1.20.2023

Black and white camera response. A quick outing to test a theory...



 

The past couple of months have seen a lot of discussions about black and white photography. Michael Johnston is exploring a camera that's been converted to shoot exclusively in monochrome while YouTube is consistently buzzing with trials of the Leica Q2 and M10 Monochrom cameras that are engineered to photograph only in black, white and shades of gray.

On a theoretical level I think I would enjoy a monochrome camera but I'm not yet convinced that they are a must in order to make good, solid black and white images. 

I've been shooting black and white images with three different cameras lately and finding that the in-camera settings are very close to the way I like to see black and white photographs. While many cameras have B&W settings most seem only to strip out the saturation from color files and present that as the finished result. Some allow for filter settings which are emulations of the way some film emulsions reacted to yellow, green, orange and red filters. Fuji cameras are capable of being set up to emulate a number of classic black and white film looks and there is even a website that delivers a free app you can stick on your phone to dial in the settings for a pretty convincing look. Right down to the grain. That was one aspect of the Fuji X100V that I truly enjoyed!!! That camera does a very nice Tri-X imitation.

With the most recent Leicas the engineers seem to have paid close attention to the way in which most people like to see black and white files. When I use the "BW HC" setting on the Q2, the CL or the SL2 there is a boosted contrast but there is also some sort of filter emulation going on that makes the look of the file different from the look I get if I just shoot color and then kill the saturation. Leica seems to have modified the spectral response of various colors to derive a filtered look that I find very pleasing. 

The files above were shot with a Leica CL, equipped with a 56mm f1.4 Sigma Contemporary lens. I shot everything around f2.0 and I shot in DNG+Jpeg with the Jpeg files set to BW HC. 

These three photographs were taken in early evening down on the main street that runs North and South next to the UT campus. The clouds yesterday were beautiful and I wanted to capture that. I also like buildings and skies.

===========

My real reason for being over by the campus was to offer a counterpoint to a friend's unhappy text. He'd been trying his hand at street photography and decided that the younger generation had become so paranoid about photography, social media, pedophilia, etc. that it is almost impossible to photograph people in the street. He claimed that he got the "stink eye" from dozens and dozens of people just for walking down the street with a camera. He felt their suspicions of him were palpable. And his style is not a wide angle, close-up, in your face style either. 

Even in the diciest of neighborhoods around Austin I've never felt that this kind of reaction is really the case and after I read his text I grabbed a camera and headed over to the same area to walk around the same shops and fast food restaurants to see if culture had really morphed that much. Did everything change while I wasn't paying attention?  My contention being that people have not changed much and that they represent a feedback loop for your own attitude. A mirror.

I photographed for half an hour or so and got about ten photo scenarios in which people knew I was photographing and including them in the frames but either smiled or just went about their business unaffected. I sent the images along to my friend to make my point. 

Then, of course, it dawned on me how different our personalities are and how different our methodologies are. He's an introvert, I'm a far to the edge of the scale extrovert. He's not fond of interacting with people. I live for it. He tried to be a bit secretive when photographing on the street while I'm pretty much continuously broadcasting that I've got a camera in my hands and I like using it. Since this kind of work is really more or less a big mirror I see most people as open and gracious. He sees them as closed and protective. 

But whatever you believe that's what you project. And whatever you project is what you get back.
I think one benefit of having your hair turn white and wearing wool socks with your Birkenstocks is that young college students tend to identify you as a retired, grandfatherly figure whose retirement hobby is photography. Most of the people I encounter are quick to give a (mildly patronizing) smile and nod. It's all about what one projects. 

I'm happy to photograph just about anywhere. Below is a photo I took while taking a break for a cappuccino. I was photographing the two women sitting at the bar. We'd had a quick conversation when I was waiting for my coffee and I liked their energy. The out of focus guys in the foreground were discussing video production when I took the shot. When they saw the camera aimed in their direction they smiled and waved. I walked over and apologized for photo-bombing them into my shot. We all had a chuckle and then, a minute later we were deep into a discussion about which mirrorless system to buy into for general, day-to-day video production. Strangers are just friends you haven't (formally) met yet. 
coffee at Medici, on the Drag.

On the way home I wondered how the same location could yield such vastly different vibes. The answer, I think, lies in what you bring with you. 



13 comments:

Robert Roaldi said...

I know exactly what your friend is talking about.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I am, of course, oblivious.

John said...

I would agree with you. A smile, open attitude and a thank you in the local language are all you need. The exception, I think, is photographing children in the US. That's a situation bound to lead to trouble if you don't check with the parents first or they are clearly fine with it. In Europe, it's not such an issue, unless you're in France, where you're officially not allowed to take anyone's picture without their prior permission, but that's another story altogether.

Anonymous said...

Re b&w, I have a GF1 that's converted to IR. After years of post to get the red out, I decided to use the monochrome "film" setting and just work with the jpeg. Bingo! Exactly what I want and with a greatly streamlined workflow.

Sean Staples said...

Maybe suggest to your friend that he go out and begin by photographing buildings, or fire hydrants, or whatever. If anyone says anything negative, (they won’t), he has a ready explanation. Once he’s out there doing his own thing he’ll likely get comfortable at his own pace and hopefully branch out.

adam said...

I tend to get a full range of reactions from people wanting to pose for photos to physical assault (only once fortunately, he used his bike to knock me over very professionally, bystander said he'd just got out of jail), camera was fine apart from a small scuff on the base, lens hood took the bulk of the impact but is also fine...

JC said...

Remember when Vivitar (?) or somebody like that years ago made fake lens clip-ons, which had a right-angle mirror in them so you looked like you were shooting north when you were actually shooting west? Your friend could use one of those. (There were many wonders in the back pages of Pop Photo.)

Roland Tanglao said...

i'm an extrovert too but introverts rule the world :-) ! At least that's my "anecdata" about the great leaders i've met in my work and personal life :-) #ymmv

Bob F. said...

It's been a long time since a post made me stop and reflect seriously, but this one did. Like your friend, I'm introverted and tend to avoid personal interactions. However, I'm a pretty good amateur actor and can act as if I like people when I must. My wife says I'm good with people, but I know it's a sham. I wonder how much life would change if I could become like Kirk and enjoy meeting and talking with new people...

Think I'm going to try to do that!

jmarc schwartz said...

"Sur le chemin du retour, je me suis demandé comment le même endroit pouvait produire des vibrations aussi différentes. La réponse, je pense, réside dans ce que vous apportez avec vous."
C'est une vieille devise de maître YODA adressée à Skywalker. (star wars, episode V).

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

C'est vrai. Absolument.

Anonymous said...

If you go out on the street with a long lens and act sneaky, people are going to pounce. If you act like you belong, shoot with short primes within conversational distance, don’t hide what you’re doing, and smile, then you’ll be accepted much easier.

Joachim Schroeter said...

Been thinking about Monochrome bodies myself. Discarded the thought. I love to go out with only one body, one lens - perhaps a second lens if the focal lengths are more extreme (24+90; CL 11+65; etc.). But even looking through an EVF set to B&W, every now and then you‘ll come across a gorgeous scene - gorgeously coloured, that is - and which I wouldn’t want to forego for that extra bit of B&W of a monochrome body. Not to forget the possibility to tweak the greyscale rendition of certain colours in the final image (think red umbrella - depending on environment, might warrant lighter or darker grey) without having to carry colour filters. As an aside: even the known B&W aficionado and master Andreas Jorns (a monument among German photographers, with beautiful books to show) advises against monochrome bodies - for much the same reasons I laid out above.