11.08.2019

A quick glimpse at part of an early rehearsal for "Christmas Carol" at Zach Theatre's rehearsal space.


Rehearsals are fun. And necessary. And photographers and videographers should do more rehearsals in their own work rather than just winging it and hoping everything will fall into place. But having written that I realize that I was just hanging out and waiting for everything to fall into place with the actors and dancers....

Photographed with a Fuji X-T3 and the 56mm f1.2 APD. 

Why the X-T3? Why not an X-H1? Hmmm. Honestly, I was re-evaluating the X-T3 to see if I.S. was really that important to me. If it was critical to the work then my intention was to sell the X-T3 and concentrate on just using the three X-H1's I have for all the shoots that call for the special charm of Fuji cameras and lenses. I was also curious to see if the X-T3 really focused faster/better than the X-H1 when the latter camera is in "boost" mode.

My take? I won't be selling the X-T3. Image stabilization in situations like these takes a back, back seat to freezing subject motion with fast shutter speeds. Once you've closed in to around 1/250th of a second with a medium telephoto like the 56mm you're already in a sweet spot for being able to handhold a camera and lens safely. The times when I.S. helps me are when I'm shooting towards the long end of the 50-140mm Fuji lens at dress rehearsals (because I'm in a fixed position and not able to get closer to the stage = hence the longer focal length). The stabilization helps with camera movement but also with stabilizing the image in the EVF which makes composition more accurate.

As far as focusing goes, I'm generally a one point focus guy using S-AF and to be honest I didn't notice a difference vis-a-vis the X-H1's focusing abilities when in "boost" mode.

So why keep the X-T3? It's smaller and lighter for times when that helps. But the real reason is that it's a delightful video camera with a great range of video features. That, and the fact that the higher resolution EVF is more pleasant to work with for long and involved shoots. Plus, the trade in values mean taking an unnecessary bath.

It's all good here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"also with stabilizing the image in the EVF which makes composition more accurate."

Kirk, this is easily solved with a regular optical finder. I know you like the electronic stuff but some of us just can't deal with them.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hmmmmm. Anonymous, you are not correct. While stabilized lenses on DSLRs can show a stabilized finder image an unstabilized lens on a DSLR without in-body stabilization has no chance. A non-stabilized lens used on a Lumix S1 can be stabilized as can its EVF image.

Neil Swanson said...

Ah glad to see an X-T3/X-H1 comparison of sorts. This is of course because I bought the X-H1 with grip at the silly price. I've added this to my X-Pro2 which honestly I've barely picked up since I got the H. The H view finder crushes the Pro2. I'm loving IBIS. The H seems to focus a bit quicker than the Pro even when not using the extra grip on the H. Without the grip the H is still in my opinion a small camera.

A comment on the feeling you have that the 3 and the H seem to focus at pretty much the same speeds, try a different lens. I'm just thinking that as good as the 56mm is optically it cannot show off the potential of the processor of the 3 vs the H. Both camera AF systems may be pushing the AF motors of the 56mm lens to its max where as a lens with better motors may really rip with the 3. The 3 should be quicker right? Use one of the "crons" or the 90mm. I think maybe that is where you'll see a greater difference.

Rehearsals are an ideal place to sort this stuff out for sure.

Cliff LeSergent said...

You wrote: "the higher resolution EVF is more pleasant to work with for long and involved shoots" as a reason to keep the X-T3, but isn't the EVF in the X-H1 exactly the same resolution and magnification?

dinksdad said...

I have both cameras. The fact that the X-T3 is smaller and has a dial for ISO makes it a much more pleasant camera to use.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Images West, I should have been more clear. I was thinking of why I had somewhat soured on the X-Pro2. It's the EVF. In that regard the X-T3 is much better. And you are correct; the X-T3 and the X-H1 finders are the same.

Neil Swanson said...

Yup the X-Pro2 is a fine camera but once you try another EVF makes you wish it were larger and better. The 2 was my first ever EVF camera. I had no yardstick unlike many here. It is what it is and since it has the OVF (turns out seldom used) I was fine with it.
Then I looked through a Nikon Z7 at a store and was wowed and being a Nikon shooter I should want one. On the fence about a Z. You can't get away from huge lenses.
The X-H1 is just wonderful. It's my first large EVF, first IBIS and first ever tilting display. I shot 150+ images yesterday with the H and maybe 6 times I chimped. Coming from a DSLR, several over 14 years?, where I've never had the camera set to display the exposure immediately it all seems normal to me. I'm not a chimper.
So maybe an X-Pro3 is in the cards. I don't care about the rear display calamity and the finder is even better than the X-T3 and the X-H1. The screen tilts and the AF should be da'bomb.

I do find I am thoroughly enjoying the mirrorless world.

Kirk with all your EVF experience