5.01.2022

Home at Last. Thoughts while unloading stuff...

You'll not be out of place in Santa Fe with a wide brim hat. 
And if you are 66 you'll probably be one of the youngest visitors
they've had in a while. 

Just for the record I walked around diligently over the course of four days and 
saw only TWO people with actual cameras. The paucity of 
actual cameras was notable. Phones? Yes.
DSLRs or Mirrorless cameras. Not so much. 


 It was a long drive from Lubbock to Austin. I won't talk myself into doing a trip like that by car again until far in the future when my memory becomes faulty. It was a mistake to drive to Santa Fe. It wasn't a mistake to go to Santa Fe....just the driving part. There's nothing particularly redeeming about six hours a day of mindless driving through a flat, brownish, endless space. Sorry. No glamor there. 

I found little that would encourage me to return to Lubbock any time soon either. I did score three pairs of discounted trousers from one of my favorite brands, English Laundry. They always seem to fit just right. I could order them from Amazon for around $49 but it doesn't make sense when you can source them at Costco for $15 (an instant discount from the normal Costco price of $19). I also got to look around at a 5.11 store. Don't know about 5.11? It's for folks who want to play at being soldiers by dressing in rugged looking clothes and carrying heavy backpacks with built in holsters for your concealed weaponry. Didn't see anything I needed and they didn't have a bag big enough for my 50 caliber Barret M82 sniper rifle so why bother? 

If you are really looking for a bargain then it's back to Costco for the footlong hotdog with a soft drink for $1.50 USD. Or the $3.55 per gallon gas. Sorry...couldn't find the tactical hotdogs. 

I almost hesitate to write this next part about my trip. It will probably make me sound dumb. Or clueless. Or whatever. But I'm going to do it anyway. 

Compared to shooting with my new GH6 or my year old Panasonic S5 my Leica SL2 just plain sucked for walking around Santa Fe. I've pulled some nice images out of the big, now $7,000 Leica body but in nearly every instance those were done under controlled circumstances or with my own style of lighting. I brought along the Leica SL2 and a bag full of the Sigma Contemporary lenses with the thought that I'd shoot that system when I wasn't on the corporate clock. A way of making a demarcation between work and play. 

First of all I seem to have lost much of my long time preference for prime lenses. Or what might be better classified as "single focal length" lenses. If I had on the 24mm I found myself wishing it was the 65mm. But when I took the 65mm out of a walk I seemed only to discover potential images that would have been rendered perfectly with something like a 35mm lens. And after years of walking around with only one lens and one camera I was not about to lug around a Domke bag filled with various focal lengths. I was working hard enough already. 

In comparison to the other cameras I brought the SL2 seemed ponderous and slow. And even though the finder is supposed to be much better than the EVFs in the other cameras it seemed.....vague to me on this trip. 

This might just be sour grapes because I packed too much and complicated my photo life with too many disparate choices on this trip. Between the two m4:3 bodies, the S5, the SL2 and ten different lenses it's a wonder I could keep anything straight much less focus on fine-tuning technique while bouncing back and forth between cameras. 

The S5 was far and away my favorite work camera and the lens choice there was right on the nose. But my favorite "walking around" set up was the GH6 paired with the new Olympus 12-45mm lens. A 24mm to 90mm full frame equivalent angle of view range. The lens is sharp and the camera does really nice colors. 

I'll put the SL2 to better use on Tuesday. I'm booked to photograph two attorneys on location. Camera on a tripod, lights at hand. I'm guessing it's much closer to the optimum use profile for that camera. Lots of detail and lots and lots of dynamic range but more methodical. More attention to each step. 

It's been a banner month around here for the m4:3rd cameras. I've really enjoyed using both of them. Might need just one more lens....

health note: I mentioned a blood oxygen reading from my Apple Watch on Friday afternoon that was pretty low. It was 92. Several people suggested I take a Covid test. I took two and both were negative. I've been closely monitoring during the past two days and after that one reading all the rest have been 96 or higher, even at altitude. I called my concierge doc and ran all this by him as well. He suggested that the combination of bad air quality, altitude and the same kind of work schedule I adhere to here in Austin were probably to blame. Since Friday and since coming down from the upper reaches most of my readings are in the 98 and 99 zone. Maybe with a good night's sleep here at HQ, aided along by a nice glass of Stag's Leap Cab I'll be back at 100% tomorrow. I'm fine. 

And...not to worry. I am my favorite hypochondriac. I head in to see my physician at the drop of a hat. Sometimes it's a contest to see which one of us can discover something first. I beat him to the punch with the squamous cancer imbroglio....


18 comments:

c.d.embrey said...

In this modern world many choose convenience over quality. My 108 megapixel Android fits into my pocket.

pixtorial said...

"Didn't see anything I needed and they didn't have a bag big enough for my 50 caliber Barret M82 sniper rifle so why bother?" You made my day Kirk, nearly spit my drink out.

Chris Beloin said...

Hi Kirk -

Might need just one more lens.... Well we know what that one is.... 12-100.

Get better soon!

