9.07.2019

Extending boundaries and also revisiting an old "friend."

Underneath the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge.

I didn't mean to turn a walk around the lake into an expedition yesterday but that's the way it ended up. Over the course of the last few weeks I'd been concentrating on getting comfortable with retro technology in the form of the Pentax K1 and I was ready to take a "vacation day" from the arduous rigors of shooting and composing with an optical viewfinder camera. I pulled an X-H1 out of the equipment locker and thought about the manner in which I would like to use it. The unmotivated idea of trying for optical perfection didn't appeal (please, let's take a break from modern "super" lenses) and I wasn't in the mood for the wishy-washy-ness of tromboning around with a zoom lens. I looked around the "vintage" lens drawer until I came upon the Olympus Pen FT 70mm f2.0 lens and decided to make that lens the focus of my photography. I used it with an adapter on the Fuji camera....

I must confess at this point that my ardor for walking is not principally motivated by a desire to look for photographs, rather, the walking is the goal and the camera is just along for the ride. Bouncing along on my shoulder just in case I see something I want to capture in the moment. When I write about walking with a camera it sometimes "reads" to me that the whole point is about the photography but about 90% of the point of most walks, for me, is to burn off nervous energy and to augment my other exercise practices. That, and a real practice of walking meditation.

At any rate, the X-H1 is very familiar to me now and I thought it would a nice walking companion. The  Olympus lens is small and relatively light so that's a bonus too.  As a result of a few reader comments bitching about seeing downtown Austin over and over again in my photographs I've started to branch out and walk more on the ex-urban trails around Austin. I've moved from shooting buildings and shop fronts, etc. to concentrating on the one part of photography at which I am least proficient ....landscapes and cityscapes. You might as well lean into your challenges; you never know what will emerge and how it might augment your usual practice...or, if nothing good comes out of it at least it doesn't cost much to try...

Once the camera and lens were squared away there were only the questions of: which route to take? and, what supplies I would need? I decided to park at Zach Theatre (which is adjacent to the lake and the trail) and do the usual five mile loop which would include Congress Ave. and the Mopac Expressway pedestrian bridge. I lathered myself with reef safe, zinc oxide sunscreen, put on my wide brimmed hat and stuck a big bandana in my pocket which I could use to wipe the sweat from my hands or for those times when I wanted to operate my camera, or to use protectively, hanging down from the back of my hat, to shield my neck from too much sun. I also stuck three dollars in my pocket in the event I found myself in desperate need of coffee; or, more prosaically, needing to buy a bottle of water. 

It was blisteringly hot this past week and today seems even more of a scorcher. When I headed out for my walk yesterday it had just hit 100 degrees but I didn't care much since I've done a good job of acclimating myself to the heat this Summer (which should come in handy on Monday afternoon when I photograph a golf event out on a central Texas golf course....). 

The first part of my walk took me along the south shore heading east. The 70mm lens is fully manual and, being 50 years old, has no ability to communicate in any way with a modern, AF camera. The combo of the 70mm f2.0 and the X-H1 does seem to work quite well in the aperture preferred mode and a bit less well in the focus peaking mode. In truth, I don't think the lens is optimized for sharp focus and good rendering at infinity --- or it could be that the adapter I'm using just doesn't allow accurate infinity focusing. I discovered that foible near the end of my walk when I stopped for water and to review a few of the shots. 

In the familiar part of the trail; the part I use most often...

While the sun was a bit oppressive it was a beautiful day and when I got to the Congress Ave. bridge I decided to keep heading East instead of crossing over to the north and returning along the North side of the lake trail. There's a lot of shade on the part of the trail that goes from Congress Ave. bridge until one gets near IH-35 and these were parts of the trail I hadn't been on for a number of years. They've been kept up well. About half way between the bridges the city of Austin has built a series of austere but extremely functional boardwalks that extend the hike and bike trail up over the water and around areas that are either private property or environmentally sensitive. I hadn't walked on these before and found my discovery of them downright joyous. 

One of the things that makes the walks even more enjoyable to me is seeing the large number of normal ly configured people and thin people out engaged in activity and exercising in the middle of the day. Not dozens, but over the course of the walk, hundreds. And that doesn't begin to count the people all across the lake on paddle boards, kayaks and canoes. It's great to see an emphasis on fitness in our city; even on a less than comfortable day, weather-wise. 

