7.10.2020

If the specs and the reality match the hype and initial reviews then....It's Canon for the win.

Photograph NOT taken with a Canon R6.

I watched with great interest as Canon rolled out their first two "real" "authentic" "desirable" mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras this week. And I have to say, right off the bat, that I am very impressed. Canon basically followed the time tested Apple strategy of letting all the other players in the market experiment and roll out iterations of haphazardly engineered cameras to see what kinds of tech resonated with customers and what stuff was irrelevant. Now they are marching into the market fully equipped to lay waste to Nikon and to scare the crap out of the Sony camera division.

Yesterday Canon announced the details of two new mirrorless cameras; the R6 and the R5. These are the new face of Canon's mirror-free offerings for advanced amateurs and professionals, and the list of features, and the plethora of technical advances, will make these two cameras lightning rods for people who are looking to upgrade from Canon (and Nikon, etc.) DSLRs and into the mirrorless space.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't see this level of product introduction coming. But I am impressed. Were I to come to the camera market bereft of inventory but amply funded I think I'd be pre-ordering every RF lens (the good ones) in sight as well as pre-ordering one of each camera body.

Lots of people seem interested in the R5 which is the more advanced and exotically featured of the two cameras. It boasts a newly designed and Canon produced 45 megapixel sensor, an amazing laundry list of industry leading video capabilities (including 8K raw video), has best in class in body image stabilization and focuses with the intensity of an alien tractor beam from a Star Trek episode. Get this:
Animal eye focus that can focus on a bird's eye......while in flight. The R5 is the camera that might appeal most to video production companies that want the highest level of video capability they can get their hands on without cresting the $5,000 price barrier. And it will be the Canon camera of choice for studio photographers and landscape enthusiasts but I conjecture that it's the R6 that will lead the way for Canon and become as popular as the Canon 5Dx series was for Canon in the traditional DSLR segment. And here's why:

It's got nearly everything 95% of photographers want and need and it's nearly half the price of its catalog mate.

So, let's concentrate on the R6 for a bit as that's the camera I'd be in the market for if I was looking to upgrade or change systems in the next few months.

The R6 uses the same 20 megapixel, full frame sensor as their super/flagship/Sports/heavyweight 1DXmk3 camera. It's a well regarded sensor that's got great high ISO performance, fast readout and good dynamic range. The camera is one of three full frame cameras right now that can provide 60p full frame 4K video, and can do so at 10 bits. Canon has also stepped up and offered the HEIF format as an option in addition to Jpeg. The HEIF files can be compressed to be smaller than 8 bit Jpegs but are capable of 10 bit color capture. This should deliver much richer and more refined color capability for former Jpeg shooters and is on track to be the new non-RAW file standard going forward.

One of the things that will get a lot of press in the next few months as film makers and photographers work with the R6 will be the in body image stabilization provided by the new Canon cameras. When coupled with certain Canon lenses that are also stabilized the system is supposed to provide up to 8.5 stops of stabilization. If it works as intended then, to my mind, Canon will have rendered most of the market for gimbals and stabilizers redundant and obsolete. Why spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for heavy add-on gadgets if the camera and lens already in your bag can offer identical or better performance?

8.5 stops of stabilization will be game changing for film makers. For photographers it's probably the difference between having to carry a tripod around for certain kinds of shots and just leaving the three legged anchors at home.

While they took their sweet time getting to this point Canon seems to have stacked the deck just right. They have color reproduction that most people find pleasing and which Canon fans find irreplaceable.
They have effectively gone toe-to-toe with Panasonic for video supremacy (Sorry Sony, great specs but crappy actual files) while trumping the D-F-D AF with dual pixel AF that locks in like velcro. They've just replaced the older EOS lens mount with a much bigger and more all embracing lens mount and have effectively built the camera everyone's been waiting for --- even down to the swiveling rear screen for the legion of V-loggers who've been howling for that feature with each new camera introduction.

