3.11.2021

OT: The second dose has landed. The process was efficient. Now, back to work.

Long flowing dead grass. Just outside Trader Joe's at Seaholm.

 My older brother was deathly afraid of getting shots. Terrified. Once, when he was a child of about 6 we went as a family to a hospital on an air force base. My father was in the U.S. Air Force at the time. We walked up to a temporary building which served as the immunization clinic and that's when it hit my brother that this was really going to happen; we were all going to get the required immunizations so we could move to Turkey for a couple of years. And immunizations meant "shots!!!"

He bolted just before reaching the door to the clinic and crawled under the building, refusing to come back out. My father was irate and bellowed at him to get his butt out in an instant. The sheer force effect was futile against the absolute terror of the needle.

My mother tried the capitalist way and offered a bribe, the nature of which I don't remember, but that had no effect either. My father was on a tight schedule, and had meetings with his commander directly after this family event. The last thing he wanted to do was to crawl in the dirt under a building while wearing his clean and pressed uniform and his shiny black, regulation shoes. 

In the end we were reminded that rank does have its privileges. My father was the hospital commander and several of the enlisted men under his command happened to be passing by and, after assessing the situation (and the potential benefits of succeeding), immediately crawled under the building and dragged/cajoled my brother out. 

I'd like to think my brother would have outgrown this phobia as he entered adulthood but the continuing stories of his medical phobia are now family legends. And worse than shots for him? That would be blood tests where a quantity of blood is required. He might steel up his nerve now and go in to the appointment, if there is absolutely no recourse, but he routinely faints dead away on contact with the needle.

He was not the only person with a needle aversion in the family, to a lesser degree I shared his anxiety but I tried to be more stoic. I can give blood if I'm horizontal and I can get shots if you let me sit for a few minutes afterwards to regain my composure. But I do remember the time we had to get TB tests in order to volunteer at Ben's pre-school. The test was called a Schick Test and basically it's just a little prick and an air bubble under the skin. 

I went to my private doctor's office with Ben in tow to get the test done. I was led into the exam room and the nurse quickly "Schicked" me. I got up and walked down the hallway and into the waiting room where Ben was happily reading under the watchful eye of our favorite nurse. Then I felt a bit woozy. Then I sat down and put my head between my knees. Then I started sliding toward the floor. Very embarrassing, to say the least. 

We'll, I'm happy to report that I seem to have conquered this fear; at least for now. I've had several novocaine/lidocaine injections at the dermatologist's office this quarter, another at the surgeon's office and one at my dentist's office. No dramatic, visceral or regurgitant responses to report. And now I am also two for two with Moderna Covid-19 vaccine injections. In fact, in my own mind I seemed both macho and brave for both doses of the vaccine; both times I got my jab and proceeded out to the observation area without missing a step or having a vasovagal response of any kind. Not even a tremor in my hands --- and that's notable given the amount of coffee I ingest...

I wish I had been able to take a selfie today because I looked absolutely heroic while actually getting the jab. My jaw was set (rigidly) in a posture of pure nonchalance. But there were signs everywhere prohibiting photos; even selfies.

So, I was scheduled to get my second dose today at 10:30 p.m. but in an excess of hyper-punctuatility I arrived at 9:55, was ushered right in and, after cursory paperwork, plopped down in a chair in front of a steely-eyed nurse who crashed the giant harpoon of a needle nearly through my massively muscled upper arm and then recommended that I go straight home and take an extra strength Tylenol. She was formidable so I followed her suggestion. I am almost four hours past the injection and I haven't had a side effect yet. The same nurse told me to keep moving my arm around for the first half hour afterwards as that would subdue the soreness. I think she was right. 

Now, if I play my cards right, stay out of mosh pits, avoid the biker bars on Sixth St. and stay out of overcrowded elevators for the next two weeks I'll become as immune as I can be in the moment, and less cautious during every day. 

But if very many more people insist on poking me with needles in the near future I might end up under a portable building trying to become invisible. I doubt B. or B. will try to bribe me out. If they do want to try a bribe I'll quickly suggest a 50mm Apo Summicron lens. Just, you know, as a nod to system completion. 

I'll report back if there are any delayed, adverse reactions. Thanks for everyone's patience with my hypochondria. 

The follow up: We're nearly eight hours out from Vaccine Zero Hour and so far I've had no side effects to report. No fever, no chills, no nausea, no headache. Maybe they gave me the placebo... Waking up tomorrow morning will be the real test... 

16 comments:

Marcio K said...

Good news. And a bit of envy - here in Brazil, I'll probably get my first shot only in 2022, if i'm alive until there. (I'm 50 years old)

Will said...