Of all the gear I brought along (not much) I think I'd give the nod to the hat and especially the bandana as being most useful. After an hour in the heat my hands were dripping with sweat and operating the camera would have been less pleasant if I had not had the bandana with which to wipe my hands before I pulled it up to my eye and used the focusing ring on the (not weather sealed) lens. The hat just kept me from frying my brains...

A small, city office at the beginning of the trail.


For the most part the south side of the trail is quiet, treelined and a nice immersion into nature in spite of running (along with the river) through the very center of downtown. But when you get to the IH-35 bridge you are re-introduced into the manic pulsation of modern, urban life. IH-35 is a relentlessly busy highway that is packed with cars and trucks of all kinds. Fortunately, there is a small, separate walkway from runners and bikers that takes one over the river and delivers one to the North shores. 

I ended up walking the entire IH-35 to Mopac loop and I checked on one of the park maps to see that it's about 8.2 miles in all. There is a longer loop on the trail, heading further east, but that's there for another time when the temperature is 10-20 degrees cooler, at least. I thought I was making good progress but it ended up taking me the better part of two full hours to complete the loop. I guess I lost time stopping to take photographs here and there. The nice thing about this loop is that at no time do you need to cross any roads. None at all. The walk ways either go under roadways or there are separate pedestrian portions of the North/South bridges you can use. 

If you are going to walk the 8.2 mile loop in the hottest part of the year I'll suggest a shirt that breathes very well (and wicks away moisture efficiently) as well as a broad brimmed hat, sunglasses and a bandana to use either as a towel or as an adjunct to your hat when the sun's angle is just so. You'll want to leave waterproof shoes at home and select footwear with good padding and a loose weave on top that breathes well too. 

It's nice to take a break from some parts of our pervasive technology and nothing seems more aggravating than watching a slow, fat executive in expensive running shoes walking sloppily down the middle of the trail (oblivious) and talking at the top of his voice into his cellphone. Do everyone a favor and leave yours at home. Or at least in the car. Believe me, if you get into an emergency situation while out on the trail someone within 100 feet will have a cellphone you can use to call 911. Best not to be burdened by the tech or subject one's precious phone to all the sweat and wear. Even if you don't give a shit about making everyone around you uncomfortable...



When I got back to the house I rinsed myself off with a garden hose, just to cool down, and then headed into the house to greet Studio Dog, tell her about my adventures, and let her sniff my dusty shoes. I took a shower, made lunch and then dropped the camera onto my desk in the studio. A quick glance at my watch let me know I needed to hustle if I was going to get to a TV commercial, pre-production meeting in time. 

Later, looking at the images, I was impressed with how well such an old and battered lens did in most picture taking situations. As I said before, the only place where I was not 100% happy was with images that were taken at infinity. But I'll get that figured out too. 

There are so many reasons why people go out on long walks but I find the best reason for me is that it clarifies my thoughts about things I'm working on or things I'm worried about. As many of you know from reading the blog over time, I've been dealing as the executor with both of my parent's estates. We lost my mom a year and a half ago and my dad about three months ago and I've been doing un-fun things like clearing out and selling houses, pulling together all of their investments and accounts, going through the process of probate and, in general, making sure to do everything right so I could both honor their legacies and not drop the ball on passing inheritances to family members. 

I took the walk yesterday in part to celebrate my completion of the final probate and my having distributed the bulk of my parents' estates to myself and my siblings. I don't do a lot of high finance. You probably guessed that when you found out that I do professional photography as my sole source of income... So I had a lot of anxiety and trepidation about wiring big sums of money to my siblings' accounts. I just didn't want to screw anything up. I had no idea I was as emotionally wound up as I was until I was mid-walk and, for the first time in a year and a half, my mind wasn't half filled with planning, scheduling or trying to understand the "next steps" I needed to take, or the contracts I needed to be ultimately responsible for. 

For the first time in a long time it felt like I was just out for an unencumbered walk with a good friend (my camera) and time that belonged only to me. Not to anyone else. And not to a legal process. 