I've looked over the camera specs and read many of the better "hands on, first impression reviews" (Gordon at Cameralabs seems to do the best job on this release) and the only glitch I can find, the only thing I'd change, is the HDMI connector. It's a micro-HDMI. Should be at least a mini. But since the camera writes really great 4K video files to internal SD cards (yes, there are two UHS-2 slots) perhaps the rationalization was that few people would need to splash out for external digital recorders so why bother?

The logical entry into this system is not the R5 but is the R6. I'd bundle the camera body with the higher quality RF 24-105mm f4.0 lens and in one stroke have both a highly functional photography machine and very capable 4K video camera. All for an outlay of around $3500. Spend another couple hundred $$$ on a stash of new Canon batteries and you'd be ready to handle so many different kinds of work. There's an allure here that's going to be especially powerful to people who are currently using Canon's older APS-C and traditional DSLR users.

Canon has pulled out a big spotlight to show the path forward for both Nikon and Sony. Nikon needs to get their dual card slot stuff in gear, jazz up their AF, size their bodies correctly and ramp up their video offerings by installing faster processing. Sony....well....they've got a lot of work ahead of them just in haptics and handling. Then they can work on getting 10 bit 4:2:2, 4K video files in their cameras. Even if they could just offer it in one.... And then work on the weather sealing. Oh, and the ruggedness and reliability of their offerings. And while we're at it maybe they could field just one camera that doesn't overheat when used in 4K in Texas between April and October.

So, in an honest appraisal, if I compare Canon and Panasonic's S1 series side by side would I still opt for the Panasonics? While the S1s might be more rugged, and their expensive lenses a bit better, if I were standing in front of the counter at the camera store having just lost all of my gear in a tragic, flaming meteor strike, I'd probably come down on the side of the Canons. With their overwhelming market share of serious cameras I would know that they'll more quickly roll out more lenses that cover more needs more often. I'd know that the cameras and accessories would be more widely available. There would be no difference in overall cost of ownership. And, who doesn't want 8.5 stops of image stabilization? Handheld camera for short movies, here we come.

Am I rushing to pre-order? Not this year. I've at least got the S1s figured out for the time being. All the lenses I have for the system are great. The results are fantastic. But I have to admit, Canon just impressed the hell out of me for the first time in a while. I'm paying attention and I'm betting photographers AND film makers all over the world are watching closely.

The one thing I remember from owning a Canon 5Dmk2, a 7D and a couple of different 1D variants is just how perfect they felt in my hands. That's the part that some of their competitors miss. And it's almost as important as the imaging capabilities.

But in a year with NO business spending money on a gigantic system overhaul makes about as much sense as lighting $100 bills on fire to get your BBQ charcoal lit. As to the R5? I'll start to think about that around the first time a client even mentions 8K video.....  And I think that will be a while...

Just thought we'd talk new cameras this morning. Now I'm out making sure all the trees get deep watered today; we're supposed to have a week long heat wave. Water+Trees = Good.

My final advice: Keep your eyes on the R6. Read the reviews. When that big multi-media assignment hits your calendar pounce like a house cat on a dropped piece of tuna. And get to work.

Added after consultation with a video savant: Seems there are a number of reports already of the R5 overheating while filming in 4K and beyond. Seems that Panasonic still holds the pole position for video without overheating. Too bad. I had high hopes for the Canons...  KT

20 comments:

Jerry said...

I've never owned a Canon. Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, and Fuji are my purchases in the last 15 years (still have them all). I will say that Canon has my attention. I'm going to wait until you purchase one (I mean two), Kirk, and take it through it's paces before I make a decision.

Unknown said...


Kt,
Nice machines. As you noted if a piece of space junk fell and destroyed all my cameras and lenses, etc these cameras would surely be considered. At least so far as specs go the proof will be in the files.
Seems the latest spec for mfg's to crow about is IS. Which mfg will spec a camera which levitates negating even holding the camera!
Happy shopping
Jb

David said...

