. But with both of these portrait sessions, just days apart, I used the new (to me) Panasonic/Leica 42.5mm f1.2 short telephoto lens on the new GH6. Okay. The lens is too sharp for portraiture. When I opened the files in Photoshop they revealed every nook and cranny and every pore on every face. In the raw conversions the preset for sharpening is something like +40. I had to set the sharpening during raw conversion to "off" (or zero). Anything else was just cruel. 

I've been making portraits of people on locations for .... decades. I have that part of the process down. But the part that's relatively new to me is compositing something like 32 different people's images onto a collection of backgrounds of office interiors, industrial exteriors and general corporate environments. 

I bid a day to do the post production work on the second job. It took two full days of sitting in front of my computer fixing double chins, getting rid of layer matting, matching colors and general contrasts, and even just trying out a certain background with a certain person and quickly realizing that the two images just didn't resonate well with each other --- which sent me back to the "selected backgrounds" folder to try a few other options instead. 

I'd never really admit it to a client but a lot of the time was spent using the liquify tools to take the appearance of weight off various subjects. That, and fixing double chins were the two most time intensive parts of the process but I'm happy to let people believe that I'm just really good at lighting them well. I never really want to explain just how much retouching actually gets done on some photographs. It would be borderline cruel. 

I delivered the files to both clients this week. The bigger job just went out yesterday, at the end of the work day. I took a few notes:

I'll never bid a project with intensive post processing without first testing the procedures I'm going to use first, and keeping track of just how much time each image will take. Especially the worst case scenarios. I thought I could ballpark it but I guessed wrong. I'm also out of practice at sitting still for long periods of time and my attention would wander over to that newish pair of hiking boots in the corner....and the lovely camera and lens on the edge of my desk. And that hot dusty trail that might need human company...

So, why would I put myself through this work stuff? Why not just stop working and retire? Hmm. When you've built a client base and have been successful at raising prices to at least keep up with inflation there's always the lure of potentially living from your cash flow. You may have saved up a huge nest egg of cash and you may have done so well that you'll never run out, but if you've been running a business for decades, and living completely from the cash flow that the business generates, then actually accessing your own savings instead is a new and painful process that has (yet) to be mastered. And I'm not about to learn this new trick yet. Especially when the markets are down.

I know my brain well enough that I can almost hear the little hamster wheel spin when I think about which jobs to accept and which ones to pass on. Knowing our family's general burn rate and also my general tolerance, or intolerance, for being trapped by scheduled work I'm always looking for jobs that can be completed in three days or less which have the potential to return enough in fees to cover one month of our minimum burn rate. If I can consistently do three days (or a few more) in a month and hit the needed budget then that's one more month that retirement investments can remain in their accounts and create more future money. "Photographers become exhausted. Their money never gets tired of working...." (Robert Adams).

The balance is to find the types of jobs, and the clients who have the jobs, that provide a good working base. The other part of the balance is to get rid of the clients whose jobs you don't enjoy, who don't want to pay what you need to offset your burn rate with the least amount of long term work or commitment. 

Next time I'll know to bid more on the post processing part of a job. It's part of the ever-present segment of the learning curve. 

Oh, and next time I shoot a portrait for a client I'll find a less over-achieving lens with which to do it.

The Nocticron is great for shooting gritty, contrasty, ultra sharp art portraits and photos but there's no instance in which I would describe it as "flattering." 

Learning to live well with the heat. Or in spite of the heat. Pray for our fellow humans in the UK. They are about to experience the same kind of intense heat wave but, for the majority, without the gift of air conditioning.... Yikes.

21 comments:

Frank Grygier said...

A 1/8 black mist filter will tame the bite of that lens. I wonder who your last client will be and when.

Unknown said...

If you still have your old (1970's vintage) 50mm Nikkor try it wide open- believe me it won't be too sharp!
At the current stage of your career it makes all the sense in the world to pick and choose your client. Years of prior work enable you to do that.
The world is slowly, almost imperceptibly getting hotter. One summers day in the not too distant future the deniers will no longer be able to be distracted by political factors.
cheers, Jb

Eric Rose said...

Wise income plan. Just enough to satisfy your desire to be behind the camera with paying clients with the added bonus it's cements your investments. I did that for about 10 years before I totally retired. Never needed the money during those 10 years but it sure was nice for fun stuff and let the "working" money do it's thing that much longer.

I will have to try some of these new wizzy PS features. Sounds like fun.

Eric

Greg Heins said...

I’m a huge fan of 1/4 or 1/2 black promist filters for almost every portrait over the age of 12. Sometimes a Pearlescent filter. I also routinely apply a 103% enlargement in the vertical direction for portraits that are head & shoulders or closer. And then after that all the other work starts and yes, it always takes longer than I expect. Sigh…

Chris DC said...

