11.06.2023

After a weekend of pulling out stacks of paper, moving filing cabinets, rolling up carpets and other prep work for house upgrades there was a lot of pent up desire to be outside with a fun camera.

 


I've been shooting in Jpeg+Raw lately with the M 240, mostly to give myself a choice, when I review files, between black and white and color. The image above looked much better to me in black and white while most of the files below seemed to depend on color to carry the day. 

The Leica M 240 and the 50mm Voigtlander lens seem to be a perfect match. When I use wider lenses on that body, especially the 28mm, you have to move your eye around the finder to really see the frame lines with any degree of accuracy. And that's presuming that the framelines are accurate in the first place. A big assumption given parallax and the changing magnification as the lens focuses toward the minimum focusing distance. The 35mm focal length is the last stop before the inconvenience of wider angle lenses seeps in. I was going to go through the process of finding just the right diopter attachment so I would not have to wear my glasses with the wider angle lenses but I've pretty much decided that in the same way the Q2 is a camera with a fixed 28mm lens and the Fuji X100V is a fixed 35mm lens, the M240 might most comfortably be considered a camera with a fixed 50mm lens. At least the way I use it.

At some point, if I ever warm up to using the 28mm on the rangefinder I'll hunt down a very nice 28mm bright line finder to put into the accessory shoe of the camera. Then I'll focus through the regular finder and then compose with the bright line accessory finder. But for now? I'll keep sticking the 28mm on the front of the SL2 and be happy with it. Or, alternately, I'll stop worrying about where the edges of the frame lines are in the M 240 finder and just merrily shoot without making a big deal out of it. It's not like I'm using this particular lens and camera combination for client work, after all.


I could lie and chalk up the performance here to the fantastic dynamic range of a decade old sensor or I could be honest and admit that I started with a dark file, used an A.I. filter to accentuate the color and contrast of the sky, then made another layer in Lightroom and used the brush tool to select the area under the eaves and on the wall adjacent to the eaves and in shadow. Once selected I color corrected the underlying area (it was too blue), warmed up the white on the sign with the hand, and opened up the exposure on the underlying area as well. I finished it off by adding some clarity slider to the selection but not to the global frame since I wanted the sky to go out of focus. Lightroom makes area by area corrections much easier to do now and I rarely have to go into PhotoShop to get what I want.

Why am I happy with the frame above? Well, I screwed up the exposure by one stop. I forgot about the 1/4000th of a second limit and, using ISO 500 and f4.0, I overexposed and subsequently got into an argument with my camera. But I was able to pull back the details in the file by reducing the exposure in post. I'd read that the sensor in this camera and earlier M digital cameras had limited dynamic range but I think this is a repudiation of some of that reporting. Sure, if you are off by two stops I'm betting your file is screwed but one half or even one stop? Worth a try every time. Or....you could just take the time to get the exposure correct. (Red-faced with shame....). 

the City of Austin likes murals. They'll commission people to paint them on just about anything. 

Above and below= Two versions of the same frame. Color and "Monochrome" AKA: black and white. 
I went back and forth but after looking at them for a while I decided that I like the black and white version better. Not sure why. Retro charm?


Great idea but I'm pretty sure Willie doesn't want the job and wouldn't like the salary....


On this image and several below I used the Lightroom feature: Lens Blur to selectively blur the background. You'll note that because it analyzes the original frame to determine it's "depth" via a 3D mapping routine the focus falls off in a natural progression the further it "extends" away from the main subject. You can control the amount and intensity of the fall off as well as modifying the range of the effect. I absolutely love it and will probably never have to buy a fast lens ever again (kidding? maybe). 
A bit overdone in these examples but easier to see that way....



Nothing beats an A to B comparison, right?
Top one is with the Lens Blur filter using default settings. 
The bottom image is unfiltered. As it appears right out of camera. 
Not a huge difference but enough. 

One click. that's it. No time having to select the subject, etc. 
This is either machine learning or artificial intelligence but whichever it is
I like it.











I used a "dramatic sky" filter from the LRC presets and toned it down by 50%. 


Is any day really complete without a dose of Mannequin? Especially a mannequin with what appears to be a pyramid in the background. 


Do you like to post comments? Do you like to read comments appended to daily posts? Our default here is to allow automatic posting of comments right after publication of each post. The ability to post a comment without undue moderation is enabled for two days. Older comments have to be moderated so we don't get spammed to death with ads for ED supplements, Bitcoin offers, and miracle offers of discount Russian brides. If something offensive gets posted it usually gets squashed and vacated within hours. We (royal "we") check the blog throughout the day to give you the absolute freshest comments for your reading enjoyment. If you currently have a blog and would like to be quicker on the draw with comments you can take my workshop. It's almost free. 

3 comments:

Biro said...

Kirk, you mention the Voigtlander 50mm on the Leica 240. Well, after months of resisting, I have begun dabbling in the APO Lanthar primes that you have been writing about.

I picked up a 35mm for my Nikon Zf and the 50mm won't be far behind -- maybe a month or two. The 35 is superb. The fact that it is chipped makes manual focus a lot easier for me these days, although I grew up with manual focus in the bad, old film days. And the Voigtlanders look great on a retro body like the Zf.

Enjoy your adventure with the 240. While I enjoy rangefinder-style cameras, the digital Ms remain just a bit dear -- especially since there are still too many other cameras and lenses that I want to try. I'll have to make do with the Q2, CL and original film M4 in the Leica department.

Eric Rose said...

You see that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Each to their own. I personally, and this is coming from a B&W guy, like the colour pizza sign better than the B&W one. Since no fuzzy warm feelings of yesteryear are deluding me my choice is the pure and therefore correct one. Just joking. But I do prefer the colour one.

I agree one must always have a mannequin experience on each outing. Our Calgary mannequins are running away to warmer climates like our street hookers. Therefore well presented mannequins are hard to find. The ones left are covered in multiple layers of down coats. Like the remaining street hookers.

To bad you have ditched Instagram since I posted some nice snowy scenes from around Banff you might like.

As far as using the 28mm on an M I just stick what I want to be the main focal point where I want it and shoot. Crop later. Yes I'm a heretic and proud of it.

Eric

Eric W said...

Great series. I enjoy the editing comments, I use dxo now but it does not matter. A photo is really the starting point of your canvas, and the published photo the art. I like to understand the artistic process of others, and it is fun to know others still enjoy making art with tools available. Too many think it is shoot and done as Google/Apple AI cleans everything up.