3.22.2024

It's that time in the replacement cycle when we look at our current laptop computers with open distain.

Ben with his first Apple Computer. 
Not nearly as fast as his new one. 

I have nothing but praise for the Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch laptop computer I bought back in 2018. It's been in about 25 different airports, spent many days in various cars and trucks, been hauled around to a couple hundred photo assignments and has never so much as shown me a "twirling beachball." Zero downtime.  But 2018 to 2024 is a long, long time in computer world. 

My kid recently replaced his even earlier MacBook Pro with one of the current 14 inch MacBook Pro machines with an M3 processor, 16 GB of Ram and a 2 Terabyte SSD. We talked about the performance differences and he was a bit more animated than he usually is. And he is a paragon of calm. An opposite personality from his father... In a word, he said the speed increases all over the new system are life changing. And he rarely traffics in hyperbole.

That planted the thought in my mind. And it was fertilized a few days later when one of my nice clients got in touch to talk logistics for an upcoming multi-day event project. Would I be able to sit down late in the evening, after the social function at the conference and edit, post process and delivery maybe 100 files for the staging company to use at the show open the next morning? This is something that comes up on a lot of shows and something I've done a lot of in the past. In fact, I bought the current laptop to do fast turn images during a conference for several WP Engine showcases. Shoot and turn. On those projects I'd photograph each speaker on the stage, head out to the press room half way through their individual presentation and have fresh images of the presentation to the AV team before the speaker wrapped. Tight deadlines indeed. 

I thought back and remembered every bottleneck and slowdown in the process from each earlier show. From the slow, USB-2 ingestion of large camera files to the slow export of hundreds of files on the back end. I also reminded myself that the battery in the older machine is also starting to show its age. As is the screen and the keyboard.

I checked the pertinent reviews and one source indicated that my older i5 Intel processor in the 2018 laptop runs my favorite photo applications about 15X slower than a new M3 processor machine. Not 15% but 15X. They had me at Space Gray

My biggest  project of the quarter is just a bit less than a month away which should give me ample time to get used to the new machine and to test it out with my various favorite Adobe software apps. The machine will see most of its use alternating between simple tasks at the dining room table (paying bills, reading the news, watching interviews on YouTube) and fast turn photo editing and file delivery logistics in Hotel ballrooms hither and yon. With a few instances of tethering on slow moving advertising shoots.

I know a fair number of you would rather cobble your own machines together from scratch in your workshops but maybe that's not such a good idea for a portable computer. Also, I couldn't find any Windows laptops with M3 processors in them. I'm sure the Windows world will catch up in a couple of years. Maybe even quicker. But most of the charm of staying in your lane, OS-wise, is the profound lack of learning curve. And I'm all about taking advantage of that. 

I ordered the machine from one of my photo retailers. They had a better price than I would have gotten ordering direct from Apple. And they've always done a great job with delivering exactly what I've ordered. 

I can't wait to get the new laptop. My fear is that it will be so much faster than my iMac Pro that I'll get sucked into ordering a replacement for that machine as well. 

Sadly, JC, that Rolls Royce might have to wait for next quarter. 

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking about updating my old/slow computer. But then I realize the slow part is not the computer...

DavidB

JC said...

If you hadn't made the mistake of ordering a new machine without consulting your consultants (us) I would have suggested that you at least take a peek at the new M3 MacBook Air, which is lighter than a Pro but almost duplicates the Pro's functionality. And since you apparently intend to move around with it quite a bit, the light weight might be a feature. Apple says 13x the speed of the last Intel machine, 15 inch screen on the larger size, decent specs, and cheaper than the Pro. Ports a question mark.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/03/review-apples-efficient-m3-macbook-airs-are-just-about-as-good-as-laptops-get/

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

JC, what makes you think I didn't research intensively before buying? Not to the level of MJ but not cursory either.

adam said...

a friend of mine who edits ads is often editing on laptop at the shoot as it's done then grading at a facility the next morning

Hugh said...

Lightroom on an iPad is a really nice way to edit now.

Dick Barbour said...

I'm sure you're going to love the new machine. Life-changing, maybe or not, but I'm really enjoying my new HP desktop PC (not being a MAC or laptop person). It's got the 13th gen(!) Intel i7 CPU with 16 threads, 32GB of RAM, but "only" a 1 TB SSD. It replaces my old version which was also about 6 years old, and really makes a difference with all the latest Photoshop and other apps' processing demands.
What's interesting is that I appreciate the newest computer tech, but am a stick-in-the-mud when it comes to cameras. I'm still using the (also 6-year-old) Lumix G9. For my needs, anyway, it's the perfect camera. I tried the new G9II, but returned it; not worth the steep upgrade price for me.
Dick

JereK said...

I am currently usin a Macbook Pro 14" with the M2 Pro and just adore it for photo editing. I am sure you will get a lot of years from the next machine as well. Been using it at home with the thunderbolt cable to the home screen/peripherals and dont really feel the need for a proper big computer anymore.

Roland Tanglao said...

Windows has lost the speed and battery "war" for now compared to Macs because for some reason Intel and Qualcomm have lost the plot :-). Windows could and should and will probably catch up in terms of speed and battery life but does it really matter in 2024? Use whatever you like that runs the software you like :-) which in your case is Macs. I use Mac, Windows and Ubuntu Linux laptops daily for work and all 3 laptops are fine. Apparently Windows is still better for games but I'm not a gamer :-) and Adobe's stuff and other photo and video editing software doesn't run on Linux so for photographers and video makers it's Windows or macOS. If I had unlimited funds I'd get a MBP M3 with the most RAM and SSD and a Framework Linux laptop but I'm am a silly person who loves and works with computers for 30 years! Cheers! ....Roland
p.s. oh jeez i realize i left another u b u comment therefore this will be my last comment on this subject. Back to lurking and loving the text and photos :-)
p.p.s. macOS is having a few issues with multiple displays and Thunderbird docks at the moment but I gather this isn't an issue with you. http://rolandtanglao.com/2024/03/22/p1-usb-spellcraft-not-working-using-old-anker-usb3-hub/

JC said...

