4.19.2019

Sleep walking beside Fifth Street. A humorous essay on the wearisome duality of modern existence in a populous city where no one is outside.

In a more serious artery, this was my experiment in using Fuji's flat, "Eterna" color profile. It's one they suggest for video production, taking the place of an even flatter F-Log profile for people who don't have the time or inclination to learn how to grade in Premier or Final Cut Pro (or Resolve...). I also gilded the lily by using the DR +200 and +400 settings which are supposed to increase highlight retention by one or two stops. Before I color corrected them you could see so far into the shadows that it was as if you had painted all the interior spaces stark white. But flat is boring so I added back some needed contrast and popped up the saturation just a bit. And here we are; back where we started....

Camera: Fuji X-H1. 60mm Macro lens. Jpeg. Eterna. 
Photographer: Self-Propelled. 









2 comments:

Kristian Wannebo said...

*Sleep* walking ?
Not according to the photos!
:-)

"...
The sun is shining over the city,
only the photographer is awake.'
(paraphrasing a Swedish classic)

When I was a kid in the -50s, Sweden looked just as empty on Good Friday.
We were not allowed to play outdoors, public entertainments were forbidden by law.

Do McConnell said...

I like the colours here. I still have a tiny and ancient (in digital terms) Fuji F11 compact, which has a ‘Chrome’ colour profile (not to be confused with Classic Chrome on the modern Fujis) that I always liked. These shots really remind me of that.