10.24.2022

Portrait of Rebecca L. An actor I met while photographing "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert." This image done for fun, after the rehearsal shoots.

 


I loved watching Rebecca perform on stage. She had this really great energy that the very best performers seem to be able to channel into the roles they play. I asked her to pose for me one afternoon near the end of the run of the show.

We used one of the reception spaces at the Topfer Theater. I used several LED lights in big modifiers and mixed their light with the soft light coming in through a bank of windows. 

The session only lasted fifteen or twenty minutes but it was enough to get a dozen or so "keepers" that we both liked. I reworked the post processing a little today, dropping the original saturation down a bit and adding some shadow contrast. I finally got the image exactly where I wanted it.

Camera: Sony A7RII

Lens: 135mm f2.0

Observation: Generally, the photographs you capture before or after the "official" or "assignment" images are the ones you want to keep. There's a different energy. It's a shared thing. And it's critical, if you can, to eliminate any other audience at your session.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. Is it wrong to fall in love with almost every portrait you post? Amazing but calm.

R.A.

Jon Maxim said...

Having been around photography for over 60 years both professionally and (mostly) as a hobbyist I probably think, even though I know it's not true, that I don't need to learn any more. So I have never been interested in taking lessons/workshops from "big name" photographers. But I have thought, "If Kirk Tuck ever offers a portrait class, I'm going to have to go and learn his magic." However, I suspect you will never be able to offer such a course.

You see, I do read your posts carefully and I already know what the magic is. It is how you interact with your subjects. To be able to show us how it's done, you will need to engage at least 100 models of various types and spend at least 15 minutes getting to know each one before you take shot. Not likely to be a profitable endeavour for you.

Nonetheless - this one is right up there with you best Kirk. I salute the Master. [Takes off hat. Bows deeply.]

EdPledger said...

Just curious about processing the image. Not being critical, I like the lighting and the background and the colors (from a Sony!), but the light from the side windows shows up as a reflection highlight like a little bluish tear right in her pupil. Do you remove such highlights in processing? I am clueless about the process myself, would call it candid atmospherics, but was wondering how you worked with it. Thanks

Eric Rose said...

Beautiful image. Reminds me of the Afghan Girl. It's your gift Kirk, evocative portraits.

Eric

Rene said...

I've looked at this portrait before and always liked it. But today when I looked at it, I thought the focus looked a little soft. I asked my wife (whose vision is acute and who sees everything) to look at it and she said no, it's perfectly fine. I clicked on it to make it full full size, cleaned my glasses, and looked at it again. It still seemed a little off. Looks like it's time for an eye exam. So thanks for the impromptu eye test.

roger fisher said...

hi kirk you might like :
tom wright at austin tx

regards

roger fisher

https://loeildelaphotographie.com/fr/in-memoriam-tom-wright-1944-2022/?utm_source=Liste+ODLP+nouvelle+version&utm_campaign=d3c2f66b5a-Edition+du+26+octobre+2022&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_27b3627ade-d3c2f66b5a-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%28Newsletter+FR+10262022%29