Belinda, who has steadfastly guided me through all the trauma and drama of losing parents and gaining more responsibility than I ever wanted, has ordered (and she rarely makes emphatic commands!!!) that I go somewhere fun and far away from Austin and take a week or two for myself. Her idea is that I need to get back in touch with my photography in a way that I haven't been able to in several years. To be able to shoot just what I want and just where I want with no restrictions and no other obligations. Nothing to worry about...

I think I'll take her up on this but the question now is, "Where would you go to shoot for ten+ days if schedule, money and access were not limiting factors?" How would you choose?" "When would you go?"



The boardwalks.













A favorite interview by Paul Perton:

48 comments:

Gordon R. Brown said...

Congratulations on completing the probate process quickly. Completing my parents' estates took almost 18 months.

For your 10-day trip to recharge your photography, I'd suggest the mountains and plains of Colorado.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

"Where would you go to shoot for ten+ days...". I would like to return to Wales with black and white film and my Hasselblad (or Rolleiflex) to photograph the old granite and slate town houses, remote and sometimes abandoned stone farm cottages, old quarries and mines, forbidding bare mountain peaks, cliffs that drop down to the sea, and the myriad of stone markers and circles erected in prehistory. Why does Britain have so many of these monumental stone sites? Who put them there? Why? Regardless, there is no end of fascinating subject matter in Wales.

Scott said...

"Where would you go to shoot for ten+ days if schedule, money and access were not limiting factors?" "How would you choose?" "When would you go?"

The Oregon Cascades and the Bend, Oregon, area. Plus the Columbia gorge. And the Willamette Valley. And the Oregon coast. Lots and lots of Oregon. July, August, September.

Kenneth Voigt said...

These pictures are all blury.

Frank Grygier said...

Rent a GFX and all the lenses you can carry and go to Quebec.

Anonymous said...

New Zealand or Scotland

Dan Jansenson said...

Oaxaca for one week, Antigua, Guatemala for the second week. Both fabulous, ancient cities of extreme beauty and wonderful walking opportunities. They are easy to reach from the US on relatively short flights. Fantastic, healthy food, and incredible sights, all just about four hours away. Also extremely reasonably prices. Lots of people speak English. Visitors from around the world make for fascinating conversations. And some terrific small hotels within the centers of these cities.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Kenneth Voigt, ....what?

Anonymous said...

If your travels take you to northern Arizona let me know and I'll buy you a coffee.

DavidB

Kenneth Voigt said...

Kirk: I have been reading you for many years.
These pictures are all blury
Look at them on your site.
Best Regards, Ken (San Antonio)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Kenneth, Maybe not as sharp as the latest lenses but "blurry"? Hmmmmm. I looked at them on my monitor and..... Ah well.

Kristian Wannebo said...

Hi Kenneth,
excuse me for butting in, but have a good read:
https://www.dearsusan.net/2019/09/06/what-is-the-appeal-of-blurry-photographs/

Best Regards,
Kristian

Kristian Wannebo said...

Hi Kirk,
> "It was blisteringly hot .."

... heat?
https://www.dearsusan.net/2019/08/26/heat-photographic-challenge-results-are-in/
:-)

Glad you're finding yourself again!

Where to go?
I'd say anywhere where you would feel really well!
And with whatever camera & lens(es) you bring you'll find motifs to catch and bring home with you!
( Your blog proves that.)

Best wishes,
Kristian

David said...

"Where would you go to shoot for ten+ days if schedule, money and access were not limiting factors?" "How would you choose?" "When would you go?"

I have absolutely no idea.
Where should Kirk go?
Based on your love of buildings and people photos mixed in with the new walking trails. I would say you need to go to Toronto, Ontario Canada. The downtown is great, but you have to escape to the Toronto island. Some great walks, old houses, excellent view of the city scape and great people. The Toronto Island mixed in with some regular Toronto areas like high park, would really help you.
But now is probably the best time. Or wait until next year on July.

Gary said...

I love that walk (or for me, bike ride) around the lake. One of the best things Austin has to offer, along with the Elephant Bar and the great sausage and 200-draft beers and live music place in the Rainey Street area (the name escapes me). I need a return visit. Y'all have challenging weather, but the condo buildings keep going up.

