6.08.2019

Crazy fun stuff that I like to buy. This time is a half terabyte external Sandisk SSD drive.

On the Spanish Steps in Rome. 1995. Mamiya Six camera.

I'm photographing the annual Summit conference for WP Engine at the end of the month and I learn new stuff every time I do this three day assignment. We move fast. They move fast. A few times last year we (the marketing team and I) had photographs from the CEO's final speech up on social media minutes before she left the stage. Three years ago I learned I needed a much faster laptop for the conference (no time to head to the studio to process and upload, we did everything within 100 yards from the main stage) so last year I finally retired the noble but painfully slow Mac Pro I had been using and bought a new one with a faster processor, more memory and an SSD HD. It's so much quicker. The narrow part of the funnel last year was how long it took to write files to my conventional (spinning disk) hard drive. So, this year I bought several of the Sandisk 500 GB SSD drives I found on Amazon for $89 each. I've already tested one of the drives and it's super speedy compared to the older tech. Now my big hope is that the new Fairmont Hotel here in Austin, Texas has a nice, juicy broadband connection with which to work.

This will also be my first year to use the Fuji cameras for a larger conference. I'll be shooting mostly photographs but need to also catch some B-Roll video for the client as well.  The X-H1 is particularly well suited to this. The real trick is in the upload. We shy away from 4K when we aim for fast delivery....

Last year, when I was shooting displays, and some demo areas that were in really low lighting, I used a monopod for stability but I ended up anchored to the camera. You can't just walk away from a monopod and think that your camera and the floor won't soon meet up,  and there were times I wanted to set a self timer, use a flash and stand with the hand held flash about ten feet over to one side. I have narrowed down my selection of tripods for photographs to just two. I may have "over narrowed" because while the two that remain are wonderfully rigid and durable neither is light weight and both are a pain in the ass to carry all over a hotel convention space.

I have my eye on a Benro tripod that might fill the bill for a very small, very light, take everywhere tripod. It's called a Benro Slim. It's carbon fiber, has a decent bullhead and only weighs something like 2.4 pounds. I know it won't be as sturdy as my big Gitzo but I also know I can strap it onto the side of my photo backpack and never notice the weight. It's for those times when I want to shoot interior stuff and I need to have the camera on an autonomous support so I can walk away from it to adjust lights, etc. (Darn, I was so enthralled with what I was writing just now and I took a break to look at the tripod specs on Amazon and decided, in the spur of the moment, to just go ahead and order it......).

The interesting aspect of this show for me is the immediacy of delivery that we're going to engineer. I'm working hard to figure out how to continuously, wirelessly, send files as I'm shooting to a folder on the laptop but I can't figure out (right now) how to continuously upload the images from the computer's folder to a Smugmug gallery without having to touch the computer. We use Smugmug.com to share the photographs with the team so they can quickly select and download the stuff they want to use.

If you have ideas for speedy, one man file transfer I'd love to hear them.

9 comments:

HR said...

Coincidentally I bought a Sandisk 2tb external SSD earlier this week myself. My thin ultrabook computer has an internal 256gb SSD, but when I am traveling (like now) I have had it connected to an external HDD. My LR catalog was on the internal SSD, but all my photos and other stuff was on the external HDD. I have about 1.5tb so I transferred it all to the new 2tb SSD. Now using LR with this ultrabook is faster and smoother.

pixtorial said...

Kirk, SmugMug maintains an active list of third-party uploaders. Only one appears to be a commercial product, it is called Pickbackman. I do not have personal experience with it, but by description it is what you're looking for. It "automates the backup of photos to online photo services", including SmugMug. While "backup" isn't really the goal you're seeking, the act of moving the files is essentially the same. Looks like you simply select the local folder(s) you want to sync and the destination you're syncing to. If I get time I'll play around with it and report back. There are also some Python and PERL scripts to do the same, but that is likely more DIY than you're seeking.

https://help.smugmug.com/third-party-uploaders-downloaders-migration-tools-and-utilities-r11dlxDJNBz

mikepeters said...

I think you can designate a folder in LR to automatically upload to a gallery in SmugMug. I use SM but not LR as I don't like the cataloging system of LR. But for those who do there are more options for uploading than through Bridge.

Michael Matthews said...

Strikes me that’s what Samsung was aiming for ultimately. Too bad they didn’t make it all the way. Maybe there’s an iPhone app that will let you link to the camera (wirelessly or wired) and upload continuously, frame-by-frame or in bursts of selected frames. If not, there should be one by next week.

Tom Brayne said...

Re: Tripod. I've been using a 13XX series Gitzo for ages and it's nothing but great for up to medium format. Not often needed w/ the Fuji's though. I've been using a MeFoto (part of Benro I believe), aluminum Globe Trotter. $200ish w/ ballhead & case. Works well w/ X-T2/X-Pro2 w/ lenses up to 50-140. Seemed at it's limits back in the days of Nkon D7200 w/ Grip and 80-200/2.8 AFS though. You might give a look.

Hugh said...

I've spent today fitting an extra two 2TB SSD drives to my 5 year old Thinkpad W530 laptop, making a total of 5TB...

Otherwise quite like a MacBook Pro ;)

Rick Baumhauer said...

Following on from Mike Peters' comment, I think a combination of sending images from your Fuji to your laptop over WiFi to a specific folder, setting that as a Watched Folder in Lightroom, and getting the settings right in the Smugmug publishing plugin for Lightroom should do what you're looking for.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

The Sandisk SSD is tiny and worked well on my first trail. I transferred 1500 images from my camera cards to the drive through Lightroom's import menu, messed around with the files in LR and then exported the changed files back to the drive. Then I uploaded the images from the drive to Smugmug. Much faster than a spinning drive. Much happiness.

SSDs for everyone!!!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Should say, "Trial" not "Trail." Doh.