10.17.2022

We got our first cold weather of the season today. It got down to 60° and stayed there most of the day. Might get even cooler in the middle of the week.

Sigma fp. 45mm.

I'm starting to think that all of the "practice" photos we take when we are just out with our cameras, tasked with no projects and no agenda in mind, are very much disposable. Maybe it's even a good exercise to learn how to toss away images permanently after you've looked at them. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in having hard disks more or less filled with lots of "almost" "nearly" "pretty good except for...." "so close" "so boring" etc. photographs. Someone mentioned on a different blog site that various masters of 20th century photography often felt the need to shoot two or three rolls of film every day, just to stay "tuned". Just to stay warmed up for the main events. 

Josef Koudelka was reported to have walked around a friend's house aimlessly shooting his camera each morning until he'd blasted through a couple of rolls of film. He felt it was something he needed to do to keep from getting rusty. Playing the scales as it were.

I seem to do the same thing but with the fecundity of digital cameras I come back home with hundreds and hundreds of frames. Not a handful. Not just a couple dozen. Some indifferent, most boring, but a few with promise. A very few.  

Schooled in the days of film photography we got into the mindset of never throwing images away. Even "seconds" or almost frames could be recycled as stock images or something. Now the costs of keeping a half million images on hand is trivial but the burden of having them in the mental subroutines we use to remember where we store it all is brutal. Excessive. Debilitating. 

Lately, like a sport fisherman, I've been tossing lots of catches back into the ocean of photos once I feel I've bagged my limit. I think I've come to a somewhat rational conclusion that since I'm not inclined to stop shooting all these files, wanted and unwanted, they are going to continue to increase in quantity and will eventually gum up the works. Both literally and figuratively. 

I've become less attached to the images that I used to be. Maybe it's the realization of my own fleeing years and the mortal goal posts getting progressively closer but I've realized that I don't want to spend whatever years (hopefully decades and decades) I have left hunched over the hot fires of a jam-packed computer sorting wheat from chaff and making some sort of catalog that will eventually dissolve like sugar in hot water. Better to start tossing now and with gusto then to become trapped by images that linger; vaguely wanted but mostly only as signposts along the way and not as real art, with real value. To me or anyone else. 

I like the image above. But it's not very compelling. I don't have a story that goes with it. It's decor in some downtown building at the corner of two famous streets. But whatever art is contains is lodged with the actual object and not my haphazard documentation of it. I can now bring myself to share it once here and then discard it permanently. A tiny part of a gorged hard drive will probably breathe a very small sigh of relief but then gird itself for the onslaught of more. 

It's an addiction to keep shooting when you've filled every nook and cranny of storage you own. Like a gambling addict the addicting rationale is to just keep buying more of those cute little hard drives and keep hoping that one of the stored images is a blockbuster prize/the winning lottery number, the must have NFT that's just temporarily dormant. But with the full knowledge that you'll never be shouting "Bingo!" Or "read em and weep" where all these images are concerned. 

You know the ones you need to keep. They are of treasured memories. Of close loved ones and their visual history. Your collection of celebrity photographs that may increase in value as the news cycles become ever more rabid and desparate. You keep the images that cause you to pause and look and smile every time you see them on your screen. But damn man, it's time to get rid of all the rest. 

 

7 comments:

Bill Stormont said...

This stands out as some of your most timely and wise writing. Especially the last paragraph.

You know the ones you need to keep…it's time to get rid of all the rest.

Yes I do, and it's past time here…thank you for the reminder.

David said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

My predicament precisely. I have 10+ TB of images on hard drives and keep adding more; as I practice my visual sense.

Though only a few of the images are worthy of posting on line, let alone printing, if I could make the time to print. And even fewer are worthy of my delusions of a book.

Yet I keep going out. Which I find relaxing.

Perhaps an answer is to step back into the restriction that film gave us, with the limitation of only having a few images that can be captured. Reaching into the drawer and pulling out an old 2 (4 or 8) GB card along with only one battery might enforce a limit on our ability to “practice”.

PaulB

Chuck Albertson said...

Kirk, if you're still planning that trip to Vancouver, they're going to flip the switch on Friday and deliver genuine fall weather (rain, and probably a bit of wind) after an unseasonably warm September and October - we hit 88 in Seattle on Sunday.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Chuck, Thanks for the update. We'll be there in the first week. Rain gear on hand. Weatherproof shoes and cameras.

Unknown said...

Musicians are an interesting analogue, some people like to record even the most informal of jam sessions, most people don't and just enjoy playing, and only record specific sessions and performances when the specific intention is there. Hindsight is the key of course. Hard to know whether an archivist in 50 years might find that assorted collection of files valuable - maybe after Austin gets flattened by a hurricane or whatever

Roland Tanglao said...

fingers crossed it won't be too rainy and cold in Vancouver! see you soon hopefully for a safe outdoor coffee :-) ...Rolandd