David S said...

For food, scenery and photographs, I like Normandy, Brittany and especially around the Camargue.
If you would like to visit another world, Antarctica.
For a busman's holiday shooting portraiture, then the Up Helly Aa in Shetland in January.
Bicycling, the rail trails in the South Island of New Zealand.
The west coast of Scotland and the Outer Hebrides are also pretty cool.

ODL Designs said...

Hey Kirk, have to agree on the cellphone... Where should you go? Somewhere unlike anywhere you have been before. Some of the places I have visited that I would like to go back to would be:
Bali: absolutely beautiful island with nature history and people, all worth exploring with a camera.
Japan: depending on where you visit a broad experience of modern urban and traditional life.
Mumbai: I visited briefly for my sister's wedding and it is a beautiful and rich place to visit with a camera.
Of course one nice thing about traveling to a place that is new and very different culturally is how exciting everything is.

Looking forward to reading your musings on where you are thinking of going.

Paul Kelly said...

Several of the suggestions seem to be landscape focussed, which does not seem to fit your enthusiasms. I would have thought you need people. Can your trip to Iceland give you a clue?

I recall you explaining many years ago how you ran free portraiture sessions in a local cafe, during the recession. You could consider doing doing a sequence of similar half day sessions, available light only, in smaller US towns and moving on every two to three days. This would also leave you plenty of wandering around time. I am not in the US so I cannot suggest locations, but I would have thought the criteria might be less trendy than Austin, and not crazy-political or crazy-religious.

Alternatively, Havana is a wonderful place to wander around for a week.

Craig Yuill said...

Where would I go? My big ongoing photographic interest is birds, so I would probably spend some time at Bosque del Apache in New Mexico, which is a major North American hotspot for migratory and local birds.

Someone earlier suggested Bali. A friend of mine recently travelled to Bali and took many very nice photographs that he generously shared via Instagram. He warned that while the food is generally fine you need to be careful about what liquids you put into yourself. Bali is a major destination for Australians, and many come back to the land down under with what they call "Bali belly", a condition best avoided.

I also often carry a camera and lens while I am on a walk. The problem I have is that I often stop to take photos for too long. A good 1/2 hour walk becomes a two-hour venture - which is okay if time is not an issue, but not so good if time is tight. I would have likely missed that video-production meeting.

Michael Matthews said...

Those photos aren’t blurry. It’s an unfortunate artifact of the blog’s compression format. Click on any — one of the dreaded building shots would be good for comparison — and it will change through to a very detailed image. At least it does on an iPad screen. I was about to comment on how finely detailed they are until the question of blur arose.

Patrick Dodds said...

India would be my suggestion. But no photographing people from behind - walk up to them, start a conversation, ask for a picture, thank them no matter their response, take the photograph if agreed, and move on.
Easily said of course...

sixblockseast said...

Hey Kirk. My native Israel is hard to beat in terms of the diversity of scenery, architecture, and people you can experience in just one week. You can cover a lot in a short time given how small it is. I now live in DC which isn't bad either. Lots of interesting buildings and people. It's really nice here in the fall (late October and early November).

Mark Bridgers said...

Greece. Couple days in Athens, go around the Peloponnese, and take in an island or two. Santorini, maybe Rhodos or Hydra.

James Weekes said...

For me it is Provence. So different from here in Florida with access to the Mediterranean, the Alps, rivers, rolling farmland, Italy and Spain within. But that is for me and we do it twice a year. It enlivens my photography every time.

For you, well....you will decide, but, I would think that someplace different from Austin with lots of people to photograph. You will figure it out.

James Weekes said...

I meant within a two or three hour drive. Doh! Proofread!

Mark Kirkpatrick said...

Hi Kirk -- So happy you're exploring the trail to the east of Congress! I think you'd enjoy an ambit that I've walked and photographed many times: park under the I-35 bridge on the north side, then take the trail in a clockwise direction. The north side of the lake is interesting there, and on the south side you'll have views of the city from the boardwalks all the way back. Have fun--

Richard said...

You need to think through your advice about leaving your cellphone at home — what if you are that person someone needs help from?

MB.Kinsman said...

