7.17.2019

I spent some quality time talking to a real, working, audio engineer about my upcoming video shoot. Here's what he told me about microphone technique. Here's how I'll proceed....

Here's the situation: We're scheduled for a video project that requires us to videograph three people interviewing each other in a very large, bright room that has very high ceilings and hard floors. My first impulse was to use lavaliere microphones (either wired or wireless, no difference to me...) and run two of the channels into one "A" camera and the third microphone output into a "B" camera. That would require two of us to monitor audio levels while operating the cameras. That would also create three different sound tracks, two of which would require syncing in post production editing.

My audio expert works on huge stages and with multiple actors all the time; every day. Years and years.  Keeping track of up to 40 actors, all wearing lavaliere microphones and set to independent channels, in many live shows. When he offers advice about audio I listen.

His suggestion was that I get the interviewees grouped fairly close together for my spot and then mic them with two shotgun microphones. He suggested that there is a sweet spot that's just far enough back to allow two mics to overlap their pickup patterns to effectively cover all three actors.

I asked about using lavalieres for this and he educated me about possible phase issues that could arise and be a bear to fix in post. Better, in his opinion, to stick with a two channel only option and perfect that. Another suggestion (for dealing with the live-ness of the room) was to put sound blankets under the chairs, on the floor behind the chairs and on the floor in front of the chairs. While I won't have each interviewee on a discrete channel I would dodge the dreaded affects of phase issues and also issues of people touching their microphones or having clothing rustle ruin a great quote.

I think that he and I  mostly agree that while well placed lavalieres do a great job at giving one super clean audio and good isolation they can sound quite flat. Think "low dynamic" range, but in audio. A really good shotgun microphone gives a more convincing combination of voice and room tone and, if the actors are a set up linearly then you get actual left to right stereo effect wherein the audio has spatial cues.

One of the other reasons to use wired shotgun microphones is their very low latency effect. Especially versus the newer, mid priced "auto frequency scan" wireless systems. These introduce a bit of delay that can become noticeable as frame rates go up. Wired mics are not affected at anywhere near the same degree.

I'm planning on using two Rode NTG4+ microphones grouped at the end of a Gitzo boom pole, just out of frame. I run them into a passive Beachtek mixer/interface so I can have physical knobs to turn if I want to pull down one channel or the other. Now the only other big thing I need to keep in mind for audio is to bring enough XLR cabling.....

Listening to professionals in the field (at the tops of their games) sure beats the hell out of sourcing information on the gear blogs on the web. And, yes, I get the irony of having just written that.....




6 comments:

Richard said...

Interesting approach to mic use. If possible it would be nice to see photos of your setup from various angles. Thanks.

Wolfgang Lonien said...

Another hint or two from a former musician who also worked as a sound tech in studios when he was younger:

1. you could try to find out the "boomy" room frequency in post production using a parametric eq which you first push up and the sweep through until you have that frequency. Then, adjust the width of the filter, and turn it down a bit. Not too much, just a dB or two helps a long way already.

2. for the voices themselves, also consider using a bit of compression. Again, not too much, just 2x or 3x. Then push the levels ever so slightly, which will greatly enhance the clarity and makes those voices more understandable.

3. finally, keep it all to LUFS (or in America, LUKS) levels for the intended use (radio/TV broadcasting, streaming through Youtube or other online services and so on). Find that in your search engine, or ask your audio producer friend about it.

Audio is important in videos, so good luck.

And cheers,
Wolfgang

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Wolfgang. I'll do a search for our intended use profile. And +++ on compression. Thanks, Kirk

pixtorial said...

I like the video related posts, just to be clear. Despite having over a decade of pro audio experience, when I dove headfirst into sound for film last year in support of my daughter's first short film, I quickly realized it is a world unto itself in both technology and technique.

My only comment would be that in a highly reverberant space, shotgun mics, which are an interference tube design, can act weird. You can get strange phase effects from reflected sound reaching the interference tube at different times. It gets worse as the ratio of direct to reflected sound decreases. Shouldn't become a huge problem unless your subjects are talking really softly or you have an unusual amount of mic to subject distance.

The core truth in sound for film/video is there is no substitute for applied practice. Every room or location is different. Every scene is different. There are no magic tools to save you (outside of a good blimp, those are magic). The more you can invest in good tools, the better your raw audio has the potential to be, but it is meaningless without good practices. A $1000 mic picks up that humming A/C just as well as a $100 mic :)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Pixtorial, Thanks for the additional information. I have had issues with shotguns in smaller spaces but not in much larger spaces. My first line of defense is sound blankets. Lots and lots of sound blankets. I'm a bit tunnel vision about stuff like this so tomorrow I'll head over there with a couple of shotguns and an audio recorder and test, test, test.

Thanks!

Robert Roaldi said...

I have nothing cogent to add about sound recording but I wanted to point out one thing. My wife and I have stopped watching some TV programs because of how many times the background music drowns out what the actors are saying. I get it that music can add drama or set a mood, but so can the actors' dialogue! This may not be entirely relevant to the videos you work on, but if you end up adding incidental music to videos, my suggestion is that you keep it in its place, in the background at low volumes.