10.11.2019

My favorite photography location in Montreal. Of course it would encompass food and (unrecorded) coffee.


There is a food market in Montreal that I found to be very much fun to visit, look at, photograph and play in. We took the Metro to the Jean-Talon stop on Tuesday morning, then walked a few blocks more to find the outdoor market. As the weather was still in the 50's and the day was sunny and nice, there were no winter walls up, no space heaters, no big coats to lug around. The whole market was wide open, breezy and top lit by hard daylight diffused through the white tent tops. As I understand it, the market at Jean-Talon is the biggest (and nicest) open air market in the city. Regular people flock here to buy the freshest produce, specialty foods, and things like maple syrup candies. The place is spotless, welcoming and a wonderful riot of color. 

We got to the market around 9:30 in the morning and started walking slowly through row after row of produce, flowers, and cheeses. I was hesitant at first to just snap away with my camera so I slid into my picture taking slowly to gauge how welcome or unwelcome it would be. In the markets in San Antonio there are even signs at vendor stalls attempting to forbid photography. It was definitely not the case in Montreal, at Jean Talon. I felt welcome everywhere. Especially so if I took the time to greet the vendor and smile. We struck up conversations with a young man who grew up in Calgary and suggested a car trip from Calgary through the mountains to Vancouver (sounds great). Belinda chatted for a while in Spanish with a vendor who moved to Canada from Guatemala about 20 years ago. He gave us hot peppers to take home (coals to Newcastle?). We spoke to a women who came from the south of France to follow her fiancé. They're moving back to France after he gets his degree... We spoke to the shopkeeper who made me one of the finest cappuccinos I've ever had. The conversation was universal; all about how friends change and vanish after they get married and have kids.

Each person we engaged with gave us samples, told us stories and suggested interesting places to see. I should have taken notes so I'd be prepared on our next trip back.

My camera and lens choice of the day was predictable: the only camera I brought was a Pentax K-1 (no back-up!!!!!) and I had a choice of only two lenses. I brought the 28-105mm for the day and it was beyond perfect. I'm just getting a handle on how sharp and snappy that zoom lens is. It's one of the best performing standard zooms I've used. I can see that the camera is making some big corrections for distortion and vignetting but with a 36 megapixel sensor there's a lot of information available to manipulate and I haven't seen a downside to the "computational" correction of the lens's few faults. 

Everything in this post was done with that lens. From close ups to more distant shots, it just flat out works. After spending the two previous days with this particular camera in my hands I find I've gotten used to it much more quickly than I anticipated. Pentax offers some weird controls and weird features but you don't have to use them. You can use the camera in the most straightforward fashion and never get bogged down with menus.

I actually gave up being a control freak for a while and used a mode setting that's marked, "TAV." It's essentially the same as having Auto-ISO in manual mode. You set the aperture you want and the shutter speed you think is best and the camera attempts to change the ISO to provide correct exposures. It's fun and mostly accurate but I often find myself wanting images that are darker than normal so I can mess with them without them breaking down in post production.

So, without further ado, here is my small gallery of initial takes from the Jean-Talon market. 











Belinda achieves mastery of the Canon G15. I tried to get her to 
take along the Fuji X-E3 and the 18-55mm but she says, 

It's too big.

8 comments:

Eric Rose said...

I too love to be on the "dark side" when it comes to initial exposure. I'm glad you came to Canada and had such a wonderful time. We are a pretty relaxed lot except when it comes to hockey and beer. Yes I know I'm just perpetuating a stereotype and it suits us just fine if everyone believes it lol.

Let's see a special "guest" post from Belinda and some of her photos. Like my wife I am sure she has her own very special and quite often a refreshing way of seeing things.

On your IG I noticed someone posted that in Montreal they drink Coors Lite. I find that hard to believe unless there was no bottled water around. Then Coors Lite would be the next closest thing.

Eric

JohnW said...

Now you've gone and done it! You're making me homesick Mr.T.

I'm again delighted you had such a good time in "Mont Real" (comme en Francais). Haven't been there since 89 when I moved my parents out. Makes me want to pack a bag and go get reacquainted.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip report.

Gordon R. Brown said...

Why are some produce vendors in San Antonio attempting to forbid photographs?

Kristian Wannebo said...

Kirk,
ask Belinda if she wants my design of a folding screen loupe for the G15, it makes the camera 2-3mm thicker +the thickness of the loupe (mine is 3+5 =8mm) and also protects the screen when folded back. It unfolds or folds in a couple of seconds.
( With a watchmaker loupe the camera becomes longer instead of thicker.)

[ Mine has one caveat, not having tools to cut thin metal plate, I made it of thick cardboard and duct tape and just taped it to the loupe and the camera - so I need to re-fasten it now and then.]

Raymond Charette said...

Good afternoon Mr Tuck.

Very glad to see you had beautiful visit to le Marché Jean Talon. Your images certainly show it, as does your writing.

cj goad said...

In Canada if you are in the public domain you can photograph anything or person you want. The only exceptions I know of are military installations. If you are on private property you must have permission of the owner. That is part of the ....freedom of expression including freedom of the press and other media of communication. Glad you enjoyed Montreal. One of my ancestors started his business there back in the 1800's. Charles Edward Goad known for his fire insurance maps worldwide. He might have done one for Austin for all I known. Next time you're up here try my old stomping grounds Vancouver.

John Lambert Gordon said...

For the X-E3 put on the Fujifilm XC 15-45mm power zoom instead of the XF 18-55mm. It is a very good lens and that combination will be about the same size as the G15, maybe 100g heavier and substantially better.

Cheers,
John Gordon

Robert Roaldi said...

I went to an elementary school near Jean-Talon market. In those days you could select a live chicken to bring home to slaughter or have it slaughtered for you at the time of purchase. If you visited the Catholic church near there, Our Lady of Defense, went inside and looked up at the dome, you'd have spotted Mussolini on horse back. I'm not making this up.