Kirk,
Go back to Paris or somewhere in Italy, as you have often referred back to photographs you’d taken there back in the early days of your life in photography. Or for something more domestic, pick one of the larger cities in the USA that you can walk with your camera and a few select lenses.

My Midwest said...

Kirk-
Been following you on blog for 6-7 years. Marveled at your travels thru ever so many camera systems and Austin walkabouts. All fun stuff.

Older than you (85) with work time spent teaching college photography,newspaper PJ, exhibiting in gallery's, commercial assignments, running a studio and now retired to do my own work.

Now I can't be in your head and only able to relate what works for me.

New and different can and often is exciting and rewarding. Some folks grow from such experiences. I didn't. Turned out to be the same old - same old. Didn't know or understand the new locations and ended up falling back on old habits.

My solution was simple - for me. What environment do you know and understand?

Except for brief vacations i have been schooled and lived my life in the Midwest. Like to think that I know, understand and most importantly have something to say about it.

A lot of words leading up to this: go somewhere within your knowledge base, get beneath the location surface and produce work that reflects the location reality as you see it.

Two Suggestions:

1. Go to San Antonio. You were raised there. You understand the environment and the people. It would also provide closure to recent events. This would be difficult and a challenge.

2. Go to West Texas. Rural small communities. Pick a few and spend time. Be immersed in their lives. Recall Gene Smith and his Mid-Wife and Doctor Essays. Seek the ordinary and show with words and images their reality. Requires that you step outside yourself, refrain from judgement and record events.

These suggestions are just that suggestions. In the end you do what will work for you.

Good luck,

fotorr



Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

fotorr, really insightful advice. Same advice Annie Leibovitz gives to people who want to be photographers. Shoot what you know. Thanks for the valuable input.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

Notwithstanding fotorrs excellent advice, consider New York. Great food, world class galleries and museums that specialize in photographs, and street photography. If 10 days is to much in the city, go to the finger lakes area. See MJ.

Jay

Fred said...

Kirk,
Lots of good ideas for places to go outside the country, north, south, east, and west. I would add Ireland to the mix. I have become quite fond of it of late. There is however the convenience of going some place that you can drive your cor to. Or you could fly and rent a car. So you might think about some place like New England in the fall. It has people, domestic and public architecture, scenery, and history. Or New Orleans. So I guess I am in favor of everywhere.
Take two X-Pros and two primes and you're on your way.

Ronman said...

Where to go.......... Wow, that's a moving target.
My wife and I have travelled to many parts of the world and to be honest the level of enjoyment is often dictated by where I am spiritually, intellectually or emotionally at the time of the journey. Obviously the destination is relevant, but I think the destination is (or perhaps should be) predicated by what your needs are at the time of your adventure.
For example, I've been yearning to explore old Route 66, but still grappling with the why even before I begin the journey. The highway is certainly part of the journey, but the lure is more than its geography. The unrealized purpose of my desire to retreat into the remote stretches of discarded Americana is still a mystery, but it is the desire driving the pursuit that most fascinates me.
You've been talking about your pending journey for some time, so obviously the need and desire are there. But I think escaping just for a change of scenery and pace is not enough. I'll go out on a limb and say this is probably particularly true of someone such as yourself. I've no doubt you're more aware of this than anyone (other than Belinda, of course).

Tom Barry said...

I think of two places that I have been and probably, at 81, will not get back to: The upper Northeast area beginning at Boston and working up through Maine, and New Mexico.

Unknown said...

IF you want to clear your mind and just be in the moment, go to the strangest place you can think of and immerse yourself in a new culture, food and customs. Cambodia. Upper Volta. Way back in the Amazon. Going back where you've already been won't teach you anything and it's too easy, you won't fully engage your mind on the trip.

Bill Pierce said...

To shoot for 10 days, I'd go to New York City. This would be street shooting plus. While there are obvious tourist attractions and the tourists themselves make for good subjects, just wandering any street in a variety of neighborhoods can produce good pictures. The most interesting pictures will come from the life on the streets (and the subway), not the architecture, although the graffiti has a certain appeal. There's the rub. If you are comfortable and think it's interesting shooting pictures of total strangers and visiting some wonderful galleries and museums, NYC is good. Otherwise, it's overpriced.

