4.24.2020

Staying in decent shape so we'll be able to haul cameras around again in the hot Summer. If and when the economy re-opens in Texas.


Recent studies show that sustained, aerobic exercise is the only sort of exercise that restores telomere integrity which is associated with retarding aging. Great! So we just hop in the pool and knock out some yardage, right? Well, tragically, all the pools and public swimming areas in Texas are closed down, so no swimming. I guess you could hop in one of the recreational lakes but do you really want to take your chances with drunk Texans and speedboats?

So we've been running. Which works for those crumbly telomeres but isn't nearly as much fun for me as a good swim. 

I've got two routes figured out at the Butler Hike and Bike Trail here in central Austin. One is a three mile loop and the other is a 4.9 mile loop. This morning I was up and on the trail doing the three mile loop by 7:15. I'm  happy to report that I encountered about 15 serious runners and a couple of walkers over the entire 38 minutes I was on the trail. Additionally, we were almost a satire of safe practices. Runners hung close to the right side of the trail leaving ample passing space on the left hand side. People passing called out crisply: "On your left!" as they sped by. That helps with overall situation awareness and prompts people who have a tendency to drift left to course correct.

But with all this running and no swimming I am worried about maintaining strength and muscle mass in my upper body. There are some easy ways to exercise the bigger muscles with my two favorites being planking and push-ups, but lately I've noticed that no matter how much broccoli I eat my biceps are not getting enough workout to maintain good form so I added some weight training. I don't use heavy weights because I don't want to over build mass; I use lighter weights with much higher repititions to gain strength without adding too much bulk that could impede swim function when my access to the pool returns. Big, tight muscles create their own resistance and make swimming more difficult...

The weights I've been using for bicep and tricep "curls" are 10 pounders and I do 50 reps per arm in  the morning, after the run, and then another 50 at the end of the work day. Same with the triceps curls. It's not my favorite way to train but it sure helps keep the weight down and the muscle mass up. Plus, they are cheap and easy to use and you can train with them just about anywhere. 

Finally, with a few velcro straps they make for good light stand stabilizers. Not as handy as a sandbag but almost. 

I'm upping the aerobic stuff to seven days a week, alternating the 3 mile loop and the 4.9 mile loop from day to day. If you are a good walker and want to take a stab at running you might try doing it in stages. Start with a slow run until you are out of breath and need a break. Walk briskly while taking ten deep breaths and then run again until you need to slow down. Repeat this for a week or two and by the end you should be able to run longer continuous distances. I like interval training because I'm inherently lazy and like little breaks. A walk/run three mile loop is a perfect starter distance. Once you can go the full distance without a walking break you can move on to running a bit faster each day. Or you can just enjoy the same run at a comfortable speed. 

Being fat/overweight/obese seems to be a prime indicator for who will die early so you might think of a good running regimen as an investment in staying alive....

A quick note about the Leica 90mm Elmarit I've been playing with. I'm a sucker for test photos that show the full frame and then show a 100% crop. But I'm sloppy about getting an exact crop. Whatever. Here is a quick, early test shot of the armrest of an office chair along with the mandatory crop in. This was shot handheld, wide open at 1/15th of a second using an S1R with its very good image stabilization. I don't know if you can derive anything from the images but I'm convinced the lens is really good. But then, most are. 



A public service announcement: 

I called my doctor today and asked if I should inject or ingest bleach or 
other disinfectants to prevent disease. He contradicted our president and told me that 
this was not a good course of action. That I should under no circumstances
ingest, inhale or inject bleach or any other disinfectant.

I was amazed to hear that doing so would cause permanent damage 
and quite possibly (probably) death. 

Since my doctor is smart, rarely ever wrong, is board certified 
and graduated from medical school I decided to believe him instead 
of listening to advice from the president, whose expertise is in selling
real estate.

If you like the blog I implore you not to use the bleach or disinfectant for anything other 
than cleaning surfaces or getting skid marks out of your tidy whities. 

I need to keep all the readers I have. 

Thanks. 

13 comments:

Nichtsdestoweniger said...

Another tip, not health-related. Don't get hydrogen peroxide on device touchscreens - I read somewhere that it ruins them. Oops.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Good to know. Thanks! When my phone gets dirty I soak it in vodka overnight. Not sure if that's why the batteries die so quickly...

TMJ said...

"Don't get hydrogen peroxide on device touchscreens"

Probably discovered by someone bleaching their hair whilst watching a YouTube video on their iPhone, when suddenly the screen went dark, but when they refreshed it......

Rene said...

Kirk,

You are such a good writer that I'm hesitant to correct you, but shouldn't the headline be "If and When... "rather than "When and If.." as the when is dependent on the if? It's just one of those things that rankles on reading...

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Good Catch! Now fixed. Thanks!

Robert Hudyma said...

Bleach has a dual action. It is excellent at killing the CoronaVirus (and other pathogens too). If you ingest it, it will kill you too.

Read the label on the package!

Washing your hands with hot soapy water will kill the virus and not kill you, a much better outcome.

Unknown said...

Its ok if this is not published but I'm waiting for the first news story of the trumper who decided on a lysol cocktail. Trump ought to experiment on himself first before deciding to spew in public.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

As a result of the president's suggestion/inquiry some of my more liberal friends are starting to refer to bleach as a, "Red State Cocktail." Another friend sent me a cleverly Photoshopped image of a bottle containing, "Chlorox Chewables." Nice to see that people haven't completely lost their sense of humor...

Richard Leacock said...

Also, as per the presidents "good ideas" where does the UV light/lights have to be physically inserted?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Good question. That was not made particularly clear during the press briefing. We'll have to go back and review the "tape."

Alan Fairley said...

Kirk, just want to say that at your age, for you to add significant muscle mass through lifting heavy weights would require seriously grueling workouts and lots of them. I encourage you to keep the weights going when you return to swimming to slow the inevitable loss of muscle mass that occurs with aging, but get a good exercise physiologist to set you up with an efficient routine. Personally I think lots of reps with light weights, while better than nothing, are a waste of time. But either way, keep lifting!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Alan, I would agree with you if my goal was to increase muscle mass but my goal is to replace the lost resistance training we did using hand paddles and long sets in the pool. Building too much upper body muscle mass hampers flexibility for swimming so it's always a trade off. My exercise physiologist friends (I swim with several) tell me that my push up and planking regimens have the same effect for larger pectoral muscles as lifting heavier weights. My 10 pound weights are focused on maintaining muscle mass and tone in the biceps and triceps. And, the large repititions are better profiled for long distance swimming.

But I will keep lifting. I think it's great advice.

I hate the aging process but I'm doing my best to keep those telomeres in shape.... Something diet doesn't touch.

George said...

Kirk, thanks for the advice, but I wish you had told me EARLIER ! Too late now, I tried POTUS' idea and swallowed (he seems to be such a "wise guy"), bye bye all, George