3.13.2023

I went downtown to photograph more stuff at SXSW yesterday but I ended up liking these clouds more....

 

One focused on infinity...

One focused on the edge of the building...

If you go out with the idea of shooting something very specific in mind you can sometimes limit yourself by constraining the intention of your outing too tightly. I went out looking for unusual people and scenes at SXSW (big music, film, tech conference. 10 days straight. right here in the middle of Austin) and the very last images of the day were a mile away and up in the air.

Yesterday's camera and lens of choice were the Panasonic S5 (original) and the Sigma 85mm art lens (DN DG). A very nice combination. 

Contrary to Saturday's mission all of the Sunday images were shot as Jpegs. I actually like the look better. 

I posted some questions for Mike over on theonlinephotographer blog site. The consensus is that I do not suffer from "low energy." But I really didn't get any of my pressing questions answered. Oh well. At least some of the readers seemed to really appreciate them.

Daylight savings time messed with my timing yesterday. Not much...but enough. 

Need a really, really great and cheap entry into the L system? The S5 is a wonderful and very capable camera. I recommend it highly. Sure, the new one focuses video faster. So what?


4 comments:

Mike Marcus said...

Kirk, I read most of your amazing series of 1247 questions(but I did not count them all) to MJ earlier today. As I recall, you sometimes consider ending your blogging life. After reading that list, I suggest that will not be possible until you provide your answers to all questions on that list.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Mike Marcus, I am but a humble neophyte looking to wise and sage old-timers like MJ to teach me the ways of "real" photography. If I were able to answer these things myself then I might start charging for access to what would be a vast and valuable store of knowledge. Or something like that... But, being a "low attention" (as opposed to low energy) writer I'll just hang out on the sidelines and learn from the pros.

Jon Maxim said...

Hah! Sure. Kirk the neophyte. (Sarcasm emoji added)

I read your answer to poor MJ too (actually I think Mike Marcus was wrong and seriously underestimated. I counted 1248 questions.) You have given MJ enough fodder to last him until at least the next millennium.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks. He seemed to need a nudge...