C'mon, Kirk, you really didn't even feel it, right?

I swear this is true, if hard to believe: my Mother took me to the doctor for a vaccine of some sort and he was sitting at his desk sharpening his needles on a whetstone. The gauge of the damn things had to be about O.

We got our second shots on Tuesday and I did have a reaction. Due to an overwhelming urge I pulled the car over, got out and tried to leap a tall building in a single bound. Didn't work out.

Our reactions to the shots were pretty minimal and were gone about 24 hours after injection.

Fred said...

Congratulations.
I know that different people react differently to getting shots. When I was a young kid I locked myself into the bathroom so as not to get a shot. I got it anyway. But by the time I was in high school I was giving myself allergy shots. It also took me a long time to develop a taste for fish and 50 mm lenses.
I get my second shot next Wednesday, presumably by a leprechaun.

Larry C. said...

Hi Kirk,

Glad you were able to get your second, my wife and I got ours a week ago. Different locations, I got my jab at the local VA Medical Center, and she got her's through the State. We now still need to wait (14) days to be fully effective.

Drafted right after high school in the late 1960's the military were using pneumatic guns (and needles) for immunizations then. They lined us up and as you walked down the line you got a blast from either side. If you flinched the gun would cut you like a knife. About a year later before leaving for Vietnam I received no less than (27) injections in two weeks time.

Eric Seale said...

I can't really tease you for your reaction to needles -- tho' that's never been an issue for me.

When I was a kid, my parents insisted my brother and I had to go to our neighborhood dentist ("just down the block"). Unfortunately, he was the kind that thought dental anesthesia was an unnecessary medical risk. And also the kind whose mantra (in relation to potential cavities) was "if in doubt, drill it out."

After a mouthful of fillings installed sans anesthesia, I still get chills when it's time for a cleaning / checkup at the dentist's office.

RubyT said...

Ah, fleeing children. My younger sister running screaming through a school cafeteria where we were getting swine flu shots in the 70s. My youngest child making a mad run for the more recent round of swine flu shots. Luckily my oldest was with us, and he is fast and strong and caught her, but not before she terrified all the other children in line at the clinic.

That same child now gives herself injections.

I hope my vaccinations go as well as yours have.

Anonymous said...

We got our second dose on Tuesday and the next 36 hours were unpleasant. But we're both feeling better today. Most of our running buddies have had a similar reaction.

DavidB

Unknown said...

Larry C, above is not exaggerating the process of receiving shots in the military. Exactly as he described. Walking the gauntlet of corpsmen who had what looked like spray guns equipped with needles. If they missed as you were moving by arms looked like they had been shot but not with compressed air. Ah the beginning of fun times to be(not).

To this day I have to look away whenever I have an injection and that includes the 2 Pfizer shots I rec'd. Have to wait 2 weeks before I can breath again.

MikeR said...

Military air-gun injections for me as well, USAF, 1960. Later, mandatory flu shots while stationed in Florida, then filling sandbags immediately afterwards, because of an impending hurricane. Ah, fond memories.

Take care of your knees. One way to stave off surgery is with injections of manufactured synovial fluid. Let your imagination run wild ... then multiply.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

The follow up: We're nearly eight hours out from Vaccine Zero Hour and so far I've had no side effects to report. No fever, no chills, no nausea, no headache. Maybe they gave me the placebo... Waking up tomorrow morning will be the real test...

Ronman said...

Hopefully all continues well. My mother, who is 84, just had her second shot on Monday. She's doing great, with only a slight pain in her upper arm for about 4or 5 hours after. By Tuesday morning she was good to go, not even a lingering pain.

Tom Devlin said...

"regain my exposure"??

Where you over or under?

Tom Devlin

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

thanks Tom. Now fixed. Apparently I was under exposed....

Jim Metzger said...

Continue taking Tylenol every six hours for 1 1/2 - 2 days.

TMJ said...

Well done, phobias are very real and needle phobias amongst the most common.

Jon Maxim said...

We had to move from Canada to the UK for business reasons. My four year-old twin daughters were attending their first day at infant school in a new country they did not know, in a new school they did not know, surrounded by new children they did not know speaking in new accents they could not understand. I think it is safe to say that they were feeling somewhat disoriented. Much to their surprise (and unbeknownst to us) their first class was to receive a set of childhood disease vaccines.

We were informed about this by their teacher when we went to pick them up from school. She told us how impressed she was that our children were the only ones who did not cry when they got their jab. When we got home I spoke to one of our girls, full of fatherly pride, and said, "I understand neither of you cried when you got your shots."

My daughter replied, "But daddy, we didn't know we were supposed to cry."