1.14.2023

Strolling down the main drag across from my alma mater and banging away with the Leica Q2. Loving the way that sensor holds onto shadow detail and highlights. Really nice.

 

Construction never ends around the UT campus. A lot of the buildings that were lining the streets when I was at UT from 1974 to 1982 are getting torn down and buildings five times bigger are replacing them. Luxury dorms everywhere. When I lived on campus I lived, for a couple years, in an un-air conditioned dorm room. Yes, in Texas. My parents thought it might build character. I thought it would make me sweat. 

Air conditioned study lounge in the basement always kept at a Texas mandated 68°. You brought along a sweat shirt if it was a long study period....

Worked with the Q2 today. 

When I got home I found that FedEx had delivered the new (to me) used Zeiss 50mm f1.4 lens I ordered from Camera West. It looks perfect and the focus and aperture rings are like butter. Or, if you are doing the Mediterranean diet; like olive oil. Smooth and easy. 

I'll take it out for a spin on an appropriate camera tomorrow. Love the look through the finder of an SL2 so far.....

Anybody know how MJ is doing? 

4 comments:

adam said...

my neighbourhood is getting carved up by the university and tv companies duking it out for the larger buildings on offer, in my days at uni they built luxury dorms so they could rent them out for conferences in the summer, then the students were stuck with paying an arm and a leg for ensuite everything

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

The neighborhoods around UT are chocked full of high rise, high dollar condos, apartments and luxe dorms. UT is an elite school with tough admission standards. Lots and lots of wealthy kids go there. So does their parent's money. There are dorms on campus that are affordable but..... if the parents can afford it the kids are going to get Texas-Coddled. Most of them are driving BMWs and Mercedes as well.

Sad when as undergrad with a late model Honda Accord is pitied for their desperate need...

When I went to UT I lived in an un-air conditioned dorm (as above) on campus and drove around on a bike. Not an electric bike. Just a bike. Later I used the same bike to commute to my first non-UT job some 24 miles round trip. No UT student would consider that these days. The roads are too crowded and dangerous and bikes are not air conditioned.... Nor do most of them come with good audio systems...

Watched a student pull out of a dorm parking garage yesterday in a current model Bentley convertible. She didn't seem worried about making the rent....

TMJ said...

I hope MJ is well and wearing a 24/7 ECG monitor

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi TMJ,

He is. I checked in on him last evening and he's halter monitored and doing fine. I'm sure he'll post details soon. Nothing traumatic to report. Good humor as well.