7.20.2023

It's fun to meet up with people who read my blog. We both brought cameras. I had a wonderful afternoon coffee with Gordon Lewis.


I was determined to get out today and take some more photographs with the new camera. I know that sentence sounds like something you've probably read here a hundred times... "Kirk wants to try out his 'new' camera." I'm referring this time to the Fuji GFX50Sii. I've taken it out for a short spin before but this time I had the new 35-70mm zoom lens on it and I wanted to see how it would all work.

But, of course, it's not the lens I used to take the two portraits here....that would be too easy.

So, I headed downtown and snapped a bunch of familiar scenes. I usually don't carry my phone with me on walks but B. was driving back from San Antonio and I wanted to be available if she had any troubles on the highway. I checked the phone every once in a while and the last time I checked I had a text from a number I didn't recognize. 

Usually I trash texts from unknown numbers but the text was written with nuances of familiarity. I remembered that my friend and blog reader, Gordon Lewis was supposed to be in town this week so I queried back: "who?" Got an instant reply. Yep. It was Gordon. He wanted to know if I had time to meet up this afternoon. I'm nothing if not spontaneous, and Gordon is fun to hang out with, so of course I immediately accepted the offer.

I dropped by the house, changed lenses to the 50mm f3.5, hopped in the VSL staff car and headed over to meet Gordon at a restaurant where he was finishing up a lunch appointment. We both agreed that it was too hot to walk around and take photographs so we decided to find a nice, cool, coffee shop. 

After a moment of deliberation I decided to take us to my local coffee place; Trianon Coffee. It's at the end of my street. I spend a lot of time there. Mostly goofing off. 

When I have coffee with people who are smarter and more interesting than I am I try to remind myself to stop talking so much and listen better. Gordon has been a professional photographer and is now focused on being a professional writer. He knows stuff that I don't. 

We talked a little bit about cameras and photography. More about music and a good deal about life. I had to drop him off over at the University of Texas after coffee. He had another meeting. But he made two hours of conversation go by in a flash. I was a little sad when he got out of the car. Kind of like when you see a good movie and then it's over and you have to exit the theater into bright sunlight but you wish the movie had lasted just a little longer.

He took some photos of me. I hope I get to see them. If they make me look at least 10% better than I do in real life I'll be sure to post them here... with Gordon's permission. 


Gordon Lewis. At Trianon Coffee. Austin, Texas

Fujifilm GFX50Sii + 50mm f3.5

#funstufftodoinaustin

12 comments:

MikeR said...

Did you manage to avoid talking about street photography? I mean, well ....

JC said...

Nice portraits. Distinguished-looking guy.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

MikeR, we got into a heated discussion about street photography and.......no.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

JC, Thanks. I promised some portraits via the new camera. Gordon is a great subject.

Biro said...

Not only is it good to meet up with readers and people like Gordon, it’s great to live in a place the attracts a lot of interesting people.

Bob F. said...

It was a sad day when Gordon stopped blogging. What a wise and talented guy! It must have been wonderful talking with him.

jlsalvignol said...

Many thanks to Kirk for giving me the opportunity to say to Gordon:

* that there's a guy in France - me - who loved the finesse and intimacy of his blog and still misses it;
* that his book Street photography is irreplaceable.

Best regards

JLS

James Weekes said...

Two lovely portraits. More of these please

John Krumm said...

I have Gordon's print, precipitation, hanging on my bedroom wall. Looks great.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/10/gordon-lewis-precipitation-print-offer-three-days-only.html

Huw said...

Lovely to see these pictures, Kirk. Like John I also have a print of ‘precipitation’, and like Bob & JLS I miss his excellent blog. Good to see he’s doing well.
Huw

Robert Roaldi said...

Before the interweb, people had coffee and talked with others a lot.

Gordon Lewis said...

I am now back in my native land (Philadelphia), and though I don't miss the stupefying heat, I do miss Kirk's wit and excellent taste in coffee brewing establishments. It's exceeded only by his taste in cameras and lenses. I also left with photographic proof that he does smile from time to time, and with relative ease, I might add. Hell, I'd smile too if I was shooting with a Fuji 50sii.