Your comments allude to choosing work (clients) you want to do rather than work that you need to do. I recently concluded one career and embarked on another. In this new gig, I am "curating" the work I do and the "clients" I am willing to work with. The result is that I am really enjoying the freedom to decline unpleasant tasks. It doesn't seem like work anymore.

Kirk, keep writing!

CDC

ASW said...

I'm curious about the reasons for the "beautification" that you're doing in Photoshop (e.g., "take the appearance of weight off").
Does the client ask for this? Do the photo subjects ask for it? Is this normal practice for portrait photographers? I can see how it is in your business interest to create the impression that your photo skills make people look 10 years younger and 20 pounds lighter, but it feels a bit weird to me.
I'm just imagining the scenario where you take my picture, wave your magic Photoshop wand, and make me look like a young Brad Pitt. Unfortunately, everyone who knows me is very aware that I am not Brad Pitt, so they're going to be confused when they see the picture. Even worse, if the CEO comes down from on high to personally award Brad Pitt his sixth consecutive Employee of the Month award, he's going to be confused when I come lurching out of my office. He's a professional, so he'll still smile while shaking my hand, but his disappointed eyes will be saying "Wow, Brad Pitt really let himself go since he got his picture taken..."

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

ASW....are you seriously asking if people would like to look great in their portraits? We're not talking total plastic surgery here but maybe someone gained 20 pounds during Covid lockdowns and they intend to lose the weight. Is it okay to use a bit of photoshop magic to make their photo match their intention? We're not making legal documentations for a court case here. We're making pleasing images that people put up on corporate websites. And yes, I'd rather have a happy client than to try for some fictive moral high ground.

Is it less truthful than someone using a headshot from ten years ago on today's websites and in marketing? Since acne pimples are temporary is it okay to remove them? If someone got sunburned playing golf the weekend before their photo session is it okay to pull some red out of the skin tone to compensate? What is someone just had surgery to remove a tumor on their face and the scar is still healing. Would it be okay if I make the scar less obvious? Am I cheating the system if I remove an egregious nose hair?

If you work directly for a client you will find them to be happier if they look better. If you are working editorially you can be as unwavering as you'd like. If you are shooting portraits for yourself you can embrace your inner Abraham Lincoln to your heart's content.

But everything we do to create a photographic portrait is an artifice in one regard or another. Right down to our choice of lens or lighting.

I hope you are just playing devil's advocate or you haven't been paying attention to the portrait markets at all......

Frank Grygier said...

If making clients look great in their portraits was not a ubiquitous part of the industry, Photoshop would only be available on the Dark Web and would cost at least one Bit Coin for a one-year license.

ASW said...

Hi Kirk,
Yes, I was honestly asking out of curiosity about your process (and having a bit of fun because I'm a smart ass). I am just a hobby photographer, mostly interested in landscapes and wildlife, so no idea how it works for a professional portrait photographer.
I have taken lots of pictures of family (from toddlers to grandparents) to document events, to have for my own memories, and to give as gifts. All have been warmly received and the most retouching I have done is exposure adjustment. Admittedly, I don't own Photoshop and have no interest in learning how to use it, so maybe my process is shaped as much by laziness as any high-minded standards. Again, no one is paying me so maybe I'm operating under low expectations.
I also have a collection of original and copied family photos. I have pictures of my grandma from the 1930s, where she is a child. I have a picture of her laughing and holding me when I was a baby and she looks like a Midwest farmer's wife in her 50s. I have the last picture I took of her before she recently passed away at age 96 and she looks like a tired old woman.
Would these pictures be better if some of the lines and sun spots were removed from her face, or if some Photoshop wizard had artfully reduced the river of drool from my baby triple chin?
Obviously this is not analogous to your working situation. No one is hiring or paying me, and when I look at the photos I have taken and collected I want to see and remember the real people, not some idealized vision of them.
You said "everything we do to create a photographic portrait is an artifice in one regard or another." I guess that's the difference between art, where the end product is a combination of reality and the artist's vision, vs documentation. One of my favorite (cliché) photo subjects is sunsets. I love to experience and try to photograph good sunsets, but I have never felt the need to twiddle a bunch of sliders on a computer to turn a beautiful sunset into a MORE beautiful sunset.

John Merlin Williams said...

Hi ASW
(Speaking from experience as having done commercial photography, and later in life, senior management in both small business and large enterprise). The client for corporate portraits is the corporation, and their interests (of necessity) are largely about marketing and PR. Within certain bounds, complimentary images of their team is a real asset for both. An all too common practice is to use years-old headshots, which to me is more disingenuous and even less flattering to the employee and management.

Chris Beloin said...

Greetings Kirk:

Thanks for your musings on the work/retirement transition debate. There is something alluring about bringing home the results of your toil to share with the family. You are at the top of your craft & it feels satisfyingly to produce results.

