2.01.2019

"A Poor Craftsman blames his tools." And, "A Poor Marketer Blames the Market."

One of my favorite images but not one I'd send to marketers at IBM or Dell. 

One of my favorite executive portraits and one that I'd happily send to corporate clients.


Over the years that I've been in this business I've found that it continually lives up to the tired, old saying of Ancient Greek Philosopher, Heraclitus, that Change is the Only Constant. I've heard over and over again that people just want to find their style and then continue along forever doing their photography in exactly the same way. I guess that's fine if their style is something their market will embrace forever but for most commercial artists ever changing styles and fashions drive current sales. Resting on one's laurels can be....ill advised. I think the only artists who can spend their days rehashing their greatest hits are the ones who are already dead and were lucky enough to have made it to the big time before the Grim Reaper punched their tickets.

For the rest of us success comes not from just staying visually and conceptually relevant but also (and probably most important) constantly fine tuning our marketing. But the biggest marketing error I see, beyond putting up inappropriate samples, is not having a flexible but scheduled advertising strategy. 

There seems to be a depressing trend among small businesses in general, and freelance artists in particular, and that is the tendency to completely ignore marketing when schedules are full and days are busy, then, when the big job is over and the e-mails turn from clients to spam a panic sets in and the realization hits that Bob the Photographer desperately needs to get some sort of marketing out to quickly prime the pumps of commerce. Inspiration seems to strike just as the last of the cash flow gets parceled out to necessities and there's little left for any sort of campaign.

In a panic one tends to fall back on what might have worked to get business in the past. I've watched a certain arc occur when the panic from no work hits. The first impulse is to totally revamp the website. This is a black hole where time in concerned and misses the primary idea that something needs to drive clients and potential clients to the website in the first place (Please go see my website: kirktuck.com ).

After days or weeks of toil on the website (while the bank account continues to dwindle) the photographer turns to social media as the next (free) step and starts pelting his fellow  SM users with random images, disjointed stories and too many posts. Yes, someone on Instagram will give him a few "nice captures!" but delivering new work right now is not a superpower of social media. I think one's desperation and one's success from social media are inversely proportional. The more panicked one becomes the less effective the free media becomes....

The next step for the marketer-behind-the-eight-ball is to go to the lowest common denominator and cut prices on commodity work. A strategy that rarely works and still requires a buyer who needs something right now. Most good advertising projects are planned far in advance --- 

At the end of this progression Bob ends up sitting at the local professional photographer Happy Hour nursing a cheap beer and joining in the chorus that's busy blaming "market conditions" for their lack of income. The premise being that we're in a continual downturn and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.

A few words of advice. Figure out who your markets are. Introduce yourself. Send marketing information that's useful to potential clients. Send it regularly. Market across multiple media. Some direct mail, some social media, some public relations, some direct meetings to show new work (and to show off your winning personality...). Be consistent with your message. Be consistent with your logo and the look and feel of your branding. 

I have so many friends who work in advertising. I hear so many stories of random e-mail blasts showing off "boudoir" style photos aimed at art directors who work in technology or medical fields. I hear about the same art directors getting one great postcard but no follow up, no further signs of life.
And I hear at every lunch meeting about some new creative talent who is making himself/herself persona non grata by e-mailing weekly, even daily. 

Notes from experience: Instagram is fun and breathless but the corporate clients spend their time over on LinkedIn. One post card is a waste of time and money. Six postcards mailed over a six month time frame is bound to get one noticed; as long as the work is targeted to the recipient. Facebook is great if you are hunting for wedding photography or children photography. Facebook sucks for corporate and commercial work. And it's a good place to waste days and days of time.

Start by identifying the people you want to work with and then reverse engineer the process. Figure out what accounts they work on; what kind of clients they have. Craft messages/include photos that let potential clients know you understand their markets and can provide what they need. Figure out a way to create a consistent campaign and follow it over time. The creative arts are not a business known for instant success (even though the general press would like to have you think otherwise) so you have to plan for campaigns that build over time. And then you have to engage.

Usually, when I hear another photographer blame the market, or I hear myself bemoan an economic slowdown, I know we're trying to blame something we can't control. We can only control how well we market and how well our marketing changes with change. 

Yes, there are bad markets. Yes, there is constant change across industries. Your job, should you wish to be financially successful, is to spend less time and effort trying to figure out the ultimate format or the "camera of the moment," or how many dancing angels can be in focus at f1.0, and to spend that time staying in touch with the people who can write you checks. Figuring out where your market is moving next and how your messaging (not brand) needs to change with it.

I think it's true that a poor marketer blames the market. 

11 comments:

Fred said...

I started writing a convoluted comment about this post and erased it to just say...cool post. This is useful information that can be used in a lot of circumstances.

Kirk Tuck said...

I know this one sounds a little preachy but I wrote it as a REMINDER TO MYSELF!!!!!! to get with the program. It's a new year and I've been spinning my wheels on non-biz stuff. Even if I am pressed for time I need to remind myself to start a 2019 marketing program and at least put it on auto-pilot. If you doubt what I wrote I'm here to tell you that I live it from time to time until I catch myself being stupid and re-boot. Last night I re-read my old book, Commercial Photographer's Handbook. It's not quite current but the underlying framework still holds up. The guy who writes this stuff often needs a swift kick to get back on track........

Fred said...

Well, the reason that I started my original convoluted comment was because I have been aware recently that I have to get my derriere in gear on more than one front. So even though marketing is not a current issue for me I took it to be a useful nudge, even though I know it wasn't directed at me.

MikeR said...

Re "Figure out who your markets are. Introduce yourself. Send marketing information that's useful to potential clients. Send it regularly. Market across multiple media. Some direct mail, some social media, some public relations, some direct meetings to show new work (and to show off your winning personality...). Be consistent with your message. Be consistent with your logo and the look and feel of your branding. "

Great advice for ANY business.

Michael Matthews said...

If any validation were needed consider this: at certain points in 2009 his workload had fallen to virtually zero. Now this guy’s booking as many as three jobs a day! Any questions?

Dave Jenkins said...

Another chapter for the book. . .

Mark said...

Excellent points.
I find myself resorting to personal visits and phone calls to past clients. I too have found that my clients are not hanging out on SM but rather are networking and building a Rolodex (literal and metaphorical) of vendors and resources for their employers.
One hour spent talking to real people about real ideas is worth a week of beating your brains and keyboards on websites and SM.

Kevin Blackburn said...

Well said I agree the SM part is a mixed bag for me

jmarc.schwartz said...

Bingo! Je vous lis depuis plusieurs années Kirk, je vous trouve très pertinent lors de vos analyses dans la vie d'un photographe pro. Votre article me touche car, je vis précisément cette chose avec ma vie professionnelle de photographe en France. Comment faire pour continuer, nous avons tous les outils moderne de communication pour atteindre le monde entier, depuis sa chaise de bureau. Figurez-vous que je crée seulement cette semaine ma première page facebook depuis que ce réseau existe (mon côté rebelle), instagram ok, mais cela ne permet pas de gagner de nouveaux clients ( enfin pour moi). Je reviens toutefois à la rencontre physique d'antan, carte de visite et book en main. Bref, j'ai envie d'avoir envie, vous voyez? Bref, votre article m'a reboosté. Merci

Mitch said...

Seeing Albert Watson in NYC a couple days ago, I was reminded that the greatest skill you can have as a photographer is the ability to think -through- what you are going to do, should do, or want to do. Right down to, for some of us, writing down steps. This applies to business, visualizing what I want for images, everything. Interestingly, formerly, as a full time staff photojournalist I always seemed to be able to think through situations better than I do now. Perhaps it was the twin terrors of daily productivity requirements and lack of time at any assignment.

But remaining proactive with marketing as a self employed photographer remains a challenge. Some folks use "implementation intentions" such as putting out their workout clothes the day before as a way of pre programming themselves to just do it. Keeping a monthly written log of all the contacts I made (following up on new prospects as well as staying in touch with existing clients) has seemed to make me more accountable. Began doing it after running into a good, former, client who didn't know that I was still living, and working, in our small town.

So the handwritten log of contacts for the year, divided into months, sits near the computer, reminding me to just do a little bit of it, often.

Anonymous said...

truly exceptional photographs.