2.04.2021

Crazy Weather in Austin. But nice for swimming and photography.

 

Jennifer. Triathlete. 
On the Barton Springs Greenbelt.
Camera: Mamiya 6.
Mamiya 150mm 

When I woke up this morning I knew it was going to be a goofy day. I always take a peek at my Apple Watch before I roll out of bed and I was a bit surprised to see that our projected high temperature this afternoon was going to settle in around 80° (f). The morning started out cloudy but the clouds broke near the end of swim practice. I swam with my favorite lane mate today. He's younger (but only by 15 years) and four inches taller than me and he set a pace I'm still recovering from. We plowed through 3300 yards and then at the end (peer pressure) he decided we had enough time to do four or five "shooters." 

What are shooters? At our pool it means you breathe in as much oxygen as you can and then swim underwater the whole way to the other end of the pool. Then you pop up, get a breath and swim leisurely back to the other end. The first one isn't that rough but we tend to do them on a one minute interval per two lengths and by the fourth one of the set it gets a little hairy. It seems like no big deal to hold one's breath for twenty to twenty-five seconds, and it is pretty easy at the beginning of the workout, but after a couple fast miles it ends up being a lot more challenging. I cheated on the last one and came up for a breathe at the backstroke flags. That's at least 15 feet from the end.... I'll try harder next time. 

Next stop was a visit to my favorite camera store. It was my second trip this week. The first time I hauled up a ton of lighting equipment and traded most of it in for store credit. Now the lighting gear shelves at my office are look a lot less overwhelming and chaotic than before. Everything the store didn't want was donated because....if the store doesn't want it then why try to squeeze a rock?

Today's trip was for a specific purpose. I always wanted a Leica SL2 camera. A squeaky clean, new one.  When I finished swimming this morning I had a moment of quasi-clarity in which I decided that this was a small thing that would bring me no small amount of pleasure. I did my research between the SL2-S and the original SL2 and decided in favor of the higher resolution model; the original. The shocker came when I asked to buy a couple extra batteries. I'd read that the camera can, depending on how you use it, be pretty power hungry. I'm still reeling from having to pay $275 each for fairly small, but Leica branded batteries. I wish they were interchangeable with my Panasonic S series batteries but that would be too easy. 

I don't have much to report about the camera today since it's brand new and just out of its box. I need to wait for the first battery to charge and when it does I'll take it out for a "breaking in" stroll and we'll get to the bottom of this "Leica Mystique." Fact or fiction? We'll see. 

Funny thing, though... I'm planning on doing its maiden voyage with the little Sigma 45mm f2.8 L-mount lens on the front. Probably not the most logical approach but consider the source. 

As almost every reviewer has said, "The camera body itself is a beautiful work of art."

Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Ever since it hit the market.

More follow.  

16 comments:

Chris DC said...

Kirk:

I will contentedly and vicariously enjoy the SL-2 through your eyes. A "work of art" being used to make "art". I cannot wait to see the results.

Enjoy!

CDC

crsantin said...

I could see this one coming from about 100 miles out. LOL! Congrats on the new Leica. I'm not going to lie, I've been wanting a Leica camera for a long time now but I just can't justify the cost. A bunch of years back the beautiful M3 was going for just under 1k and I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up. They are 3 times that price now. Even the ancient M8 has some luscious looking files. I look forward to your first report.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks CR and Chris, I've owned older film Leicas but this is my first foray into Digital Leicas. I reviewed an M8 loaner from Leica many years ago and didn't particularly like it. I just set this one up and went through the menu. I'm heading out the door for my first foray. I'll report back soon. KT

David said...

I tried the M10 and just couldn’t bond with it. I gave in and purchased the SL2. I love the feel of it and the simplicity of the menus. I couldn’t be happier.

Rich said...

ha ha ha
ENJOY!

Joel Bartlett said...

I had one of the early M8s in 2007 and loved it for years. One of the things I was always entertained by was people complaining about how expensive the batteries were. Yes, they were more than they could be, but why were you risking your 5-7K camera with a cheap, off brand battery? They didn't burst into flames, but they would swell and people had a hell of a time getting them out of the camera. Stick with the real thing.

Gary said...

Kirk, that was a quick pivot from wanting to offload gear to onloading some expensive gear. As everyone says the advantage of Lieca (if any!)is in the glass, you'll have to buy some super-expensive Leica lenses. Anyhow,let us know how it goes.

Andrew Lamb said...

Enjoy your new camera. Whatever gets you through the night.

I feel compelled to sing the praises of the Leicaflex SL which can be bought, with a lens, for the price of a new SL battery. It's simple, has a glorious viewfinder, and feels like it's made from girders.

The SL is my current carry around. It dates back to 1968 and works like a charm.

Stan said...

Sorry to hear about your 80° high temperatures. We're heading for a week of daytime highs below zero. But that hasn't stopped our local group of morning swimmers:
https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-group-gets-a-chilly-thrill-with-daily-dips-in-lake-harriet/600018617/

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Gary, Three camera bodies donated or traded, seven lenses followed them. One new camera arrived. I'd say we're at least making some progress.

Anonymous said...

I note with interest that the Leica SL2 is almost exactly the same price, dimensions, and weight as the Fuji GFX 100s. Of the two, I think I would go for the Fuji if I was planning to go on a purchase expedition. I am sure that you will enjoy your excursion into Leica land. My most used digital cameras are a Leica M 240 and M Monochrom 246, but I also have a Leica CL which is very small and compact. BTW, the battery for the Leica CL is about $100, but I found generic Watson batteries that only cost about $25 are just as good. (In fact, I would take a wager that they came off the same production line.) There is unfortunately a "Leica tax" that we need to just get used to.
Peter Wright

Unknown said...

Enjoy your new Leica - afterall, with your recent clearances what else were you going to do with all that store credit that you had built up? ;)

Andrea Bellelli said...

When Leica issued the M6 (or was it the R4), which if I remember correctly had a small battery for the light meter under a screw-in lid that you unscrewed with a 10 cents coin, somebody said that Leica would also produce a 10 cents coin as an accessory and sell it for 100 bucks.

TMJ said...

You are paying a lot for the Leica BP-SCL4 Battery. In the UK, you can buy a new one from a Leica dealer for £120, all taxes paid and are in stock.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Ouch. For me, not you. I guess I'll have to break quarantine, book a first class flight to the UK, get a hotel, find a dealer and save some bucks. :-)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

...because once you pay the import tax you're right back to the higher price...