1.29.2019

The right lens makes a difference. Doesn't matter which format you shoot as long as you get the angle of view right.


Selena and I were out shooting at the ranch of a famous Texas musician. It was a breezy, cool day with lots of clouds. I was shooting with a Canon 1D mk2 and a couple different lenses. The lens that seemed most appropriate most of the time was an older 85mm f1.8. A close second was the 100mm f2.0. Both were fine lenses and both were useful right near their wide open apertures. 

The camera and lenses were definitely "old school." There wasn't any image stabilization available other than my good hand holding techniques but I'm not sure it would have affected the final results one way or the other. The camera was an APS-H format which is almost forgotten these days. It's about half way between APS-C and full frame. It's also the same format we enjoyed shooting in the old Kodak DCS 760 camera too. Something about that format just made sense to me. Big enough to share the same kinds of shallow depth of field we associate with full frame but at the same time the camera gave me a nice look with certain lenses; it made the 100mm f2.0 look a bit more like a fast 135mm. 

Selena and I spent most of the middle of the day making photos and then we headed back into Austin as the first rain started falling. I'm just revisiting these files after having set them aside for three or four years. It's fun to come back to old work, many times you bring along a new perspective. 





No comments: