3.23.2019

Curious readers wanted to know what the Fuji 8-16mm f2.8 files I uploaded yesterday might look like when corrected in post processing. Here are a few I grabbed and transformed.

I pulled the files into Lightroom and used the transform function to correct the geometry of the files. Mostly I used the "vertical" setting in order to make the sides of the buildings roughly parallel to each other. I try to slightly under correct in most images with buildings so it doesn't look Stepford Wife Creepy and come off as artificially different from human perception...

These (and all the files I normally upload to the blog) files are sized to 2200 pixels on the long end and saved as low compression Jpegs. Google also seems to do a bit of heavy handed compression once they get their mitts on them so I'm not sure how literally you'll want to judge technical quality here (especially if you are viewing on a cellphone....) so just be aware that a full res file will have more detail and perhaps a bit less muddy color than what you might see...

All the images are shot at focal lengths between 8mm and 12mm. Most are shot at f5.6.

I have to say that I like the files once I straighten them out and look at them objectively. I only wish I'd had this lens a week earlier; it would have been fun to use in the middle of the crowds of people on Sixth Street, here for SXSW. 

More to come....I'm sure. 


11 comments:

David Enzel said...

The images are beautiful. I just bought an XT-3 and love it. I just got the 56 1.2 and so far am impressed. Fuji makes some great lenses. I am also testing C1 and think it does a better job than Lightroom at least with Fuji RAW files.

Kirk Tuck said...

Hi David, Thanks for being such a long time reader (and friend!). The XT3 is nearly perfect for artistic shooting. I've loved everything that's come out of mine. I wanted to get a 56 f1.2 this week but my local supplier is out of stock. I'll wait. I have the two new zooms to break in first. Don't overlook their f2.0 lenses. The 35mm is very good. The 50mm f2.0 might be my second sharpest lens.... after the 90mm.... Enjoy. Share some!

Michael Matthews said...

What a handsome building is The Driskill Hotel. I don’t remember seeing photos other than the lobby interior. If your interest in architectural photography is growing that looks like a photo essay waiting to be shot. Of course, they’re not building a lot of those these days. Hyatt certainly has the budget to indulge itself, though. Given the proper hook on which to hang such a project....

Ted Squire said...

Straightening really changed those. The first one has the WOW factor, but has improved. Must be the long swoop. Long live the LR Transform panel. It's a very new thing to see you shooting wide. I'm not sure you needed to include the bridge and pile of cracker boxes in one image. My eye was torn between two very interesting subjects. Too much going on for my tired old brain. Looking forward to see you use the super long.

BTW - What do you think of Light, Science and Magic?

Fred said...

I liked the pictures in the prior post that were "untreated" except for the camera software, but these are really cool.
I did have a minor epiphany looking at these photos. Architectural photography has long been an interest of mine, avocationally as well as professionally (where I was mostly taking pictures of details later to be used as references for CAD drawings.) Looking at these photos made me think that the Canon FD mount TS 35mm f2.8 lens that I have been intrigued by since it first came out and the attendant tripod necessary for its use is no longer needed. It feels liberating if a little sad.

Kirk Tuck said...

The Driskill Hotel is amazing and wonderfully preserved. It's been in Austin forever and is still a favorite of knowledgeable travelers. Since it's only three blocks from the enormous, new J.W. Marriott it's fun to go between the two and compare the elegance of the Driskill to the "efficiency" of the newer property. With a jazz pianist in the 100 year old bar the Driskill always wins for sheer panache.

Anonymous said...

I the efforts you have put in this, thank you for all the great blog posts.

Anonymous said...

As I website owner I believe the articles here
is rattling excellent, thanks for your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, it's genuinely a fastidious for me to pay a
visit this website, it includes important Information.

Anonymous said...

Great post, you have pointed out some wonderful details, I also conceive this is a very wonderful website.

Anonymous said...

Utterly written subject material, Really enjoyed studying.