3.21.2019

What do you really want from your cameras and lenses that you aren't already getting?


We're such social creatures. Even the brightest and most independent folks among us can fall into "follow the leader" mode when the stars and the rationales line up correctly. Here's a case in point: I have a friend who changes systems at least as often as I do. The big difference between us is that he's primarily a videographer who also does photographs while I am very much a photographer who happens to do some video.

While my friend owns a Sony FS 7 video camera for big, high production video projects he fell for the lure of the Panasonic GH5 system and ended up with a couple of cameras and a bushel basket full of lenses. After using them for the better part of a year, and having done a number of very successful assignments with them he decided that the files generated are too noisy for a camera that he likes to press into service for many different kinds of projects. He also is much less fond of lighting as much as I do and would love for his cameras to all be great low light shooting tools. This week he sold off all of his Panasonic gear at once and re-oriented himself back to the Sony A7xxx cameras he'd been hot and cold on before.

Seems he really likes the color of the Panasonics better but the noise rendition of the Sonys better. He's acutely disturbed by noise in video files so he's made his move back into a system that he hopes will solve his problems. With the proceeds from the sale of his Panasonic stuff he's gone into the process of cherry-picking new Sony lenses (which will work with his still cameras as well as with the FS camera) like the 70-200mm f2.8G, the 24-70mm f2.8G and several others. I wish him much happiness with his new choices; I really do.

But here's the maddening thing for me; I think my friend is an extremely creative artist and I feel drawn into his slipstream to also better sort out my camera systems. I did a quick inventory of my m4:3 gear and talked to my dealer about its trade-in value. He tossed out a number and I did what I normally do, I started putting together a list of my fantasy purchases to round out my Fuji camera system. I figured I could sell off the smaller format gear and plow the proceeds into the bigger, APS-C system. It's a kind of madness that I've done before with other systems it's just that this time I had my very own thought leader making the jump before me and, by extension, making it okay for me to consider the same kind of transitioning.

In the end I have little doubt that I'll go ahead with the whole transaction. Having one unified system has been a goal of mine for a while. The timing is good as the stuff I currently own will never go up in value while the lenses I'd like to add to my Fuji system are both on sale and will give me a $1,000 savings if I make the trade before the Fuji sale runs its course at the end of March.

If I stick with my plan I'll have an excellent collection of Fuji lenses that will give me the range of 8mm to 400mm or, in full frame speak, from the equivalent of 12mm to 600mm. Every lens I've bought for the Fuji system so far is really good and I haven't yet stumbled across a reason for regrets.

I'm trying hard to fall in love with wide angle lenses and I'm hoping I'll have some sort of epiphany or satori with the 8-16mm. Or maybe I'll just mellow out with the 14mm f2.8; I already know that lens is a keeper.

Usually, I'm more drawn to acquiring new camera bodies but in this regard I feel well situated with the three XH-1 bodies I've accumulated, along with the XT3 and EX3.

The allure of having a single menu to keep in my mind is strong. We'll see how it all pans out...


16 comments:

pixtorial said...

I've done this at a smaller scale before. At one point I had m4/3 (Oly and Panasonic), APS-C and FF (Nikon) all in my kit at the same time, with a collection of lenses to cover anything I might want to shoot. That narrowed down to just the Nikon kit, and then last year we made the jump to Fuji and I've never looked back. I enjoy the single system, I still smile every time I shoot with the Fujis, and in all I have less gear to keep track of. Most important, I'm not missing anything in terms of what my daughter and I can shoot with our kit.

In the past I would have been in the camp saying "keep the Panasonic gear too!" but today I think you're thinking is right, get the value out of the Panasonic and Olympus stuff while you can and invest into the system that is (literally) working for you day in and day out. No slight on m4/3, it is still a very capable format, but there isn't enough differentiation from the Fuji kit to justify having both.

Michael Matthews said...

Let me know if the Panasonic FZ2500 is on the list of items to purge, assuming you still have it. I'll try to match the trade-in value offered by your camera store if you feel the item is in stellar shape.

4K video, built-in ND filters (plural), one lens adequate to anything I need now or in the foreseeable future. That's my list in response to the question in the headline.

ODL Designs said...

This is where the equivalence argument bears fruit.

I often look at quality comparisons across format, recently more for video, I have noticed the video crowd are very happy comparing FF or APSC sensors ISO for ISO.

However that is a false comparison unless you are happy with, or want the shallower DoF associated with larger apertures, smaller sensors Will not be set to the same ISO as larger formats. And in the video world as shutter speed is somewhat fixed, aperture and ISO become the variables.

So what I often ask myself is, do I want more shallow DOF? Because it is tied to the noise performance.

Either way, everyone obviously makes their own decisions on these matters, I have just wondered why the video crowd compares iso for iso when different formats would need different settings for a similar shot.

Have fun selecting your new lenses, personally I am still eyeballing the 45mm f1.2!

Ronman said...

