2.03.2021

Thanks to all who responded about the intricacies and strategies of moving gear onward from my ownership to someplace else.

 


While it's always fun to move stuff around when you get right down to it what you are looking at is just another work process. Pulling stuff out of inventory, assessing the value, keeping paperwork for tax purposes and then some standing around while others apply their idea of value to the same equipment. If one doesn't really need the cash there's no smart reason for a quick explosion of action. 

I made one stupid mistake last night. I was thinking of selling off some MFT gear but I picked up the Panasonic G9 and the 25mm Summilux to go out for an evening walk. It seemed like no matter what I pointed the camera at the images on the screen were great. And I realized that I had finally gotten the black and white settings on the camera just right (for my taste). Had I just closed my eyes for a moment and picked a different camera for the evening...

While, on paper, there are so many reasons to think that the smaller formats don't hold a candle to the larger formats some emotion intrudes when you use them that lets you know that the overall difference between most formats is small enough to ignore. Especially when it turns out that they are so much fun to use. At least I was able to get rid of a bunch of lights and modifiers today. It's a start.


Panasonic G9 + 25mm Summilux
ISO 3200
Handheld through a window.


17 comments:

MikeR said...

Shoot! I was thinking of asking you how much you wanted for that G9.

Michael Matthews said...

Drat.

Anonymous said...

You'd re-buy the m43 stuff.

You enjoy using it and playing with that kit. That shows in the images.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Thanks for starting the process. I've sold all of my digital to MPC. Without you I'd have never known they existed. They also cover the shipping costs, +1.

Just another AssHat.

Anonymous said...

Since nobody else will ask, what are your settings for black and white with the g9?

Jay

Ronman said...

When the transaction is about ridding oneself of extra gear and not gathering funds for other purchase, the process gets a little more complicated. Then again, if you have no answer when asking yourself "why am I selling", I suppose the answer becomes much easier.

Ronman said...

BTW, if you do decide to let go of the G9, I'd suggest trying out an S5 with your Sigma 45 f2.8 attached (or your 65mm!)
As a walk around kit the fun factor is way up there.

Eric Rose said...

I'd be interested in the G9 B&W settings too.

PittsburghDog said...

I'm very surprised at your getting rid of the G9 and GH5s given how well they performed for you with the outside video work you did last fall. The extra depth of field and run-forever without overheating worries would seem to fit your style/work and require less fiddle and cause fewer headaches than most cameras.
But if you are selling them good luck. That G9 + 12-60 is a tempting do-most-anything combo.

Rich said...

ha ha ha
Maybe I should keep my G9
But i definitely should thin out the m4/3 lenses
Like clothes, if you haven't used an item for a year - it should go
No?

DGM said...

I understand the whip-lash. Been there myself often. :)

Just don't make the mistake of shooting a GFX100s in similar setups. A seductive temptress of image tonality.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

HI Jay,

Black and white settings on the G9? L. Monochrome profile. Sharpness -1. Contrast +2. Noise reduction -2 or 3. Filter = Y. toning +1 warm. WB=daylight. ISO 800-3200. Generally need to tweak clarity in post.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

Thank you. Similar to mine. Bump the contrast +3 then soften the shadows and highlights by 2. Always like to ask the experts.

Jay

Andrzej Rojek said...

I'm happy you'll most likely stick to m43. I really enjoy your writing about affordable cameras. I appreciate fancy FF or MF cameras but they are not that much my cup of tea. Not that buying one would do terrible dent to my financial well being but I would simply have hard time to rationalize that (I find less than top-of-the-line APS-C cameras just good enough for me).

A Photog said...

How many pictures of Kirk can Kirk make of himself? Somewhat endless on this site. Like the site but geeesh!

Anonymous said...

When you are that good looking it's like a service to humanity!!! You should be so lucky.

Anonymous said...

A Photog, Kirk should have been a male model. He would have been an asset to Zoolander. I can't imagine you want to see less. We all want to see him more often. And that hair!!!

-Hansel