Kirk,
I too was very interested in the Canon R6 announcement. But then stopped to think for a second and looked at the lenses released with the Canon.
I see the Panasonic G9 better in every way. Cheaper, lighter, more pixels per mm as both are 20Mpixel sensors. The Olympus 50-200mm is faster, cheaper, lighter and might even be sharper than the Canon 100-500mm. Yes may not have as much reach but that SSW four thirds lens is amazing, I own it and will never sell it.
Then there are the 600mm and 800mm lenses. Why? Get a micro four thirds camera, the lenses are smaller and let in more light than this Canon system. Only thing going for them is cost as under $1000. But Olympus might release their copy of the Sigma 100-400mm f5/6.3 which will be better, lighter and same cost.

This too me is a huge advertisement for Panasonic or Olympus. Either one should jump in quickly to show how expensive and huge and slow the Canon would be compared to a m43rds camera.

I just feel sad for M43rds with this Canon release as the alternative is huge and expensive if it does die out.

Eric Rose said...

My wife still has a full compliment of L Series glass for her 5DMkII. Never uses it anymore, but it's still there.... Ummmm On the other hand I sold my FF stuff because it was to big and heavy for the travel and the work we had planned.

Darn you Kirk Tuck!! Just joking. Thanks for doing the deep dive for me on the new offerings.

Eric

TMJ said...

As I said on Mike's site, Canon UK have very kindly been lending me some cameras and lenses for the last few weeks, for free and with free courier delivery.

Last weekend I had the RP, the 15-35 F2.8 and the "R' adapter. I was very impressed how good my EF lenses were on the adapter and RP, from 16mm to 400mm prime telephotos, plus my TSE lenses worked fine too.

The R5 is the one for me.

Jeff said...

Looks like great cameras if they actually work as advertised (always a big if with camera marketing). This might be great for pros, film makers, and the very well heeled crowd.
But as a long time hobbyist who rarely makes a print anymore, and then never bigger than 8x10, buying into this system is a whole pile of money for a bunch of new capabilities that I have zero need for. I agree that it makes m4/3 look pretty good. Too bad Olympus is bailing out.
I will certainly be watching to see if used prices drop on all the perfectly good equipment that people might be selling in order to trade up.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Eric, My take on the whole market right now is that there's tons of great stuff to be had but unless you have a miracle client that keeps you working five days a week we're all pretty much set with what we have. This article is more like a Honda or Subaru owner visiting the Porsche dealership to kick the tires and sit in the driver's seat ogling the instrumentation. Then coming to the realization that his Accord, Civic, Forester, Outback, Corolla, etc. are much, much more practical. And at a far lower price.

Best all around camera on the market today? When factoring video, photography, lenses, price to purchase, size, design and handling it's got to be the Panasonic G9. But since that makes more sense than anything else it does take the fun out of shopping.

No wonder we're always checking in with the competitors. No wonder we always return...

Anonymous said...

I am pretty excited about the new Canon cameras, and even more excited by the Canon RF lens lineup. If there is any personal upside to the pandemic it’s than my spending has ground to a halt. My only purchases have been necessary household items and food deliveries (and tips) so I will have the funds next year to go all in with Canon. And, just maybe, we will see the medical advances and new leadership we need to end the pandemic by then. It would be nice.

Michael Matthews said...

The R6 looked pretty impressive until I realized how many of the celebrated new features have been available in M4/3 for years. If the much larger sensor size does translate into something meaningful....bigger pixels yielding better images...it might be a bit of self-indulgence if I hit the lottery. Otherwise, probably not.

Anonymous said...

Can focus on the eye of a bird in flight. But - can it keep focus as the bird keeps flying? That has been a major problem with Canon Follow focus for a long time now. A big reason many bird shooters switched to Nikon and Sony.
As for me - if this comes in a DSLR I would be interested. Can't live with the electronic finders.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Anonymous, Sad to hear you can't live with electronic finders. Might self select out of the camera market altogether in a couple of years. Adaptation? Survival of species? Just what is it about EVFs that you can't abide?

typingtalker said...

