3.12.2021

I was out taking a walk this morning and ran into this...


You may remember my recent, frantic search for my missing Gov. Ann Richards slide and my subsequent adventure in scanning it once I'd found it. I forgot that the final images were going to be put up on light poles all the way from the state capitol down to Lady Bird Lake. I was walking along looking at life on the street in downtown and I looked up and saw my work flappping in the wind about twenty feet above my head. 

My photo is one of maybe a dozen different ones from a handful of photographers being displayed along Congress Ave. It's tightly cropped but even so it looks great. It's paired up with one of my favorite Ann Richards quotes.... A tip of my Stetson to the fine designers at Pentagram for making this all happen. 


And the flip side.
 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it. Random question. Do you shoot RAW even on these types of photo walks? Or if you know you're going to be posting to your site do you use JPEG? Thanks!

Gato said...

I miss Ann Richards. Texas used to have politicians with class and flair. Where did we go wrong?

And if you're out walking I guess that means no nasty side effects from the second jab. Good job.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Unknown, I shoot mostly Jpegs unless it's for a client or a situation in which I know I'll need to do a lot of shadow and highlight corrections. I like setting Jpeg and then getting the WB just right. Most of the times the files just need a little extra contrast to make them pop for me. I like my images just a little dark. I guess I see things that way. So, almost always Jpegs unless I need to make sure. And these days even that isn't much of a stressor.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Gato, I miss her every time I think about Texas politics. I've heard Matthew McConaughey is thinking about running for Governor. That would certainly be a hell of a lot more fun that what we have now.

No nasty side effects. Just sleepier than usual.... but wide awake this afternoon. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Face it Kirk, you just like playing with newer gear. Nothing wrong with that. Your quest is more about having fun than actually testing for "the best" combination - and we all know that even if you do find "The Best" you will keep on playing with newer and different combinations.

It is about the journey, not the results.

Unknown said...

Thanks! Trying to make my workflow for daily photography more efficient but feel like I "need" to shoot RAW. I'm only a hobbyist though....

Anthony Bridges said...

How cool. It's always nice to see your work displayed in a productive way.