1.21.2019

What we're testing now at the VSL high technology laboratory....

Shark-a-Dillo?

No. We're not doing genetic engineering or attempting to cross breed Texas armadillos with aquatic predators. That wouldn't make a lot of sense....

But I am diving into some deep lens tests to see what lenses work best (for me) on the Fuji cameras. The Fuji 14mm f2.8 lens arrived on Friday but the weekend was too tightly scheduled to allow for any sort of test walk or ecstatic interaction with test charts, or newspaper want ads tacked to the wall. 

As an aside, it used to be a habit amongst professional photographers, when confronted with a new and unknown lens, to tack up the printed "want ads" from the local paper; preferably a double-truck, and photograph the newspaper spread in order to evaluate the performance of the lens from corner to corner. The benefit of printed want ads being the small but consistent type all over the page. A really good lens would also resolve the texture of the paper. The best lenses, the ones used by sharpness freaks, were purported to resolve the molecular structure of the paper and ink.... but that's a digression from the aside...  While shooting newspaper is obviously a test it's one that doesn't take into considerations lenses optimized for parameters other than flat field rendering (sorry Leica, you allowed for field curvature and are now damned by the slow but vociferous...), and doesn't take into consideration lenses designed for different optimum focusing distances, it is, however, a decent quick test to show whether a lens is misaligned, has obvious faults or is a Nikon 43-86mm zoom lens (perhaps the worst lens ever marketed by Nikon...). 

So, as Gannett (large, traditional newspaper chain) gets sold off to a hedge fund and most local newspapers move their "want ads" to their websites, what are photographers going to use as test charts when evaluating their lenses? I suspect that they usual reviewer suspects will continue to photograph whatever cat is handy and pontificate from there......

At VSL we'll continue to use our laser etched beryllium test targets (both curved and flat - back lit and front lit) for our evaluations while clamping the test cameras into 1200 pound vises (top, bottom and side contact points) to guarantee that "shutter shock" or camera vibration is ruled out of our results. To the pendantic: Yes, our vises are anchored on concrete piers that go down 100 feet to bedrock...

In all seriousness, I have the 14mm f2.8 on an XT3 and look forward to shooting it this afternoon. It looks like we're going to have a cold but sunny day here. Should be just right. I'll keep you posted.

A quick blog note: We're trying different configurations of comment moderation this week because we are receiving several hundred spam comments per day. The comments go something like this: 

"Many congratulations on you're fine writing. My sister recommended to you sight for you expert opinion on the subject. Have you thought of adding photos to make your point? Check out my blog at XXXXX. I look forward to reading more here when I had time..." 

I don't know what the end goal of this seemingly endless stream of chatty comments buys the senders but I'm tired of seeing them and moderating them. Any suggestions of what to do about it?


15 comments:

Ray said...

I expect you're tired of idiotic comments like mine as well but I assure you I'm a real and faithful reader going back as far as your infatuation with Sony ASP/C cameras. Please don't block me.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

Not that long ago you used captcha for awhile. You stopped it for good reasons. I guess bring it back.

Jay

Bruce Bodine said...

I have no clue but perhaps Mike over at TOP can share his thoughts on the issue.

Kirk Tuck said...

Hi Ray, You've never left an idiotic comment. I've enjoyed everything you've shared and would only block you if you insulted my dog. Hope you are having a good New Year.

Anonymous said...

One for the idiotic comments - have you considered adding seismic monitors to your concrete piers to ensure earth tremors don’t interfere with the testing process?

On a less idiotic note, as per Jay, maybe give captcha another trial run. One of the problems with the internet is that greater convenience usually comes at a cost to security & privacy. Increased security means less convenience. As with photography, it’s all a compromise. At the end of the day - how do you value your time when spent on the blog?
Cheers,
Not THAT Ross Cameron

Malcolm said...

Ask all of us to start our comments with Kirk or Hi Kirk. I am assuming that spam is too generic to include your name.

Malcolm

MikeR said...

Speaking from the abysmally ignorant position of one who has never had a blog, is there a way to "register" people who want to comment? Like, maybe a subscription, but free, but you would vet subscription requests?

Perhaps Studio Dog could be delegated the task; you know, to apply the sniff test?

MikeR said...

By the way, what IS that image?

Ash said...

The 14mm 2.8 is a lens with character! Hope you like it.

I'm interested to see some of your wide angle compositions.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is a way to deal with all the unwanted chatty comments. I assume your regular readers are fairly quick to reply. You can screen the first 20 or 30 replies you receive and just dump the rest. Harsh I know, but Captcha is awful (IMO) and doesn't really protect you from those you want to avoid.

Eric Rose said...

The last two posts I have tried to make never saw the light of day. Using Chrome I can only use the URL method of authentication, maybe that's the issue, or I got nuked in the frenzy to eradicate all the spam. If I use Opera I can use my google email authentication. Whatever you choose please no Captcha! I would have to increase my daily dose of anti anxiety medication ;)

Ray said...

I'm a Labrador Retriever kind of guy but I would never knowingly insult Studio Dog. Some times I wonder why your wife puts up with you but I would never knowingly insult her either. God knows I'm skating on too thin of ice for that sort of response.

Edward Richards said...

From a user point of view, Captcha! is not much of a hassle if you use a current browser that handles its cookies. You do give up privacy, but as someone said, that is the cost. I have not tried to administer it, so I do not what it is like for you. (I did like the comment on one blog that the Captcha! quizzes are just a cheap way to tune the AI pattern recognition for self-driving cars.)

Ash said...

Suggestion: The bot comments are link farming. Maybe you could auto-filter all comments that contain links.

John said...

On Wordpress, you can install a plug-in to automatically weed out spam comments. I’d figure a Google platform has something similar.