6.13.2023

I passed three lenses on to a friend this morning who will use them more than I will. I sold two Panasonic zoom lenses to another friend last week. Why?

 

To make room for a new toy.  Tool !!!  ( I really did mean "tool" - honest). As you probably know I have a thing for normal lenses. Meaning, of course, 50mm lenses. I've been doing my research and there are two 50mm lenses that are widely regarded as the two top lenses extant for sharpness and lack of issues or compromises. One is the $9,000+ Leica 50mm APO Summicron and the other one, pictured above, is the Voigtlander 50mm f2.0 APO-LANTHAR. Which is all of $999. I added $16 bucks to my ticket to get it here tomorrow. Brand new. In the box. From an official dealer. You know them --- they're big. But they aren't paying me to advertise for them...

I'll use this one on the SL2, the SLs and the Panasonics. It's supposed to be blistery sharp even wide open. Love the focal length. This is how you know you are truly addicted...you keep buying versions of the same focal length lens over and over again.

With this addition I will have assembled a nice little collection of M mount lenses which can be easily used on the SL cameras and will lie in wait should the day ever come when I convince myself to venture back into the hallowed camp of Leica M camera users. I guess I'm waiting for M10s to drop in price. Maybe I'm waiting in hopes that some rational person will pull me back from the edge. Or that I win the lottery and can afford a couple of those pretty M11s. Yeah. It could happen...

In other news I seem to have skated around the edge of retirement only to plunge back into the mix of corporate work. I completed an assignment here in the studio last week for Abbott US, the big medical products company, I have another assignment for them booked for tomorrow and on Thursday I'm scheduled to do five or six environmental portraits for a fun/nice/big public relations firm. Should go a long way toward cash flowing my Summer.

More on the horizon. But not too much. I'm getting too comfortable with my scheduling freedom to wish for a return to my old work schedule. 

And, yes, I did tell both of this week's clients that I could not start the projects until after swim practice. We're aiming for a very civilized 10:30 a.m. start on both days. After all these years I'm finding out that you basically just have to ask for what you want and usually it works out. 

Meteorology chat: So last week it was the northeastern states that got hammered by the nasty smoke from the wildfires. We've dodged the smoke but mother nature is gearing up to take a swing at us central Texans by both jacking up the temperatures and tossing in heavy doses of humidity. We're already under a "heat advisory" for today and it's only going to get worse going forward. Highs on Friday, and through the beginning of next week, will be 105°-106° without factoring in humidity, and if you add in the effects of the nearly liquid air we're going to experience "feels like" temperatures in the 114°-116° range. Nasty stuff, for sure! 

I'll be hitting the pool as early as possible each day and saving the afternoons for time in the air conditioned gym. Already drinking lots of water....

The weather is just a mess. But then again, this is Texas in the Summer. Hard pressed to sell Austin as a tourist destination right now --- when heat stroke is one of the major events on offer. 

Thank God for air conditioning. Hope the grid holds.... (sigh.).

17 comments:

James Weekes said...

Reid of Reid Reviews has an interesting observation in his review of the Ricoh GRIIIX. He said 5hat a lot of photographers have been waiting for a longer lens on the GR line. His theory is that everyone has a lens that lets them photograph at a distance that is comfortable for them. Some like a 28mm others a 35mm and on up to about 90mm. I think we all know what yours is.

Eric Rose said...

Should be an awesome lens. I was writing a post for a popular online photography site comparing the Leica 35mm Summicron, 35mm VC APO Lanthor and the TTArtisans 35mm offering. All of them were f2 offerings. I shot all the test images on film since the site is film centric.

At the end of the day there was VERY VERY little difference between all three lenses. All images where shot in a Leica M4 that had just been fully CLA'd. The only time I saw any marginal difference is with some glinting off a shiny high rise. A very Kirk type of shot ;). Test shots were done at f2,f8 and f16.

I took the TTArtisan lens to Mexico and shot it in all kinds of conditions and the images were stunning.

