2.08.2021

Do you photograph with a mirrorless camera? If yes, you might want to find a good, film era, 135mm lens and an adapter. They seem to have, miraculously, gotten much better than I remember them having been.


The one feature that mirrorless cameras ushered in and which I embraced from the outset is the ability to magnify the preview image in the finder/LCD so that we can manually focus more accurately. We seem to think that lenses only just became really good in the age of digital cameras and digital sensors but, more and more, I'm finding that older "legacy" lenses could already be very good on their own; even if some of the optical design considerations were different for film than for digital.

I started buying mirrorless cameras when Olympus came out with the EP-2 which offered an EVF attachment that allowed eye level focusing and composing. The camera was among the first with a shorter lens flange to sensor distance which allowed one to use dozens of adapters to retrofit hundreds or thousands of lenses to the body. I bought my first mirrorless camera specifically to use with my collection of Olympus Pen-FT half frame lenses; many of which are still quite good performers. 

The Panasonic S1 series works very well with older, manual focus lenses that were originally designed to be used on film cameras. If I find an interesting older lens that was designed for use on an SLR I go to Amazon and check to see if there is an adapter available for that lens mount family which will work on an L-mount camera. Usually the adapters are available in the $20-$50 range and it's rare for me to get one that doesn't work well with both the camera and lens. I've gotten one or two really cheap ones with too much play but most are well made and almost every one I've gotten has allowed for infinity focus.

I recently picked up two Contax Y/C Carl Zeiss lenses at bargain basement prices. These were both lenses designed to be used on the mid-1980s Contax line of SLRs. The lenses and cameras were built in Japan by Kyocera but before you turn your nose up remember that Kyocera was the maker of several well received Leica SLR zoom lenses, and that the engineers at Carl Zeiss designed their branded Contax lenses and set the parameters for their manufacturing and quality control. In short, with a few exceptions, most of the Contax lenses from that time period, if well maintained, are good-to-excellent and, perhaps a step above other brands from the time period. 

I owned a number of Contax lenses back in the late 1980s when I shot with an RTS II, and then an RTS III camera, and never had reason to complain about their optical performance. 

When I found a little collection of the lenses in the used department of a camera store I opted to buy the 28mm f2.8 (which I wrote a bit about yesterday) along with the 135mm f2.8. Both are later, MM mount lenses with slightly improved coatings and no "Ninja Star" aperture artifacts. You can tell which lenses are the later models because their smallest aperture settings/numbers on the external aperture rings are colored green. 

There was a 50mm on offer as well but I skipped that because I already have a good copy here in the studio which I had originally bought to use with an earlier Sony A7 variant. In retrospect I might as well have bought the one at the store since the supply is ever dwindling, but I'm trying to curb my reckless avarice for lenses. 

I found an adapter supplier I like for two reasons. First is that every adapter I've bought from them has fit both camera and lens snuggly and allowed focus to infinity and, second, they are priced at under $20 apiece. I have two of the adapters and use them on the two Contax lenses I use most, switching out when I need access to the third lens.

When I shot with 135mm lenses in the film days we did not have image stabilization or really good focusing assistance from our cameras. Sure, the optical finders were optimized for manual focus lenses, and there were split-image or microprism focusing aids but all focusing was done strictly at whatever the viewfinder's fixed magnification was. Now we can "punch in" 16 time or even 20 times on most higher end digital cameras which means we're focusing at multiple times the accuracy that was available on something like a Nikon F3. 

While I did an acceptable job focusing a 135mm lens on a traditional camera I can plainly see the huge advantages of magnifying the viewing image in order to fine focus. And that brings into clear view the advantages of focusing while the images are being stabilized.

We tend to think of image stabilization as a benefit only at the time of exposure. We push the shutter button and the image is stabilized for the duration of the exposure. But if you think about it from a different point of view; that of IBIS being a focusing aid, you'll see that stabilizing the overall view of the image while manually focusing also allows for much more precision and accuracy in the process. Which means a much higher number of better focused keeper images. 

All of a sudden, and maybe for the first time, we can actually see and take advantage of the innate qualities of some of the lenses we previously dismissed as "good in their time, but...." 

When I looked at the results of my casual test shots with the older 135mm I was happily surprised that, like the 28mm lens, the 35 or 40 year old lens was entirely capable of matching current AF lenses in that focal length range, without issue. An interesting observation for someone like myself who is happily disposed to experimenting with old lens-to-new camera adaptation.




