9.05.2022

Crossing over into editorial work. Not a big jump...

 

©Kirk Tuck. All Rights Reserved.

On the way to Johnson City, just this side of Dripping Springs, Tx. there was a restaurant combined with an outdoor amphitheater that featured lots and lots of live music. The restaurant and bar did a great business on days when the amphitheater was packed with music lovers. The place was called, "The Nutty Brown Cafe." 

I'd never been there before but an advertising agency was representing a natural gas service company and they asked me to head over there and take some photos. This was a few years back. A time when every photo shoot did NOT come complete with an ad agency entourage and a little coterie of clients. In fact, I had a cursory phone conversation with one art director, got a general feel for what they wanted and arrived by myself ready to introduce myself and get a bit of collaboration going with the kitchen staff. 

The above image of the chef du jour was not in the brief and probably not at all what the final client was looking for. But that's okay. We covered the job in a traditional way with smiling servers, dedicated kitchen workers, blue flames leaping under sizzling pans filled with Texas comfort food. Lots of images of people working with gas ranges...

The cook/chef and I ended up spending an hour or so making the requisite photos. We laughed at each other's jokes. We traded war stories about being "fry cooks" (I spent a couple of years during the early part of my career cooking for the bar shift/late night at one of Austin's legendary 24 hour diner/restaurants). 

Early on I noticed the tattoo on his hands; between his knuckles. Before I did my final pack up and exit I asked him if we could do one shot with his hands out in from of him. 

I was photographing with a Nikon D810 and a 24-120mm zoom that day. I had a small Nikon flash banging into a white corner behind me. We did ten or fifteen shots and then we both had to get back to work. He needed to prep for that evening's dinner rush and I had a deadline to meet for some quick turnaround images. 

What a fun way to end a shoot. 


2 comments:

Tom Farrell said...

Nice shot. I'm curious about why the right side of the photo is so much more defocused - the table doesn't seem to be further away than the range/pans/etc. on the left.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Just some gaussian blur in post for the fun of it. Nothing special.