3.23.2024

One of my favorite short poems by Shel Silverstein. Seems like a moment for it.

 


My God, people love to complain. I'm beginning to feel that some would complain about free money. Or the Fountain of Youth (not cool enough, wish it were carbonated....). I guess it's a function of wishing everything in one's life was perfectly created with them and only them in mind. Not wanting to learn anything new. Resistant to change. A perennial victim. 

When I came across this poem again it made me smile and then made me laugh. There is a limit to how much complaining we're willing to listen to. Especially from those who are most privileged...

I remember in years past when someone in the family complained too long we'd all look at each other and someone would say, "I finally had to close the lid." 

Always trying to find the fun side to things. 

There are exceptions where complaining might (might) be called for. Mostly around things you have no control over, at all. Like the weather. A meteor hitting your house. Volcanic eruptions. Maybe extra long flight delays. 

A camera button in a place that you don't like? On a camera you'll likely never buy? Some poor choices you've made that came back to bite you on the butt? Not bloody likely. 


12 comments:

Andy said...

Some one rattled your cage?

I never cease to be amazed at the small mindedness of people as they whinge and whine their way through life. Button in the wrong place? Don’t buy it, something bugging you that you cant control? Suck it up Buttercup.

None of this is aimed at you Kirk, its the world of internet cry babies that bug me
Andy

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Andy, no one really rattled my cage, rather it was like Chinese water drop torture. Week after week of "woe is me." Everyone has a tipping point. Or should.

Eric Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Biro said...

Kirk, if you’re referring to what I think you are, I have come to the same conclusion. Some people will never realize they are the source of almost all of their own problems - and seem unable to learn from experience. If you’re referring to something else, fine. But my statement stands in general.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Oh Biro, I think you nailed it. Society offers few protections from bad decisions...

Roland Tanglao said...

I'm a veteran support engineer :-) I've supported Drupal, Mozilla Firefox, Matrix chat software at element.io and Mozilla Thunderbird since 2004 (and before that worked supporting software for Nortel's phone switches). I therefore have many stories about complaining and ranting :-) LOL. There is a way to ask for help that is respectful to all and there is a similar way to complain! It involves recognizing that you don't know everything, having humility, using civil language and acknowledging your status, wealth and position in the world (if you can complain about digital cameras and software and not worry about food, water, shelter and war then your position is privileged).

p.s. computers are silly and fun and essential. people are however much more amazing than computers. And so too are photos! take more photos if you want :-) be happy :-) !

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Roland. Your perspective is always very welcome.

Gary said...

Traveling in Mexico, where sidewalks are often rough and rebar occasionally sticks up through the "pavement," made me think that Americans are too whiney. Watch where you're going! OTOH, people with even minor walking disabilities would have trouble traversing those sidewalks. No answers here, except that you accept those conditions and find workarounds.

Robert Roaldi said...

Remember Doug and Wendy Whiner on SNL?

Olivier said...

I also complain about the complainers ;)

Anonymous said...

I like what may be the shorest poem in the English language.

FLEAS

Adam had'm.

Kodachromeguy said...

Don't forget the favorite phrase of the small-minded fraudtographer set: "It's a deal killer." OK, so don't buy it and spend the next 15 minutes on your uTube video expounding on that terrible technical failing.