Kirk: " ... splash out ... "

Excellent.

A few years ago a friend exchanged his Canon 5D mk-something and lenses for then-new Sony mirrorless equivalents because "I just can't carry all that heavy Canon stuff around any more." And the image quality was certainly there.

Assuming one has the cash, exchanging a bag of Canon 5d kit for a much lighter, more compact and higher performance R5 kit seems like a good move. Some would say a no-brainer.

Mark the tog said...

As a working pro, in theory I could rationalize the purchase of both the R5 and R6. But as I read about the specs in the long COVID induced hiatus from work, I realized that the little work I had remaining was ably satisfied with my existing Canon gear.

What has further hardened my resolve is the fact that with the upending of the work landscape and the fact that I have never really been interested in doing video is that I plan to close my business later this year.

The idea of trading in every bit of my current gear and replacing it with new bodies and lenses means an investment that will likely be unrecoverable. Add to that the clients won't be noticing the change in IQ (because there won't be any).

I am about your age with a similar career and I am in the place of not needing to work anymore. I enjoy taking pictures on my own time and without the pressure of a schedule or budget.
I see the Panasonic G9 as the solution for what I want.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Mark, I feel exactly the same way. I have lots of personal projects I'd like to do but none of them depend on bleeding edge gear. The stuff I have is equipment I only dreamed about having ten years ago. I think I'll nurse it along for a good while. Clients are largely nonexistent at the time. If you are a local photographer doing work in Texas you are probably putting yourself at risk. And very few of the clients are making photography budgets a top priority... 😮

If you feel comfortable closing the business then you win.

Dave Jenkins said...

I used Canons for 23 years and always like the system. However, in 2017 I made the move to Fuji for reasons of size and weight with little or no loss of image quality and I'm not coming back. The Fuji X-H1 does everything I need to do or am ever likely to do.

Eric Rose said...

Kirk I was joking lol. My GH5 will do everything I need and probably more. I am sure it will still be kicking even after I'm not. I have absolutely no need for anything better. In all honesty I think probably 90% of still and video production done these days in none "Hollywood" environments could be well handled by the GH5. The latest and greatest iteration of the G9 looks really nice but it's not worth it to me to change.

I love "walking with you" on your photo adventures. Now that I have seen a lot of these places myself it is even more enjoyable.

Eric

Anonymous said...

I think cameras have got like laptops. Sufficiency, unless you have very niche needs, was reached long ago.

An alternative view of Canon's timing is that they have launched their 'perfect' products at the time of least demand. In 6/12/18 months time when people start seriously coming out, blinking into the daylight their competitors will have launched their responses (which are presumably already in development) and they won't look particularly special anymore.

I think the make or break for many systems will be how magic the lenses are.

That 20mm Lumix has me locked into m43 for the foreseeable (using it for a long term ongoing project, for which it is perfect).

I haven't been able to get excited about the spec wars for 5 years now. Can't see that changing.

Mark

Bob said...

I find it hard to get excited about this release. I keep looking for a lighter, simpler stills machine and lenses, something more than my iPhone but less than this or other mondo offerings from canikonony. I have a Z50 that is sufficient but not soulful. Maybe an X-Pro?

Dave Jenkins said...

X-Pros do have soul.

Jason Hindle said...

My response to this is the same as my response to Nikon Z/original Canon R, and Panasonic L: Each time, I thought “Sure, if I was starting our from scratch, or if money was no object, this would be it. None had me crying into my beer. I can’t justify an about face. For much of my photography, a new Canon R6 wouldn’t make a difference. If I do decide I want a hi res body, Sony A7R IIs are very reasonable at the moment. And Micro Four Thirds serves nicely for smaller, lighter kit.

I do sometimes wonder if would have been better, at the start, to go with Canon or Nikon. Then I look at the community of eccentric and talented users I’ve learned from since. Go Outlier!