The only real difference between the lenses was build quality. If you are making your living shooting images in really REALLY harsh conditions go with the Leica lens. If you don't want to be worried about your lens getting lost, stolen or smashed buy the TTArtisans. In my humble opinion the VC lenses are THE best bang for the buck.

Eric

terence morrissey said...

I am also a fan of the 50mm focal length but started with a SLR and 50mm in 1974.

tnargs said...

In terms of “for sharpness and lack of issues or compromises”, the Sony 50/1.4GM is probably the best 50mm lens on the planet. But I can understand it being overlooked by someone with a bit of a Sony Blindspot. ;)

https://www.lenstip.com/645.11-Lens_review-Sony_FE_50_mm_f_1.4_GM_Summary.html

Cheers

Not THAT Ross Cameron said...

Bit off topic, but would solar panels be an option, paid for prior to retirement?
I appreciate that would likely mean forgoing the Leica 50mm for a little while longer, so this idea might be in the realm of crazy-talk.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Tnargs, Sadly that 50 won't fit on a good camera... (kidding, just kidding...)

Mike Marcus said...

Since "Not That..." opened the off-topic, the solar cells on our roof became operational late last November and up to today have pushed over $700/4.2 mwh of electricity into the grid and reduced over 3 tons of CO2 emissions. For context, that is like planting 50 trees or changing nearly 370,000 cell phones, the monitoring program states. Now back to the regularly scheduled photo comments. After my experiences with a Sony a7ii and a7Rii (both not that "good"), I find the vastly improved battery life, focus, and menu in my a7Riii makes it a "good camera"...for me...but not necessarily better than my G9.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Mike, You sold me. I'll get moving on solar panels. Thanks. But will not be moving to Sony any time soon....

I hope everyone knows I'm mostly joking these days about Sony stuff. The latest cameras are quite good. As are some of the lenses. I could do any part of my commercial work with them. No problem. Just not my favorite ergonomics.

But so much of that is subjective. Objectively they make great files.

JoeB said...

Solar panels, yes, that is a good start. Don't forget battery storage for the times the power goes out. Unless you buy a Ford EV pickup truck which can power your house for a day or two.
It's just money....

Mike Marcus said...

"Just not my favorite ergonomics." I agree. That is largely why I like the Pany G9 a lot, plus its smaller-sized, high-quality zooms. Good for you, Kirk, for getting on with your solar upgrade. Also, as you keep buying Leica gear, you keep making me think about adding a red dot to my life. It is just that I now have three (actually four) "good" cameras and I have a tough time convincing myself that, nearing 76, I need another much more expensive one added to the already crowded shelf.

Alex Carnes said...

I'm going to pull the trigger on the new Sigma 50/2 I think, for my Pannies. I've already got the Lumix 50/1.4 and 50/1.8, but needs must! 😂

Not THAT Ross Cameron said...

Thanks JoeB, forgot to mention the battery for when the grid goes down.
I’ve no idea how long such batteries could power studio lighting in case of a blackout ;~)
Can’t comment on Sony’s, always been a Nikon shooter, so I’ll keep my trap shut.
Love my CV 40/2 & 20/3.5 lenses, for portability and images. Enjoy the 50mm Kirk.

Anthony said...

I'm very much looking forward to hearing how you get on with the APO-Lanthar. It has been on my radar for a while now, and I'm a bit worried that GAS will overcome me.

About solar panels: I can't recommend them highly enough. The point others have made about batteries is exactly right. We got a good size pair of batteries with our installation last year, and they run the house overnight (including things like running the dishwasher).

Dan Boney said...

The Voigtlander lenses are truly the best bargain and most enjoyable option available these days - I have one of the new 27mm f2 for my Fuji X-E3 hopefully arriving tomorrow/Fri for some weekend fun…

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hood and filter arriving today.... fun.

jmarc schwartz said...

Bonjour Kirk,
John kasko sur YouTube est dithyrambique sur cet objectif.
C'est un très cool photographe, un peu comme toi.
Meilleure pensée.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

jmarc, Merci. C'est vrai.