1.21.2019

Fujifilm 14mm f2.8 Lens? Yes, I think I'll keep it. Images in the gallery all shot with the 14mm and an XT3 camera in Jpeg mode.

A mural at one of the downtown Austin Google Buildings.
Yes, we have two or three other Google buildings sprinkled around town...

Here's a short and sweet review of the 14mm f2.8 Fuji lens for the X series cameras. It's sharp over most of the frame at f2.8. It's sharp every where by f4.0 and it's very, very sharp all across the frame at f5.6. I know the camera automatically corrects for vignetting but I don't see any artifacts in the corners due to correction so I'm super happy about that. The lens is deceptively small and light, focuses very quickly (at least in the good light I was given today) and is extremely sharp.

I'd asked a Fuji expert about which lens to buy given that I don't use wide angles nearly as much as various normal and telephoto lenses. I was deliberating between the Fuji 14mm and the 10-24mm. His advice for me was to go with the 14mm for its better "ultimate optical performance." His idea was that the 10-24mm isn't quite as good optically but is a better compromise for people who spend more time mining the wider end of the visual scale. I think he got his advice for me just right. This is a focal length I like to have in the bag for those times while on annual report projects when an art director turns to me after we've done a bushel of wonderful environmental portraits to ask, 'can you get some wide shots that show off: the whole factory, the exterior of the building, the length of the production line, the (cramped) labs and ..... can you make our facility look ...bigger? '

This is the lens that's in the rarely disturbed corner of the bag which bursts into stardom when you just can't back up any further with your next widest lens. The 10-24mm is wonderfully flexible when it comes to dishing out different angles of view but I'm a slow learner; not disposed to keeping good track of wide frames and it's more effective for me to learn the ins and out of one angle of view than to stand around and try to decide just how wide I should go. Give me one focal length and you've taken the guess work out of the equation...


I tried this one in black and white to eliminate potential color contamination of my
evaluation process. I used a yellow filter in Lightroom's B&W conversion. 

See. I'm hopeless most of the time with ultra wide lenses. All the buildings fall over...




Yes. It's true. I tried the Eterna profile on a still photo. I hope Fuji doesn't demand 
that I return the cameras citing misuse of their products.... I'd do the same with any other brand lens. 






So, my impression of the 14mm lens from Fuji is favorable. I'm glad I didn't go the cheap route and get a 7Artisans, or Rokinon 12mm but I could have bought a lot of coffee with the difference in price between those lenses and the Fuji... I guess that's the constant trade off. But I did see a sign the other day that said, "The sting of low quality lingers long after the memory of the money saved...." 

On another note: Still shopping for new cars. The Suburu Forester is still near the top of the list but now I'm also considering the 2019 Honda CRV, the Toyota Highlander and the Mercedes AMG GT C Coupe; it's a bit peppier.  The Mercedes seems like a good candidate for quickly getting on and off freeways plagued with short entry/exit ramps....haven't compared prices yet but they can be too expensive. Right? The only mark against the Mercedes is the lack of trunk space....

6 comments:

Kristian Wannebo said...

Kirk,
Apologies for commenting in the wrong place, I just want to say how much I enjoy "1.21.2019
Comments? It's Ray for the win....":

You seem more inspired than usual in choosing photos for us to enjoy!
( I'm forgetting my morning coffee.)
So many of your subjects being totally unaware of themselves, rare among grown-ups.
Quite a few with humour in them, rare in photography.
And some really good , ;-) , landscapes.
( Even with my thermos mug the coffee got cold.)
Thanks!
(for "1.21.2019
Comments? It's Ray for the win....")

Fred said...

It looks like a nice lens. The interior shots are very nice. I also like the stair shot.
If David Douglas Duncan could have a Mercedes Gullwing there is no reason why you couldn't have the AMG coupe. You would have to stick rolls of background material out the side window which could hinder you on those entry/exit ramp escapades. I keep thinking about a small unassuming van that I could do a little traveling in.

Anonymous said...

I would also check out the Bugatti Chiron (https://www.bugatti.com/chiron/), which we had an opportunity to view at the dealership on Saturday. Absolutely beautiful (thankfully a beautiful and tasteful dark blue version). With 1,500hp, you should easily navigate the highway on/off ramps. The two engines take up the entire rear of the car, so I'd suggest one of those utility trailers (or horse trailers, being Texas) for the gear. It does only get 10mpg, but what can one expect these days for $2,999,995?

Rick

Larry Watson said...

Kirk, consider getting the turbo version of the Forrester for more pep. My last two cars have been turbos. Currently I have a 2005 Subaru Forrester XT (Turbo). It's great and runs like new. I've been told thru the years to always let the engine idle for a few seconds before turning it off. This helps the turbo cool down and prevents premature failure of the turbo. I've never had any problems with my two turbos. I found the standard engine for the Forrester lacked in pep and the turbo version made a big difference. My turbo version has the leather seats and x-large sunroof as well.

pixtorial said...

Kirk, we have a 2016 Subaru Forester and love it. It has been on multiple adventures across the Eastern US, with my Wife and two kids, and is a reliable, comfortable small SUV. It also possesses one of the most capable AWD systems on the market. Only downsides? It is still a small SUV, gets so-so gas mileage, and is not the fastest car on the road by a mile.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I am hoping to see one photo from each of Kirk's 25 photo categories and what his top three would be.
David