8.18.2022

Live Theater Assignment this evening. Packing up. First live performance photography since 2020.


 This evening I'm heading over to a small theater to photograph the dress rehearsal of a modern opera. I have no idea about the content or the extended storyline but I'm thrilled to be back shooting live theater. The space is smaller than the main stage at Zach Theatre....by a factor of 4. I won't need much in the way of really long telephotos but I did pack judiciously. 

I'm stuffing  two cameras and three lenses into that Gitzo photo backpack I got earlier in the Summer. And it seems like a good idea since we're forecasted to have rain this afternoon/evening for the first time since June. Really. June.  (Finally, the forecast actually came true. Good rain this afternoon and more on the way!!!).

So, what am I packing? I decided to take the two Leica SL camera bodies, set up identically. Raw on one card and Jpeg on the other. The camera does good high ISO and I've gotten a lot of experience using them on every kind of project. I've packed four extra batteries --- because you never know.

The wide angle lens I packed is the Leica 24-90mm f2.8-4.0. It's sharp wide open. I'll use it there. The second lens is the big (but not too big) Panasonic 70-200mm f4.0 S-Pro. The reach might be overkill for the smaller space but it's better to have it and not use it than to want it/not have it and be disappointed because it got left at home. The third lens I packed is the Sigma 65mm f2.0 lens. Just because. 

For an opera this one is going to be short. About 90 minutes. Straight through with no intermission. Just the way I like it.

After a long hiatus it seems like the arts groups are getting back into action and ramping up their shows. I think I'll take along a face mask. Just in case...

6 comments:

Eric Rose said...

Must be nice to be back in the arts saddle again! Good idea taking a mask.

I hope you are wearing footwear appropriate for jumping in rain puddles after the shoot ;)

Eric

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Got my waterproof hiking boots on. Ready for action!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Two years! Looking forward to seeing the results. Your live theatre shots are always fun.

Mark

Jon Maxim said...

I have always envied your work with theatre groups. I wonder how one gets into it.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Jon,

Find a small theater group that is a non-profit and does good work and approach them with the offer to photograph a few shows for them gratis. Treat it like a big job and shoot for perfect. Put together a nice portfolio of images and approach bigger theater companies. They all need photos and video to market themselves. Some have budgets and some don't. If it's something I really love and it's a project of passion on which no one is getting rich but everyone is having fun I'll do it for free. For a while, when Zach Theater was having profound financial problems I volunteered for free for many earlier shows. They could barely afford the film and processing! But by the time their budgets recovered and they could pay I had a well stocked portfolio and a good client for the next 20 years.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Also, in many towns the non-profit theaters are a tightly knit community. Everyone knows every one else. Referrals are rampant. Be nice. Do a good job and you'll likely keep getting referred to new clients.