Some cities have statues of war heroes. We have statues of musicians.
The statue of Willie Nelson sits in front of the Austin City Limits Theater.

funny how a detail of a chair can be visually appealing to me.
I saw this in a downtown hotel and enjoyed the contrast of the bright 
red against a background which I could see with my eyes but which 
fell off into darkness in the photograph.


Making faces out of traffic barriers. 



Another face created by light.






Donuts. Essential business. Happiness is good.



13 comments:

D Lobato said...

I really agree with your assessment of using these older lenses on a mirrorless camera. I have a set of MF Nikon Micro-Nikkors and they really perform on my FF mirrorless cameras for nature shooting. The Nikon 105mm f1.8 and a Canon FD 200mm f2.8 are nice for portraits and live music on stage. And MF lenses stay in focus when a pre-set distance is needed for a video shoot.

Rich said...

a stunningly good series of photos Kirk

John Taylor said...

I have some of the old style Canon FD lenses with the silver breech mount among which is a 135mm f2.5 that I love. I also have a couple of nice original OM lenses

Bill Pearce said...

Of course those old lenses looked. They were made in a time where they had to get up on their hind legs and PERFORM! Todays lenses are designed by a computer and cranked out by the truckload, and the camera company brings in a high school kid who knocks out some software to fix the problems.

I remember my film days. I shot most on construction projects images for publication. I shot a Hasselblad 500CM, no meter. No AF or stabilization. Everything was up to me. I shot a lot of great photos, and I could shoot an entire day on one 12X roll and every shot counted.

Those were the days when craftsmanship was valued and respected.

TMJ said...

My favourite 135mm lens, (equivalent), is the Leica M 90mm f2.0 apo/asph lens mounted via an adapter on my Sony Nex-7. Okay, so the lens costs a little more than the camera but was a relative bargain when I bought it a few years ago.

Bruce Rubenstein said...

One of the reasons these film era lenses preform as good, or better than they did back in the day is because they aren't forming an image on a floppy piece of film. They are forming an image on a very flat sensor, so there aren't depth of focus issues. This gives a sharper image across the entire sensor. Pressure plates and film rails in cameras weren't capable of keeping film as flat as needed.

dinksdad said...

I recently tested a couple dozen vintage lenses on my S1R. I got outstanding results from the Minolta 50mm f/1.4, Olympus OM 85mm, and Nikon 55mm micro. Pentax K and Super Takumar lenses also did well. I like that Panasonic makes it so easy to enter the focal length for manual lenses, and focusing is easy on the high-resolution EVF.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

The "punch in" makes it all seem so scientific and foolproof. I'm loving my S1R. It's a wonderful camera. All the S1 variants are really good. Makes the ownership of MF lenses so practical.

Unknown said...

Agree entirely those old lenses have qualities missing from the new digital lens world. Its as simple as focusing the old high quality Nikkors, the best silky smooth, plenty of travel for fine, accurate focusing. No plastic in old Nikkors- too heavy!
I have an assortment of Nikkors, non ai, ai'd, ais and newer manual lenses and its fun to see the results which can be an eye opener. Some good, some excellent. To my eye they have an attractive character missing in some newer lenses. All it takes is time to focus. If you shoot thousands of frames a day they probably are not for you.

Kirk Decker said...

One of the things I like about Nikon is they never changed lens mount for their SLR cameras. I've got the modern workhorse 24-70 and 70-200 zooms, but for most of my walking around, and macro work, I use vintage MF lens. I recently posted two side by side photos of Cardinals (the birds, not the guys) one was taken with a 1980s 75-150 zoom that I got off eBay for $45, the other was taken with the modern 70-200. I asked people to guess which was which. I totally get it that you can't do critical lens analysis on the social media, but it was interesting that most people choose the image made with the $45 lens as the better image. I liked better myself, even before it was posted. Inexpensive manual focus lenses? Yes, please.

Chuck Albertson said...

One of the reasons I bought the Leica SL was that I could use my M lenses on it until they started rolling out the SL primes; in the case of the longer focal lengths, I got much more consistent focus with the punch-in feature.

Woody Harrelson calls Willie Nelson the Texas Dalai Lama.

jmarc schwartz said...

Oui, tout est affaire de caractère dans les optiques vintage, pas comme les nouvelles standardisées et sans âme.

Anonymous said...

Film era prime lenses are can be sharp, but are sometimes criticized for CA. The D-FA 100mm lens you used with the Pentax K-1 (copied from the film era design) is well regarded for sharpness, but there are complaints about its CA. What are your thoughts on this?