7.19.2019

Can we talk about medium format? Why am I in no big hurry to grab a new Hasselblad or Fuji MF camera?

On a train to somewhere. 

There is an allure to the idea of medium format photography that a lot of us find pretty captivating. Sometimes we have trouble separating aspirational avarice from actual, technical benefits. I know that a fair number of photographers are thinking that moving to medium format will give their images more resolution and more dynamic range. Others (like myself) remember photos we took with larger surface area film medium format cameras and loved the way the sharpness fell off from our main point of focus to the foregrounds and backgrounds and we think moving to the new cameras will help us recapture that look. Some, raised in the days when most cameras had APS-C sensors, are hoping for a combination of all the above. But somehow, I'm not very excited about the whole idea. 

When we shot with medium format film we were shooting a 6 cm X 6 cm film size which is roughly 2.5 times bigger than the "pixie" medium format Sony sensors everyone is rushing into cameras the makers are aiming at a new consumer cohort that's flirting with a move up from the 24 by 36 mm "full frame" cameras most are presently using. It's not a particularly big jump. The thing that made 6X6 cameras seem like a huge jump from 35mm film was the fact that the MF film size was 4X bigger instead of just 70% bigger. You could immediately see the affects of "focus ramping" and subject isolation (comparing the same angles of view) between the two formats. Now, with pixie MF, not so much. 

Also, in the film days (and marketers are really using this nostalgia almost dishonestly here), if one was shooting Tri-X across formats there really was a 4X increase in overall potential resolution when moving from a 35mm camera to a 6X6 cm camera. That's quite different than today's situation in which the affordable MF cameras, at 50 megapixels, have no more real, observable, resolution than any number of high resolution 35mm style cameras. Sony, Nikon, Canon and Panasonic all have current cameras in the same resolution ballpark and Sony has just introduced a camera that pushes past the Fuji and Hasselblad 50 megapixel cameras; at least on paper. So it's nowhere near the same comparison as that of resolution advantages in the film days. No where close. 

If I compare cameras that I might buy with, say, the Fuji GFX 50R, I come up with a box of compromises in both directions. My choice for full frame (35mm style) would probably be the Panasonic S1R fitted out with the 24-104mm zoom lens. With the Fuji I'd be better served picking three unique focal lengths as there is no "universal" zoom for that system yet. 

The difference in resolution would be negligible. The difference in usable dynamic range would be nil. But the difference in handling would be tremendously tilted in favor of the "smaller" camera. From the body ergonomics all the way through to the EVFs. Add in the need for at least one back up camera and the system economics fall firmly into the Panasonic full frame camp. 

The only current lens choice that tempts me in the Fuji MF system is the 110mm f2.0 and that's because of my nostalgia for the fast Zeiss lenses that we used to have for the focal plane Hasselblads. Lenses like the 110 f2.0 Planar and the 150mm f2.8 Sonnar. Couple those with at about double the effective surface area of the film gate and you could get some amazing subject isolation with a glorious "focus ramp" that flowed gracefully from needle sharp to wonderfully soft. And with happy bokeh.

There will be photographers who can justify getting one of the new cameras but they'll be focused on the GFX 100S and not one of the lower res cameras. The use will probably be mostly studio work and big production imaging. I've walked around with a GFX 50S and a big lens and I'm pretty sure my favorite travel photographers (like James Popsys) aren't going to try shoving a full MF system into their travel backpacks and hike across glaciers with the added weight and size. 

So, if the logical choice for those who do need MF digital is the GFX 100 one then has to come to grips with a radically changed marketplace for providing imaging services. It's good to keep in mind that rates paid for imaging and licensing of images have been flat for years. A new camera; even in a new format, is not going to change the budgets of clients. The move up from ubiquitous APS-C camera to full frame cameras over the last decade barely budged the needle for increased $$$ when that evolution occurred, no reason to think that the evolution to a slightly bigger frame size will do it either. 

Most people in the business; including those shooting with Nikon, Sony, Canon and others, will already have an investment in their chosen camera ecosystems and the acquisition of a MF camera system will certainly be an augmentation of the existing inventory instead of a full on replacement. From an economic point of view it's a doubling of costs to service what will likely continue to be a flat market. Since I'm getting great feedback about the images we generate with Fuji APS-C cameras and lenses, and since 90% of our engagements these days are projects that go straight to the internet, you can count me out of the current MF feeding frenzy. Call me when we get back out 6x6 cm formats!

And with sharp, fast lenses from Fuji, like the 56mm f1.2 and the 90mm f2.0, as well as third party choices like the Viltrox 85mm f1.8 (currently being evaluated) you can count me out of the rush toward even full frame mania. 

This is being written from the point of view of a commercial photographer, not a well-heeled amateur. If I was an investment banker, an arbitrager, or a trust fund recipient I'd probably already have one of the Fujis. If I also had a nice sense of design and also a modicum of good taste I might select the Hasselblad instead. But since I earn money using the cameras to make videos, to shoot headshots, to make images of live stage performances, and to shoot on remote locations for large companies, I find the "all-arounder" cameras to be a much more efficient and cost effective proposition. 

