10.03.2019

I was tooling around with a Lumix S1 this morning. I wanted to see how it "felt" with a Sigma 45mm lens on the front of it.

Sweaty and hot as Austin continues to set new weather records with temperatures 
nudging 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the first week of October...

I've had a Panasonic Lumix S1 sitting around the studio since the last week of September. It makes really nice photographs but the camera body is really heavy compared to just about every other mirrorless, full frame camera out on the market right now. Maybe not as heavy as something like a Nikon D5 or a Canon 1DX, or even a Nikon 850 but.... heavy enough. I compounded the size and weight issues by adding the  Lumix 24-105mm f4.0 lens to the mix when I acquired the camera, which follows the current full frame lens trend of being... bigger. And heavier. 

After using the camera in tandem with several other brands of cameras I'd pretty much decided that while it's a great "work" camera it might not be my first choice (or even my second choice) as a travel camera. With the zoom lens attached it would make walking around shooting in urban settings more of a burden than a blessing. Not quite as bad as spending the day with a Fuji GFX 100 + lens over one shoulder but close, very close. 

Belinda and I are leaving for Montreal on Saturday to have a little vacation, get ourselves out of the relentless heat, and to avoid the additional 100,000+ people who are coming into Austin for the Austin City Limits Music Festival, which starts this Friday (Good Lord, what is wrong with people that they'll spend hundreds of dollars for a ticket to sit on the hard dirt and open sun in 100+ degree heat, inside a chain link fence, to hear bands play their music over giant speakers in the least acoustically pleasant environment one could think of? And to pay outrageous prices for water and food into the bargain? Just stream the music on your phone and get a decent pair of headphones --- cheaper, more comfortable and better sounding).  Sorry, a person prejudice against large, outdoor concerts...

Back on the subject: 
On trips where I don't have to come home with salable images I actually have more of an issue deciding which cameras and lenses to drag along with me. "It's a vacation." I tell myself, and then I get into an argument with myself over why I need to take along something more than an iPhone. It's crazy to feel like I have to nail every shot, especially when we're mostly just going to do touristy stuff. 

When we first discussed going on a trip I immediately thought I'd be happy taking along a Fuji X-Pro2 and maybe the 23mm f1.4 and the 56mm f1.2. After thinking about it for a while it evolved into the two lenses and an X-H1 (for the image stabilization). Then I went on a little shooting spree with the Pentax K1 and bounced around the idea of the K-1 plus the 28-105 zoom lens. The body has great I.S. and the lens is more than decent. I still like the idea but that shutter is a bit loud and I might really miss the EVF-ism of the other cameras. Then I found myself messing around with the Lumix S1 and got all excited about the (absolutely killer) EVF and the amazing image stabilization and started thinking about taking it and the zoom. But the bulk of the zoom and the body together dissuaded me...

In passing, one of my photographer friends mentioned to me that Sigma (a signatory to the L-mount consortium) was putting out interesting, and quite good, lenses for the L-mount cameras. In particular he suggested I check out the small, light and gorgeously designed 45mm f2.8 L mount lens. It's certainly not the fastest option but it sure is an interesting one.

It's a  near normal focal length lens that's designed to have great character when it comes to the rendering of out-of-focus areas when used wide open and, when stopped down just one stop from wide open, it's supposed to have high sharpness and otherwise desirable imaging characteristics. The lens is built mostly from metal, has its own external aperture ring(!) and comes with a metal lens hood. The current price is $550 and I should mention that it's also available in the Sony E mount.

The lens is designed with eight elements in seven groups and includes two aspherical elements in its design. It's nicely light and compact and dramatically reduces the overall profile of the Lumix camera package.

I need to shoot some more images with the combination of the S1 + the 45mm this afternoon in order to convince myself but the camera and this one lens are my current leading contenders to make it onto the Montreal trip with me and Belinda. I'll stick a 128 GB V90 card in the #2 slot, set the camera to large, fine Jpegs and try to disconnect from being too technically involved.

In other news I'm finding that the Fuji X-H1 is highly competitive with the Lumix camera when it comes to shooting video. A quick test shows me that I'm happier with the Eterna profile in the Fuji than either the Flat or Cine-D profiles in the Lumix. When I get back from Montreal I'll load up the Log functionality in the S1 and do a direct comparison against the Fuji F-Log (that comes free in the X-H1) and we'll see who is really the boss of 4K video.

Currently packing for the trip. The goal is to get everything I'm taking into one smallish, lightweight carry-on. I'm going back and forth about which shoes to take. Hopefully the cameras will get sorted out after a bit more experimentation with the S1+45mm. I may give up entirely and just take my new-ish iPhone....

A final note for today: If the political environment gets any more crazy here, with a full-on dictatorship blossoming as we speak, we may just stay in Montreal and send for Studio Dog. Just sayin. 