I have many clients in this same situation, able to easily retire on their life savings but unable to quite make that transition. One answer is to look to your legacy ask "what is the purpose for this money I've saved?" For me building a generosity vision & plan works as a driving force going forward. I am trying to deploy extra funds I have towards some larger purpose. Certainly seems to be enough needs in our communities. Perhaps an endowed photography scholarship?

Chris in Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

I get what ASW is saying for documentary family photography, for which the audience is necessarily very limited, and what Kirk is saying for professional portraiture, for which the audience can be vast (and most of them will never actually have an in-person encounter with the subject of the photo anyways). As JMW said, it is all about putting your best corporate image forward. Different uses, different audiences: though both are portraits, they are about as far apart in intent and content as full-color product shots and grainy b/w "art" photos.

Yup, and that's why my wife calls me captain obvious. :)

Ken

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi ASW, Sorry for my pithy first reply. I forget that not everyone spends every minute of the day ruminating about professional, corporate portrait photography. You are correct in assuming that the retouching can be way over the top sometimes. I try to have a light hand with the paid work and do almost no clinical retouching on my own personal work.

PhotoShop can be an addictive marketing solution for paid work. It's just so easy to clean up yellow teeth and take some of that coarse detail out of someone's facial skin tone. From an ethical point of view it would never work for news photography. I'd get bounced out of a job ASAP if I started manipulating news photos.

There's more leeway in editorial work and you see it all the time in fashion work. Corporate clients are as attuned to fashion and way people look in catalogs and ads. In most of those instances major retouching has been brought to bear. So when the clients are inundated daily, even hour by hour, by obviously retouched images it's only logical that they'd like some of that magic sent their way when being photographed.

Even a bit too much is usually way too much. But do consider that my writing can veer into the realm of hyperbole from time to time....

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Chris, we've been working with a coach we've known forever. I'm not interested in subsidizing young photographers since I don't see photography as a critical occupation for the betterment of the most needy people in our societies. Also, I have to work as a team with my spouse so agreement about charitable giving is a given. We are aimed at making contributions to the most pressing causes: hunger, homelessness, and early childhood development. There's more than enough there to keep any would be philanthropist writing checks for the rest of their life.

Your point is well taken. We can do with a bit less and society can certainly use our excess.

The secret, it seems, is donating wisely which means taking advantage of matching campaigns, finding charities that are most efficient and least administratively top heavy which also deliver immediate support to those with the most pressing needs.

Examples in the Austin area might be: The Capitol Area Food Bank and Mobile Loaves and Fishes. Both of which we have started to support. When the government sends us "free" money (Covid stimulus checks....) it goes directly back out the door in the form of donations. That was our starting point.

Anonymous said...

I pondered replying to your first reply to ASW, Kirk, as it brought back memories of a friend at work who had been tamping mad when her wedding photographer had airbrushed out a distinctive lifelong scar from her face in all the pictures. Then I remembered that they'd also photoshopped a weird haze of confetti over a crowd scene... So the comparison wouldn't have been fair because the work they'd done was crud. (Have also seen headshots where friends have ended up with the wrong eye colour...)

There's been a pretty active debate in the UK for a while now about the ethics of fashion photography, particularly where the tweaks are not minor. (Kate Winslet getting particularly vocal), so I suspect there's also some subtly different cultural stuff going on too. Thanks for the second (more Kirky reply)

Anyway. I'm going to go water the plants... Here it's forecast to hit desert like temperatures today and tomorrow and we're really not built for it.

Mark

adam said...

the weathermen here are telling everyone to open all windows first thing to let the cool air in, then close them and all curtains, trying it today, it's pretty good, about the hottest point of the day right now and I'm hot but not overwhelmed, will open up later on, was in madrid in 1995 when it was 45 celsius, like being in an oven, was 50 in seville at the time and people were dying

adam said...

I just checked it's 8 degrees c cooler inside than out with the "close all windows and drapes" method

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Adam and Mark, I have a suggestion for cooling things down without actual A/C. Wet a bath towel and put it in front of a box fan. If you have a set of background stands you can easily hang it on the cross bar. The fan blowing through the towel causes evaporative cooling and will definitely help lower temps. I've use this to good effect on remote location and even in my own office when the A/C crapped out and I was waiting for a replacement!

You, of course, have my empathy and sympathy for this nasty heat wave.

Anonymous said...

Aww cheers Kirk.

This is exactly why yours is the only blog worth reading!

Mark

adam said...

thanks, it's not too bad (classic british phrase), kind of sticky now, and temps will be much higher overnight, 5-6C more than yesterday, so not sure how much cool air there'll be in the morning, there is a huge area of cloud waiting to sweep in which might happen tomorrow, thunder is forecast, had a burst of rain yesterday out of the blue, I got some great shots with the GH5S after, here's one:

https://imgur.com/a/bBVmE8T

adam said...

this australian woman has been telling us to freeze a damp towel then sleep on it