3.04.2024

The Quiet Before the Storm. Or, how SXSW impacts Austin.

this is Sixth St. today. On March 4th. 
On March 8th the same street will be closed off
and filled from side to side with tens of thousands of
music fans, movie fans, performers and more. 
Should be fun.

 I'm pretty sure that a lot of cities, big and small, all around the USA would love to have a couple hundred thousand spend-happy tourists flock into their cities for an eight day, hotel filling, bar busting, tax receipt engorging convention of tech forward young adults who also love the latest technologies, movies and music. Well, I hate to disappoint many other city councils and chambers of commerce but.... I think Austin has a lock on SXSW for the near future. See their website for a taste of the eight days between the 8th of March and the 16th. https://www.sxsw.com/

I look at the festival from a photographer's point of view. The image above is Sixth St., smack in the middle of our downtown. By the end of the week it will be festooned with multiple live music stages, each complete with a state of the art video crew filming the performances with multiple 8K cameras and streaming them....somewhere. The entire street, from the main highway to Congress Ave. will be closed off to vehicle traffic and filled with wannabe musicians, super fans, gawkers and vendors (some legal and some...impromtu). It will be loud, messy and filled with energy. People go there to be seen. To share their music. To hawk their CDs. To pitch their movies. And the some of us go there to document the event. It's a magnet for cameras and their photographers. 

Most of the serious action takes place inside the Austin Convention Center. Pay $1,920 for a wrist band and you can get in to just about any and all seminars, performances, showcases, tapings or other sponsored events. 

I spent one year at SXSW inside the "velvet rope" photographing famous bands on stages in the convention center during their performances, for Sony Music. I spent one year at a corporate sideshow photographing speakers over at a venue on Rainey Street (just across from the Convention Center) and watching the wristband elite drop by to eat up all of the catering and lay waste to the open bar. All on my client's dime. Over the years I've seen the event from every angle. I was at the event there for the rollout of the world famous "Cronut." In fact, I was the official photographer for that late night event, working for the P.R. firm out of NYC. Documenting 400+ people who waited till midnight to get a free donut/croissant combination that was shaped like a small drinking glass and filled with milk. Sorry, no seconds!

I've largely given up hitting the official venues and aim instead, as a photographer, for Sixth St. and all the surrounding areas because nearly every bar, restaurant, coffee shop and alternate space is rented out to corporations that want to introduce their latest and greatest stuff. Let's not forget that SXSW is where Twitter got its first traction --- along with a lot of other start-ups. The swag can be overwhelming.

The number of people out in the streets during all hours of the day and night is amazing. Most are young and excited to be in, what is for two weeks, the center of their universe. This is where bands get discovered. Some get contracts. The film festival rivals Sundance for cinematic interest. And the participants come from, literally, all over the world. Each hoping to land funding for their big break through.

My plan this year is to head down for as many days and evenings as I can (after swim practice, of course.). I'll take two cameras. Both will be black Leica M240s. One will sport a 50mm lens and the other will sport a 90mm or 75mm lens. With those particular cameras I doubt I even need to weigh myself down with extra batteries. With just these two cameras and a small bag I can travel light and nimble. 

The priority is to work the crowds and photograph the endless parade of people; most of whom are looking to become somehow famous. Dressed and made up to attract maximum eyeballs. A wonderful opportunity for photographers to practice their favorite street shooting craft. I'm sure my friend Andy will be there and I might even coax my friend Paul to give architectural photography a little rest and troop down for a day. 

I learned a long time ago that parking downtown is next to impossible. If you do find parking in one of the many private garages you'll end up paying mercenary rates to the owners. One year in the recent past a day's worth of parking was averaging over $80. 

If you try taking an Uber you'll likely get into a traffic jam that'll take forever that's not going to make anyone happy. My ploy is to take public transportation. Austin has the worst. But there is a bus that goes from maybe a half mile from my house all the way into the belly of the beast. It's the #30 bus. It costs $1.25 each way. I think I can swing that. The ride takes about 30 minutes and drops me off in front of the W Hotel. It's a five minute walk to Sixth St. Easy enough to catch it back home as well. Look at me breaking the American and Texas traditions of each person traveling separately to events in their own private car and demanding endless close-in parking....

I've always had a blast photographing during the weeks of SXSW. The crowds are mostly younger. 20s, 30s and a shrinking number of 40 year olds. Maybe some leftover 50+ hippies as well. Usually so much good energy. 

The only glitch in my scheduling this year is that the show will exactly correspond with our new living room floor renovation. Exactly the same two weeks. I'll have to be extra nice to B so she can take the lion's share of supervision duties. Now gearing up for this Friday and the official start of the insanity. If you're in Austin you owe it to yourself to check out the turbo-charged street scene. It's a fun photographic project.  You get to participate as much as you want. Bring your own violin or harmonica as well and get discovered....

reports to follow.

15 comments:

Mike Marcus said...