28 comments:

Rene said...

Kirk,
A late entry for what to do in Montreal. Visit the Bonsai exhibit at the Montreal Botanical Gardens. They are spectacular, not to mention the rest of the place.

Rene

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Rene, the Botanical Gardens are on my list. KT

Greg Heins said...

After all, it can't hurt to just ask about the citizenship process...

david myers said...

Kirk, i love your reporting and insights. As you say, different cameras for different situations. A camera you have not mentioned is the Fuji GFX R -- somewhat like an Xpro-2, but no optical finder. I love using this camera in combination with the Xpro-2. Often, I set the format in the GFX R to panoramic (65:24). For quicker street/public work, I use the Xpro-2 and when time and situatiion permits, i use the GFX R. Lenses I am using most include the 50/3.5 on the GFX and the 23/1.4 and 50/1.4 on the Xpro-2.

Of course, most modern cameras make wonderful images, it comes down to what works best in your hands and with how you see or want to see the world.

EdB said...

Unsolicited advice but just grab a Fuji 100F and concentrate on the time with your spouse....

Michael Matthews said...

If you take just the iPhone you’ll spend far too much time lamenting the decision. Consider the smallest of the Fujis with minimal but satisfying lens(es). And report back, please, on whether it’s true that Canada is fortifying its southern border.

Robert Roaldi said...

I grew up in Montreal. You've probably received all kinds of advice about what to visit so I won't add to the list much. Just to say that if you're staying downtown (and you should) then you can walk to everywhere you probably want to go, but in case of rain the subway (called Métro) goes everywhere. A nice urban walk that you can do is Sherbrooke Street, from roughly McGill University campus west to Guy Street. It's a beautiful street, wide sidewalks, interesting buildings, art galleries, food. Have a good trip.

Wolfgang Lonien said...

Your thoughts about the perfect travel camera reminded me of someone else whose blog entry about it I read: https://stockografie.de/visiting-new-york-city-and-you-guess-what-camera-i-took/

Or take film like my daughter and I did lately: https://wolfgang.lonien.de/2019/09/me-on-film-august-2019/

Oh, and mentioning Montréal also reminded me of a musical collab from not too long ago: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-169927.php

And yes, I also did the wrong thing and turned on the news. It isn't good for my health to do that - too many people there which I really do not want to see...

Have a good trip, enjoy it, and greet Belinda :)

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Mike Marcus said...

Partly due to your views, I started to dabble with Pany MFTs, first with a used G1 and its still fine kit lens. The more I used it the more I liked MFTs and then stayed, upgrading cameras over time. So, for me, the perfect travel camera has become a GX8 with Pany 14-140 and a grip strap. I also add their 100-300ii for when I am out and about with my wife the ornithologist and the PL25 for lower light needs or just to lighten the hand carrying weight a small bit. The kit packs flat in an Outdoors shoulder bag/fanny pack at the bottom of my carry-on backpack for air travel, with my computer, binoculars, and other travel toys. Depending on our travel destination, my old GX1 with the 14 pancake or a Sony RX100ii typically ride along as backup. At 72 and photographing mostly due to my 60-year habit of doing so, I suspect that kit will maintain this role well into my future. Meanwhile for car travel, my recently acquired G9 and Pany 100-400 adds to this kit (both I find too heavy for air travel). So, I must thank you for helping to get me started down this path.

JohnW said...

Two things to consider Mr.T:

Dictators are at their craziest, most lunatic just before they fall.

At the very worst, Montreal will at least be cooler ... and the natives are friendly.

Dave Jenkins said...

Just take the X-Pros and go, already!

It's your blog and you can write what you want, but I hate it when you interject politics. Photography blogs are places I go when I have my fill of all the political back-and-forth. But since you brought it up, I find it puzzling that a man who could be the poster boy for the benefits of a system that rewards initiative, enterprise, and hard work would not be happy with leadership that promotes those very qualities.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Dave, when it comes to politics, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't want to get into politics but what's going on right now seems so obvious that there isn't much gray space for interpretation. To still think Trump is actually legit is no longer a logical thought it's now become a cultish leap of faith.

Ronman said...

Hey, Kirk.
The problem I've experienced in almost every travel situation is the same challenge realized closer to home - there is never a perfect camera for every situation and encounter. I think the best we can do is to anticipate our needs, activities and, perhaps most importantly, our priorities while traveling. In a perfect world I'd always have a full-frame on-hand, but in reality an APS-C or MFT would be more than adequate for the majority of my journeys. And at times I've enjoyed not having a camera at all (other than my phone), simply being in the moment without feeling a need to 'get the shot'.