To be clear, I can financially afford to snap up a MF camera but I refuse to do so because I can't see any clear benefit, currently, to doing so. YMMV. 

As to the new 60+ megapixel Sony, well that's a subject for another blog post. I won't be buying that one either but for totally different reasons.... 

Hope your day is going well and that all of you in the "heat zone" are finding ways to stay cool, and undamaged by UV. 

(please forgive any typos. I wrote this one in something like 23 minutes. I'll circle back to read more closely a bit later. I've got stuff to do right now...)

14 comments:

ODL Designs said...

They are tempting aren't they? :D

Seriously though, I have to agree, the more I shoot, the more I realize I am leaving nothing useful behind... I am getting the pictures I need, the clients are happy, the jobs keep coming and a MF camera will not change any of that.

Having said all of that, there is still a part of me that wouldn't mind grabbing the Pentax 645Z and 2 lenses just for fun... but then I realize I would have to carry the thing :) and I close the keh.com window and get on with some work.

It is a very tough place the camera companies are in... very tough.

Dave Jenkins said...

There are some typos, but not that many. If I could write that much that fast and that well, I would be ecstatic.

jmarc.schwartz said...

Fuji annonce la sortie pour fin septembre du zoom 16-80 mm f4.

David S said...

I had a play with the GFX100 last week. It handles beautifully, amazing detail and the IBIS worked for me down to a third of a second. Quite an astonishing camera. Glad to see that the "if only Fuji made a full frame camera" crowd can now shut up.
But the raw files are 200mb each and the tiff files begin at over half a gigabyte each. And most of my favourite image tools won't work on the GFX's pixel dimensions. Plus my processing and storage would have to be completely overhauled. Just at the point where it now works seamlessly.
I'm currently working on an exhibition of prints on 24 inch wide paper from the X-T1 (16 MP). Sure, I'm having to push some of the files to close to their limit, but nobody is saying there is not enough detail.
100 MP won't help me achieve good lighting, mood, story telling, composition, colour. It won't help me to have the stamina to work all day. It wouldn't give me anonymity in public. In short, it wouldn't make my my photographic life easier. And I suspect that "detail" is a trap for the photographically and financially unwary.
It has its place, and if I owned one I'd certainly use it. But it's not the camera I'd reach for on a daily basis.

Craig Yuill said...

If you need to shoot real medium format photos a much cheaper alternative was one you were extolling some years ago. Pick up a used film medium-format camera, shoot film, have film developed, then scan on a medium-format-capable scanner, such as the Epson V600. I think that still makes some sense today, especially if the format is used only occasionally.

As for the 60MP Sony - its announcement means to me that "full-frame" cameras are starting to make a little more sense. In a way, they make smaller-format cameras less relevant. When set to APS-C crop mode that sensor produces 26MP photos, which is about right for current state-of-the-art APS-C cameras. High-resolution sensors like that will make the "full-frame" cameras more versatile. If only they could make lenses for such cameras smaller and lighter. And less expensive! One can only dream.

Mathias said...

I found your blog “many” years ago because you talked about doing portraits on medium format film.

Perhaps the answer to the above (to the extent there was a question) is to take that Hasselblad out from time to time? Just sayin’.

Anonymous said...

Could it be that the Medium Format puffery right now is like "shoot Kodak Tech Pan and you will never need a 4x5 camera" from the not so distant past?

Richard said...

Great perspective!

Eric Rose said...

I just finished a roll of Ilford HP5 Plus shot in my Hasselblad 500C/M. The negatives just give me the giggles they are SO good. In about 20 minutes, including setup, I had them all "scanned" using my Panasonic GH5 equipped with a Nikkor 60mm macro lens. The results are outstanding! Same goes for C41 negs.

So I get the benefit of the MF look plus the benefit of manageable "MF" files. Naturally if rapid turn around, ie. camera to social media with a quick stop in LR is needed then this doesn't work.

Eric

Ray said...

I just moved down from APS/C to m43 and although the 4x3 ratio still looks funny to my eye, I don't think I'm missing anything and don't think moving up to a larger sensor would give me anything I don't have now.

and FWIW: I only wish I could collect and organize my thoughts in 23 minutes, actual typing be damned.

MikeR said...

Skimmed through this one, since I have not a single iota of lust for one of those things. Until I sell it on eBay, my Yashica "Rollei" will do for any MF urges.

BUT ... 23 minutes? A typo or two? Organized thoughts? Decent sentence structure? You rock, man!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

practicing writing at the speed of thought.....sometimes I fail.....

radissimo said...

I think that Full frame Foveon will be interesting to look at in 2020...

Edward Richards said...

I would be more interested in a 24MP 6x6cm chip than 100MP mini-MF chip. As you point out, once we moved away from grainy film, the point of larger formats was DOF falloff and drawing. 8x10 Petzval lens portraits are far from sharp, but have amazing drawing.