Coasting said...

Come and hang out with me on the West Coast of the S.I NZ and spend time exploring true nature and history quite unique and best of all vitually have the place to yourself

Anonymous said...

I recall reading here at one point that you once lived in Istanbul as a child. Go back and see the changes since then. I lived there from around 1973 or 1974 to 1980, when I was 13. And I have been back a few times since. The changes from visit to visit are mind-boggling. You couldn't possibly run out of friendly people and interesting buildings to photograph in 10 days, and if you did, there are plenty of other towns nearby. Turkish Airlines used to fly to Houston - not sure if they still do but if they do, that might be your starting point if you go. Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Ken

Mike Mundy said...

Walking Meditation

Take one step, breathe in. Think to yourself: "f8" then breathe out.
Take another step, breathe in. Think to yourself: "and be there" then breathe out.

Repeat for 10,000 steps as measured on your Fitbit.

Thus will you eventually attain satori.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I'd trade a little satori for a bigger dose of shibumi.

Brian B said...

Kirk, it seems obvious that you should go back to Europe. Somewhere that hearkens to your earlier travels, but not trying to duplicate them. Places with lots of art and beautiful people.

Scott said...

I live in then NYC suburbs, and one could easily spend a couple of weeks getting the measure of the city on foot and via public transportation. But last winter I spent a week walking around Havana, Cuba. Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Go to where you feel real peace. For me NZ is a mental oasis, calm and relaxing. You can take in cities .. most people are reluctant to be photographed unless you chat with them. Or the countryside. I went to the Wairarapa and down the East Coast of the South Island in my last visit (last month), mainly because of the weather. I love west of Nelson and the West Coast of the South Island best. But it can really rain on the wet West Coast .. I have been there when there has been 12 inches of rain in 10 hours. So I usually shuffle between coasts to get better weather if possible (not always). If you did decide to go to NZ get a cheap rental car and plan your first stop.. then play it as you see fit. Pubs have reasonably cheap accommodation and don't mind evening drop-ins, though usually you have to share facilities, hotels and motels are not outrageous.

Good luck with finding a great place to go :)

Marg Wong

Joe said...

The infinity focus is may be an adapter problem. Lensrentals did a blog article about adapter issues some time ago. Perhaps the adapter is just tiny bit too thick, tilted, or not properly seated?

Anonymous said...

Kirk, wait and plan for November and go to Japan both for the spectacular architecture of their cities and for the beauty of the autumn colour in the countryside and mountains. New Zealand, particularly the South Island is spectacular, but Japan has the scenery and the cities. Do enjoy where ever you choose to go.

Paul

Jerry said...

If you're going anywhere, leave the camera at home. You already spend so much time behind the camera, experience the world in first person instead of through a lens. Remember the moment you enjoyed Ben's swim race with no camera in your face?
Also, don't fly anywhere. We're burning down this world so we can travel to new places and have meaningful experiences. Maybe Ben's children would like it if this generation made some sacrifices so they'll have a livable planet.

Bill Stormont said...

If you decide to go with "what you know," that would be making portraits of interesting people. You've said so, many times. So don't waste any of that precious ten+ days on airplanes and long distances—you live in a big state full of those people, so go find them.

When you've decided where to go, tell no one except Belinda and Ben. Remember, the VSL blog is taking a "vacation" while you're gone—it deserves that, too. Upload a scheduled post (a photo of "Gone Fishing,"say) to appear a day or two after you've left, and resist all temptations to "just say hi" before you return. We'll be here.

And . . . don't make any reservations ahead of time. Another reason to stay in-state, but we hobble ourselves by "having" to get somewhere for something important, while leaving true gems in the rearview mirror. This is a chance to say "Why not?" instead of "What if?" A quick turn, and who knows? We did it all the time when we were younger.

I believe you're savvy to all of this, and more—many other posters have offered other good advice—so I'll just wish you the best wherever you venture.

Bill

John F. Opie said...

For your 10 days go to Japan. In many ways Tokyo beats New York for street photography; Kyoto is extremely photogenic; ordinary food is fabulous; the countryside is marvelous and it's not nearly as expensive as people think if you are willing to do it the Japanese way...