D. Jenkins, There have been administrations aplenty promoting the very ideals you speak of, absent the adolescent, retaliatory, authoritarian monarchy of the current regime. I'm not interested in discussing politics on a photography forum either, but if the author/admin of the blog chooses to do so it's his or her prerogative. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I need to criticize or speak on it. I can simply ignore it or not return. Respect the man and his blog. It's his arena, he can say what he chooses.

Coasting said...

How nice would it be to still have the G9 and 12-100 lens for travel the perfect combo and nicely aligned with the S1 for further expansion of the Panasonic system that im sure will grow

Anonymous said...

I like a gx80 (mft) with a 25mm lens for vacation use, have been using a 45mm over the last few months which has been really good for street, easy to capture a scene from the other side of the road or get decent close ups from 6-10 feet away.

Zave Shapiro said...

Right now in Montreal sunrise is around 7am and sunset at 6:30pm. I would put a 16mm on my X-T1 if I was out on the streets. A wide angle and comfortable walking shoes - it's your blog, you can cover what you want.

Andy said...

Went to Italy on one year with Fuji X100S and the 2 converters, can’t say I missed not having anything else with me and used the wide angel converter quite a lot. Still do in fact on my X100F which is my go to walk about camera

DA said...

Jeepers! You are certainly putting a lot of thought into the camera choice for this trip!

My last two trips I had to choose what to take, as well. On the first trip I chose an X-100T and the tele add-on lens to give me a 50mm-e. The benefit was the small size and weight that made carrying it everywhere a breeze. Was it limiting? For me, yes it was and I was constantly thinking I wanted something longer, or wider. Still, it was a good choice and I was challenged to be more creative. And the imaging capability of the camera was great.

After that first trip I started thinking of what could have worked better and wound up buying a used 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens for my Canon SLR. I took the camera and lens combo as my only kit on the second trip. Shooting with it was great. I had all the reach I wanted and had fun with it. Sadly, my example of this lens sucks. I was not happy with most of the results. I might try buying another one, or I might just use my shorter 17-50mm zoom that I did not feel was long enough for that trip.

I would still suggest a compact kit, without too many lenses. The X-Pro2 and a couple of primes sounds good, or maybe one of your MFT Panasonics with the 12-100mm lens. I believe you have, or had, that one. Light on equipment, heavy on enjoyment.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Craig S said...

Kirk,

silly question, but what strap do you have on the S1? Rubber grippers remind me of a domke, but the connections aren't the usual swivel clips.

Also, I've been a big fan of ~40-45mm lenses for a while now, having shot a few fixed lens rangefinders for fun a while back, a Fuji Klasse S (38mm), the m/3 Panasonic 20mm and now, the cheap and (excellent) Canon EF 40mm on my 6D. A 2.8 aperture is just fine on a a big sensor.

I know the 50mm is supposed to be classic, but I just find it a hair too tight for me. And most of the crop options (e.g. 35mm for APS-C)push the FOV towards 52.5 or 55mm equiv. I think you have a similar bugbear with 85mm lenses, preferring a minimum of at least 90mm instead. Funny how small differences matter in our favorite FOV.

Have a safe & enjoyable trip!

Jack said...

Do enjoy (and write about) your trip to Montreal. That's a city my wife and I often talk about visiting. Talk is cheap, though, so we need to go. Post pics to help get us there.

Totally agree with other comments. It's disheartening to watch the ongoing circus show. Especially when the ringmaster turns out to be a bumbling clown.

Cheers
Jack

cj goad said...

I hope you enjoy Montreal. As a Canadian I might remind you that it was one of our Prime Ministers who put the troops and tanks in the street a few years back to halt the unrest in Quebec. Has your present leader done anything close to that yet?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

cj goad, How about caging babies?

sixblockseast said...

For my upcoming trip to Israel, taking my X-T3 and newly arrived 16-80 f4. May decide to add the 35mm f2, but otherwise my kit is set :)

Anonymous said...

Please Kirk,no politics. Of course you can say whatever you like. Your blog has always been the first thing that I read every morning with my coffee.It’s always been a haven from politics. I love your writing and thanks for making me laugh on many occasions. I live in Toronto. Welcome again to Canada and have fun in Montreal.

Edward Richards said...

>Good Lord, what is wrong with people that they'll spend hundreds of dollars for a ticket to sit on the hard dirt...

Don't forget the fire ants.

George said...

Kirk, this is your blog and I think you can express any opinion about politics, weather, or camera models. You don't rant and rave and make up stories, excuses, and outright lies. Please keep it up. "BON VOYAGE"

scott kirkpatrick said...

It's been said several times already, but put all the pieces of your Fuji or K-1 kit or whatever, then put just an XPro2 with the 23/2 beside it, and see what you really want to schlep. I think the X-Pro2 will win.

Hugh said...

"Canada is fortifying its southern border..."

Yep, but the wall only has to be three feet high, because most Americans aren't very fit ;)