2.04.2023

We had sunlight today! I was able to take the loaned Leica 35-70mm lens out for a walk. I'll say one thing right off the bat: It's sharp and contrasty! Part one. High ISO at home.

Here we are looking at a few high ISO samples from the combination of the Leica SL camera (type 601 from 2015) and the Leica Vario-Elmar 35-70mm f4.0 zoom lens from 1997.  Several of these (4?) were done using ISO 12,500. I'm happy with the way that camera handles high sensitivity settings. It's not a Panasonic S5 or a Sony A7S3 but it's not at all bad for a sensor from one or two generations back... 

First off, I'm always interested to see how the Leica SL handles low light and 
high ISO settings. This shot is the top of a large bookcase in my bedroom.
It was shot handheld at 1/250th of a second with an aperture of f5.6 which
required an ISO of 12,500. If you click on the image to see it across your
desktop computer screen you'll see "grain." But I am impressed
at the lack of chroma noise. A nice test. 

the same parameters here. But this was also converted to black and white 
in Lightroom. Again, grainy but to my mind quite usable...

Note the detail on the right hand side of the blue and white shower curtain.
It's got tons and tons of detail. And I love the contrast right out of the camera.

this is my most used appliance. I make toast with it every day before 
swim practice. There is noise in this image which was made at 12,500 ISO but
it's not intrusive and the contrast and color never really break down.
Toasting Trader Joe's Organic Super Bread and slathering it with 
peanut butter is a joy. Add apricot preserves for a touch of heaven. 

Leica SL + 35-70mm f4.0

And finally, a semi-abstract view of my new refrigerator.
Again, shot at 12,500 and gently processed in Lightroom.
I think the Leica lens is a very good adjunct to the 
performance of the Leica SL camera. 

WALKING PHOTOS COMING IN THE FOLLOWING POST.
COMING UP RIGHT NOW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised by how much I like the look of your camera's high ISO files. The toaster has discernible noise but it's still a beautiful shot. Well done.

R.A.