7.08.2019

Side tracked. But still interested.


Do you ever get side-tracked from your primary interests? Man, I do. And I have one of those bulldog personalities that won't let me unclench my tight bite on whatever I have in front of me until it's done, complete, finished and wrapped up. There's very little ability to multi-task over here at the VSL studio. I don't do stop and start well. I am compartmentalize-challenged. 

What am I talking about now?

I should be hunkered down in the studio office trying to get the marketing done that I'll need to succeed financially in the 3rd and 4th quarters. A mix of post cards, e-mails, some Linked In posts and a splattering of Instagram posts. It's a good time to do this stuff because we're officially in the doldrums of Summer when clients run and hide from the heat and nothing much gets done, but I have two things (at least) that are pulling my attention away from doing the work. The first is a re-start of what was, at one time, a never-ending construction project at the multimillion dollar house next door. I've gotten used to the daytime hammering; even the jack-hammering, but what I can't get used to is the contractors mindlessly parking their trucks across both of our driveways --- it's almost like they can't understand that two separate houses could have two separate driveways and that parking across the one that isn't your client's is stupid, and wrong. 

If we were in the perfect world of my imagination my neighbors (who I do like) would be at home instead of out of town for two months. If they were home I'd just stroll next door and ask them to have a word directly with their various contractors and instruct them NOT to park in front of my driveway. Then my neighbor and I would crack a bottle of fine Champagne open and we'd take turns making inane conversation like, "Wow! How about that last game of the World Cup???" But in the real world the neighbors are gone off to somewhere cool and restful and I can't even locate the foreman for the ever expanding project next door. 

So, in those quiet moments during which the offending trucks have been relocated (by me) and the blank stares of the workers have turned back to other tasks, I'll start working on my own stuff until I get a phone call, e-mail or letter asking for clarification of something about my father's estate. Can I send a death certificate? Can I send letters testamentary? Can I fill out this form? Do I know my great grandmother's social security number? Usually I try to return calls quickly only to find that I'm ushered into the original caller's voicemail which then begins the routine so prevalent at big firms; the call back and message left five minutes before closing. I've have been trying to connect with one person who called to "assist" me on this "estate project" about ten times. She's never there. But she does seem to hit the office once or twice a day, usually during lunch or some other inconvenient time, to leave a voice mail in which she consistently tries for an interjection of humor with the hoary and withered, "We seem to be playing phone tag!!! Ha. Ha.

I have a f@cking cure for phone tag. It's called setting up a time certain in which to make and receive the phone call. As in, "Hi Mr. Tuck, I'm sorry I wasn't able to reach you. I'll try again at 10 am tomorrow. If that's a good time can you just send me an e-mail to confirm? If not, can you suggest an alternate time?" But, of course, I don't have a clue as to the nature of her call or what I can offer but it's coming from one of my dad's investment companies so I feel duty bound to find some sort of closure. 

Ah, the mail just came. I picked it up out of our mail box after tracking down another slack-jawed, barbarian worker who once again positioned his oil leaking Chevy pick up truck right in front of my driveway. I was heading out for coffee.... So, now there are letters from three banks, an insurance company, and the Texas Retirement System, and all three of them would love to have... something. Something I'll need to find, research, prepare and send. It just never seems to stop.

And all I really would like to do is take some photographs. You know, use the cameras a bit. Maybe finish an assignment without some unwelcome interruption. 

I'll even blame my recent gear purchases on a repressed desire to actually use photographic devices. Maybe my internal logic is that by buying yet another camera or lens I'll show the universe my intention to make photographs and the universe will move mountains to assist me. In reality, the new toys mostly sit in their boxes or on my desk....taunting me and making my lack of clear direction and unencumbered enthusiasm painfully; excruciatingly obvious. 

I'm actually thinking of going out to buy my own tow truck tomorrow. I'll be hooking up horrifying pick up trucks of the workers (parking illegally) at projects all over my neighborhood and I'll tow them to downtown parking garages where the prices to free one's vehicle are a hundred bucks a day, and let everyone else sort it all out. But I really won't because I can't see how that will help me at with all the paperwork requests.

I've included two photographs from Iceland to remind myself that cool weather will come again someday. That I do get to do fun stuff, usually. That I can afford to take the time off to get stuff done. The only thing I am not sure of is whether the constant remodeling, tearing down and rebuilding, etc. in our neighborhood will ever abate. When pesky homebuyers buy million dollar houses with the intention of demolishing them in order to build much bigger and more expensive homes one wonders whether it's a never ending cycle which will eventually morph into new buyers buying the two to four million dollar houses only to tear those down and start again on even bigger and pricier ones. Maybe it's time to move.....

Sorry, no time for photographic writing today. Too busy being inconvenienced. 


Proof that at some point in the past I actually had time to photograph.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kirk,
There is an exhibit which will fire up your artistic side at a gallery here in Phoenix:

“Brian James Culbertson creates portraits of subjects under the influence of psychotropic drugs; Culbertson’s startling photographic prints themselves are developed in a wash of these chemicals: “The incorporation of medication used to alter the chemistry of the mind into my salted paper print process yields unpredictable results from print to print – just as it does with our own bodies.”

Let me know when you get here 😀

Rick

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I have dealt with construction workers who literally backed their trucks over a flower garden to get six feet closer to the house they were remodeling. And the trucks were largely empty. I was once remodeling a house and repeatedly asked the construction guys to park around on the other side of the block, where there was plenty of on-street parking, but they refused to do it -- again, it wasn't because they had to move heavy tools, it was because they didn't want to walk a block. So instead, they parked half-blocking a narrow two-lane street, parked-in neighbors driveways, and got everybody in the neighborhood pissed at me. I secretly encouraged the neighbors to call the cops and ticket the illegal parkers -- secretly, because I didn't want the guys installing my electric stuff and toilets to know that I was responsible for their parking tickets. And the tickets outraged them, although they were causing traffic jams on the street and they could look and see the problems they were causing.

Gotta calm down. But I've extensively remodeled five houses now, in three different cities, and it's happened every time. In my experience, these guys literally do not give a flying f***. They will NOT walk a block.

--JC

Ken said...

I'm sure you've pondered this and that it may sound naive, but would a no parking sign or orange cones help?

Mitch said...

Lawn chair. Preferably one of the cheap-o webbing ones with some of the webs busted and dangling. Half consumed Pabst Blue Ribbon. Garden hose. Crusty inflection as you turn on the hose and blast the parking-offenders the second they offend as you shout "you kids get the hell offa my lawn".

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Got it Mitch. I'm heading out to try that now.

Anonymous said...

Maybe buy some wheel clamps and charge them $100 to remove (or recovery costs), but being tradies they probably have the tools to cut it off.
Send photos of offending vehicles to neighbour with invoice/s for time spent inconvenienced and preventing ingress, egress and regress to your property.
Mitches idea is probably more fun...
Cheers,
Not THAT Ross Cameron