Another great post, Kirk. Your journeys through various camera systems is always fascinating. Not because of a particular system you're employing, but because of the reasoning behind you current system choice and how it pairs with your work demands. I think this represents and is consistent with your many references to the creative side of your work, and how this is a constant motivator to get out in the world and observe. And while any system will capture a moment, finding what best reflects your observations and perspective is certainly a rational endeavor for any artist or creator.
I've been enjoying my X-T3 for the majority of my video work. Coupled with the 16-35 f/2.8 it has been an amazing system. And yes, the audio pre-amps are the best I've experienced with any camera. I've needed noticeably less input from my pre-amp than when using my Panasonic or Nikon cameras.
On a delayed side-note: It's great to have you back. I thought your reasons for needing a break interesting. I totally understand, as the quantity and quality of your posts would certainly require an occasional reset. I applaud and admire your output. But your reasons somewhat confounded me. Human nature is very resilient, and what we enjoy, well, can we ever get enough, much less too much? Your concerns for being repetitive or redundant are certainly admirable, but you've nothing to worry about with regard to your readers. Perhaps it seemed redundant and repetitive to you, but I think for most if not all of us your insight has always been useful, entertaining, enlightening and encouraging. If we love the art or the pursuit, we will always love and appreciate the guy who shares our passion but is performing the art at an even higher level. Your journey and evolution is part of the attraction, and any success or failure you experience along the way is an informative fuel for those of us "drawn into your slipstream". Make sense? This post, like so many others, are part the journey we all keep coming back for. My photo/video/audio forays are somewhat similar to yours, albeit on a much smaller scale, but your engagement in the pursuit of capturing the story and how it fits into your daily life is the real draw. You've been a good read, Kirk. I'm happy you're back, and even happier you found your vigor for story telling remains intact.

CWM said...

Just a shout for the Fuji 10-24mm. Almost half the weight (410g vs. 805g) of the 8-16. One stop slower but with OIS. Also, I have always liked the 16-35mm focal length range (technically, the Fuji equiv. is 15-36) because it can stay on the camera longer when I'm just walking around. I haven't shot with the 8-16, but the quality of the files with this lens are excellent! Will be taking this lens along with the 55-200 and a fast prime to Europe in the fall. Great travel kit. Truly missed your posts ...glad you're back!

Eric Rose said...

It makes a lot of sense to rationalize your system down to own vendor. When you are working hard and fast keeping menus etc the same is important. For my purposes, shooting video and stills for non-profits, many times in remote locals, the Panasonic ecosystem is just fine. I am just waiting for the GH5 to drop below $2K CAD and I will spring for one. Once the new FF Panasonic hits the street I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to upgrade to the latest flavour. Since I am now retired and donate my services price is an important factor in not jumping to APS-C or FF. My G85 and soon GH5 will probably serve me well enough into my old(er) age.

I enjoy reading how you are optimizing your kit and striving for the best quality product while at the same time not driving yourself nuts in the process. How much longer do you see yourself working at this level?

Eric

James Weekes said...

Let's talk in a year. I cannot believe that your restless curiosity and urge to try the new will let you finally settle on one system forever. What I do know is that whatever system you use you will get great results. Archer not the arrow thing. Your searches and experiments have allowed me to settle down with Micro 4/3 quite happily. As a former pro/current hobbyist it is all that I need. Great bodies, great lenses, awful menus (I'm talking' to you Olympus).

Kirk Tuck said...

Hi Eric, Believe it or not, I've slowed down the pace a lot in the last four years. I was averaging somewhere close to 100 assignments per year and I'm happy now taking 50 or 60 per year. I'm packing a bit lighter than I have in the past. I'm working with a video editor I like so I'm able to start off loading some of that post production. I'm collaborating with a new guy at Zach Theatre on video there and he's taking over the role of editing so that's more stuff off my plate. My (tongue in cheek) goal for the last ten years, at least, has been to work 10% less each year but to earn the same amount, year to year. I'm now looking for cameras and lenses that are more aimed at portraiture and still photography in general since I've finally learned to place nice with partners who are more video oriented. The assignment we did last month for Goodwill Industries was a good example: I shot all the stills while my friend, James handled all the video (mostly requested b-roll) on the same location at the same time frame over the course of two days. Collaborating is like getting time back to concentrate on my core stuff. I bring in the work now and share the parts that other people are better at than me. Still having too much fun to give it up.

Kirk Tuck said...

Thanks. Happy to be back!

Kirk Tuck said...

Thank you. I'll keep writing if you keep reading.

Kirk Tuck said...

Not just yet...

Kirk Tuck said...

Thanks William, I think there isn't that much difference to justify both. In the past I would have given the nod to the Panasonic stuff because it had better video but Fuji has radically upped their game now with video; especially in the XT3. But the XH-1s are really wonderful video machines as well.

amolitor said...

To directly answer the question in the title, my answer is "nothing whatever" and the reason is quite precise and clear: I size my desires to fit the equipment I own, and on those rare times when desires slightly exceeds capability, I salt in a little ingenuity.

As a fellow who is not attempting to make money with my cameras, I am privileged to operate this way.

This is, however, a life principle for me. If you consistently size your desires to fit within your capacity, you find yourself in a sense wealthy.

Kirk Tuck (Unenlightened in the ways of conservation) said...

To be without desire is the ultimate expression of wealth. Well played. Me? I'm so unenlightened I'll just keep playing around with toys...

amolitor said...

Allow me to reiterate that I am privileged to not be attempting to get a living with my cameras, which rather opens things up!

Anonymous said...

I totally see the appeal of going one system, one camera (also). Focus, constraints, no more "what do I use here or there," honing reflexes with the same interface.

I am going to wait and see what happens with the OMD EM5KIII or whatever model Olympus will call, as I think Panasonic is not focused on m43rds anymore. Depending on that, I may also go Fuji. The lens that keeps me in m43rds is the Olympus 75mm F1.8 as that's a focal length (150mm equiv) that I shoot often enough and the lens is both good and small. Fuji lens equivalent here is a bit big. Wish they did an XF90 F3.5 or F4.0, smaller.