Kirk, I wasn't suggesting that you didn't do your research; but the new Mac Air has only been out for a few days and would have been easy to miss. I didn't know about it until a couple of days ago, and I've been kind of poking around for a new machine myself, but something lighter than my current Mac Pro. I was surprised by the new Air's specs, though it also has some shortcomings.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hey JC, the new MacBook Air is absolutely great. It was a neck and neck thing for me but the prices were so close that I tipped into the Pro for small but fun improvements. Such as a built in SD card reader. And a few performance tweaks. The weight is immaterial to me as the new machine is actually lighter than the 13 incher from 2018...

Funny, I had dinner last night with an Apple manager who queried me on the same choices you did.

Craig Yuill said...

My family has been using a mid-2014 MacBook Pro for about 9 years, and have been a (mostly) Mac family since 2006. Realistically, I should upgrade to a newer MacBook Air or Pro. But the MacBook Pro still works fine. And I have been unhappy with the way that Apple has broken software that cannot be upgraded (making it impossible to go back to old projects for that software), and artificially makes computers obsolete after five to seven years, thanks to aggressively pushing a new version of macOS each year. Say what you want about it, Windows 11 will run on computers older than what Apple supports. More importantly, it will run older (still useful) Windows programs on it, allowing one to go back and edit older projects.

I use Windows 10 and 11 computers for work. My family was gifted a recent Windows 11 laptop with decent specs, at the same price as the cheapest MacBook Air. There are things about the computer and Windows 11 that I don’t like. But Adobe Lightroom Classic and Photoshop (and Topaz Labs Photo AI) work pretty much the same way on the Windows 11 laptop as they do on a Mac. And produce the same output. The same is true of Microsoft 365/Office software. I would seriously consider making a complete switch to Windows 11 if I can find video editing software that works as well as Final Cut Pro.

I don’t want to hate Macs. I generally prefer using them to Windows computers. I just dislike the obsessive practice of ramming new, new, new down customers throats - and showing a lack of appreciation for users’ needs for running older software from time to time.

Good luck with choosing a new MacBook. Make sure it has at least 16 GB of RAM, and at least 512 GB of SSD storage. Even better, 32 GB RAM and 1 TB storage.

Eric Rose said...

The three things you never bring up in polite company; religion politics and Mac vs PC.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Eric, I'll keep this in mind in case my blog every attracts polite company...

Craig, I'm thinking a seven plus year replacement cycle for a business isn't that bad.

B. and I have been using Apple computers in our businesses since 1985. There were a few years somewhere before 2002 when I had some doubts but it's been smooth sailing for the last couple of decades. I like to think that when we buy a phone, a watch or a laptop we're at least boosting the stock...

I know many don't care about design, looks, style, etc. but I have to look at my computer almost everyday so it's important to me. The Apple product designs are just so, so, so much nicer.

eric erickson said...

KT, for what it is worth I replaced my mac air last year with a spiffy new Mac book Pro with crazy speed. My I mac seemed ok at the time, until I got the Macbook Pro and guess what I felt a need to replace the I mac too.So last year was a big year for computers. I love Apple and live in a Apple eco-system so never thought about switching to another brand. Just be careful when you get your new Mac book you will find the old I mac just can't keep up and do what I did.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Eric, sounds great! I'm ready for it.

Craig Yuill said...

Kirk, Apple does indeed make very stylish machines that have a very smooth user interface. But Windows computer manufacturers and Microsoft have upped their style and UI game somewhat. These aren’t like Windows 3.1 machines from over thirty years ago.

I look forward to reading about your new laptop. You might convince me to stay in the Apple ecosystem.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Craig, I'll take my best shot at making an honest review.

Hugh said...

“At least 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage” sounds impressive says he from his 3 year old Dell XPS 15 with 64GB of RAM and 6TB of internal SSD storage. It’s pretty too…

I do like my iPad mini though.

;)

Matt Shaw said...

FWIW, I replaced my creaking intel MacBook Air with the new M3 yesterday; quite a transformation. However, it has an awkward Sandisk SD card reader stuck in the side at the moment to import some files. This I know will annoy me over time. I agree: don't underestimate the utility the SD card slot!

Unknown said...

I updated my MBP 13 i7 three years ago to a MBP 14 M1/16/2TB. WOW! It was worlds faster than my MacPro 6-core with twice the ram and SSD space! It's been through many airports during my travels and the speed gains allowed me to enjoy evenings and get to sleep earlier than ever!

And for video? Night vs. day speed difference--no comparison!

So a year ago, I pulled the lever and updated the MacPro to a Mac Studio... use a few weeks before the M2. What a speed deamon that is compared to the MacPro!

Yes, there's an "upgrade" tax to brining it all forward but in spite of it all, it's such a massive improvement in speed and capability that it may be waiting for you rather than the other way around.

Go for it and enjoy the rush!

christer3805 said...

I just got my 16 inch M3 Powerbook in the basic version today, an upgrade from the 2021 version with an M1 Pro. The most significant improvement, and that was a surprise to me, was the fantastic screen rendering of Sony 60+ MP RAW files. I'm not only talking speed, but more importantly image quality.