Along the same line, in the fall Albuquerque has its 9-day long annual Balloon Fiesta, with an official count of 968,516 guests in 2023. It also claims to be the world's most photographed event. (I have likely too many balloon photos, including one that had a not an initially planned landing in front of our house. But, as it is said, what goes up has to come down ... somewhere.) In the spring, Albuquerque annually hosts the Gathering of Nations, the Largest Powwow in North America that bring together over 560 Indigenous tribes from the United States and 200+ from Canada plus others from south of the boarder. That is 3,000 participants and 100,000 visitors each year, plus reaching 4.2 million through the live webcast, as I just learned from a web search. I think from Albuquerque's view, Austin can keep SXSW.

JC said...

I've been to the Sturgis Motorcycle rally twice. It's pretty big -- allegedly attracting 505,000 people in 2022, according to Wiki, but I'm not sure I believe that. (I went in the 80s.) I don't know how you could get that many people into Sturgis, which has a population of 7,000 people. Famous for its call, "Show your tits!" (Some do, some don't. I personally am a little shy.) It is a photography paradise.

atmtx said...

Yup, I'm planning to be there.

Gary said...

Have fun. Different world, no? Let us know if you score any licensing deals. Kirk Tuck, Youth Photographer.

Robert Roaldi said...

Do any F1 fans complain about the noise from SXSW? (just having a little fun)

Anonymous said...

Which is more crazy. This crowd or the F1 racing folks?

Which gives you more photo opportunities on the street?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

F1 crowd is mostly nouveau riche poseurs with bad habits (smoking, excessive drinking) who talk too loud and pretend to be experts about cars and racing to anyone who will listen. Like soccer hooligans but about car racing. At first it was thought that there would be a big social whirl in downtown with F1 but as the years have gone by it's been revealed that there are very few high rollers visiting downtown for the F1 event and nearly all of the visitors spend the bulk of their time at the track some 15 miles away. These are basically people you'd never invite into your house or join at a restaurant for a meal. I have never seen so many Members Only windbreakers and gold chains in one place in my life. F1 should be banned from cities and held only out in a desert location where they won't bother anyone.

SXSW is mostly middle class kids who want to enjoy life, music, art, film and technology. A much more diverse and interesting crowd. They are mostly excited to be in our city, excited to learn new stuff and for the most part very well behaved. They actually spend money in the downtown area. A night and day difference from the jaded attendees at the loud car races. And far, far fewer cigarette smokers by percentage. I'd gladly take 10 SXSW attendees in trade for one obnoxious F1 attendee.

F1 gives us a little glimpse of what cities like Paris and Rome have to deal with all the time. The bad tourists. Sobering to be sure.

To answer Robert's question: the SXSW people are far more visually interesting and there are far, far more photo opportunities.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

I would expect SXSW will be big this year (when isn’t it). I have heard radio ads for SXSW here in Seattle.

Our biggest recent even with the MLB All Star game last year. Other wise we are happy with SEAFAIR and the multiple other festivals that happen through the summer. All of which are good for photographers, if the crowds will let you move around.

I think we are happy Austin has SXSW.

PaulB

Anonymous said...

https://apple.news/AfQBLt5JiTvqkxzJvEcqI9w

Anonymous said...

The Rolling Stone article about F1 in Las Vegas explains it all. F1 sucks.

adam said...

we have a balloon fiesta, only 3-4 days, fun normally, the scientologists come to set up a booth, they had this 14 year old girl handing out flyers one year, I told her about the woman I met who spent $140k on courses and she said "oh", they didn't come for about 4 years after that, then showed up with massage tables, they do "touch assists" apparently, whatever they are, lots of other promo's, I got a sample of whipped cream one year, served up with "join in the squirty fun with anchor squirty cream", delivered in the most tired unenthusiastic way possible, I felt sorry for her, I got a samyang 75mm, tried it out today, fun, very sharp, got some nice detailed pics of people sat on a bus, I'll need to use it a bit more to figure out it's quirks, I'm not very methodical about these things

Eric Rose said...

Next year I'm planning on being in Austin for SXSW.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Cool. You'll love it.

Livino said...

Kirk, I'm actually here in Austin for SXSW and on a bit of an unofficial mission to spot you walking around the city. I mentioned that to a few coworkers and the joke now is whether I've spotted the celebrity photographer yet - somebody checked your website and saw Renee Zellweger in your portfolio apparently. This is my third time visiting Austin but 1st time at SXSW. The event itself is a bit overwhelming but still lots of fun. Anyway, I do hope to bump into you! If nothing else, it'll make great office folklore.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Livino. I was downtown at midday. The event is just barely getting warmed up. Probably be down again on Tuesday and the Friday and Saturday of next week. Next Thursday and Friday are probably the days that Sixth St. will be packed for scheduled and impromptu concerts.

I had no idea that I was so famous. Now charging $100 for people to have coffee with me. Oh, who am I kidding? If you are nice I'll even buy you coffee...

Get in touch if you have time to meet up some time in the next week. Remember that I swim until 9:30 a.m. so, has to be after that...