Chris in Wisconsin

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Chris, you know me too well. :-)

that was a given. but maybe I also need the Panasonic/Leica 50-200mm.... what do you think?

Mike Mundy said...

Hm. Was that Stag's Leap? Or Stags' Leap?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I'll go with whichever one you suggest Mike. A Cab by any other name would quaff a sweetly.

Eric Rose said...

Too bad you had to semi rush back. Places that initially didn't interest me revealed themselves if I just parked it and relaxed. Not every time but what the heck it was a relaxing exercise.

Your ideal walk around camera mirrors mine, except mine is the GH5.

Glad to see you arrived back safely to the land of milk and honey aka Precision Camera ;)

Eric

Biro said...

I hear you on the matter of zooms versus primes, Kirk. I still like primes - particularly my Sigma L-mount primes. But whenever I head out the door and I'm not sure what I am going to find, I use a zoom.

I actually reversed my opinion on one particular zoom in recent weeks. I originally thought the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 was too much of a compromise. But I gave it a try and find I'm very pleased with real-world results. Yes, used wide open, the extreme corners could be a bit better. But that's it. And it makes a great, lightweight carry-around kit when mounted on my S5.

I'm now eagerly awaiting Sigma's 16-28mm f/2.8.

Re: COVID testing. Since I have to use mass transit to get to work in New York everyday, I test myself every weekend. Once on Saturday night and once on Sunday night, unless I don't feel well some other time. Two negative rapid-test results, 24 hours apart, is about as reliable as a PCR test. I regard it as the cost of doing business for a while.

When you wrote about your blood oxygen level the other day, COVID didn't occur to me, given the smoke and your activity. But you were right to check. We are now in a new phase of the pandemic. But it is not over - no matter how much some people want it to be.

Chris Beloin said...

Hi Kirk -

On the Panasonic/Leica 50-200mm - Depends on your shooting needs/style. I found the Olympus 12-100 to cover event photography extremely well. Wide for crowd shots/tight spaces & just enough zoom to cover speakers, or something accross the room. I recently shot a Historical Society event and was asked about using my photos for publication even through there was an official photographer there. It works for street photography too, especially in lower light with that world class IS built in.

As you know I use the 12-100 as a one lens/one camera solution & switch to Nikon for longer telephoto nature work. The Panasonic is a great lens but longer telephoto work is better met with a different solution set. Then I would go to the Tamron 18-400 for run & gun work & have the Nikon 200-500, but that is a large kit to run around with. I tend to work the longer end of those lenses but I am doing different types of shots.

Of course you just might buy both if you had a great week revenue wise! I'll look forward for your review comparing both of those lenses.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Kirk

I have the 50-200 and I like it a lot. Not my most used lens but not the least either. I use it for birding w/CAF and streetish stuff that requires a narrow angle of view. Would I buy it again? I'm not sure. I've been playing around with Topaz gigapixel and I'm impressed. It might be a very good substitute for longer and heavier lenses.

Jay

Edward Richards said...

1) get yourself an inexpensive dedicated oximeter if you are worried. Watches are notoriously inaccurate. (It is like the singing pig - it is a wonder they can do it all, so do not expect much.)

2) the Nikon 24-200 Z is proving to be a great carry-around lens for me. It is surprisingly sharp and fairly light on a Z camera.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Edward Richards. You may be correct that some brands of watches are poor oximeters. My Apple Watch matches the readings I get from a dedicated oximeter I've owned for several years and also matches readings taken by my doctor with his.

2. I've heard from Nikon shooting friends that every new lens they've gotten from Nikon has been superb. Sounds like a perfect all-terrain lens. Nice that it's also light.

Peter Williams said...

You make fun of Tilley hats (I'd never own one and probably share your disdain), but you look like Smokey Bear, Forest Ranger in this selfie :-)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Tilley hats are the Billingham of hats. They deserve our derision. But Smokey the Bear....he's an icon. And he serves the greater good.

Since I had a nasty squamous cancer removed from my beautiful face I have started to soften my views on even the worst of the hats in the world. It's more important to wear a hat that provides sun protection than to make a fashion statement...

But I implore Tilley Hat owners to understand that it is possible to do both. Just not with a Tilley Hat.

( You know I'm kidding, right? I'd wear a Tilley Hat if there wasn't a better option and the sun was shining ).

Peter Williams said...

I have to wear a hat when it's hot and sunny here in Australia, as I have no hair these days. So a silly looking bucket hat is the most practical if I'm out making photos, anything with a stiff peak or brim gets in the way when I shoot in portrait orientation and is just plain annoying.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I am beginning to appreciate the lowly bucket hat. REI makes a very lightweight one with good protection and a floppy brim. It's good for photographing.

Anonymous said...

I guess we’ve more camera nerds here in Europe. I saw more than a couple of Leica M users in my 4 day trip to Copenhagen over the weekend!

jrsforums said...

Coolibar https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N16L1IK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
But probably at REI also. Might not be enough brim for you, but works ok for .e

Concierge docs are great. Wouldn’t have made it through recent pneumonia without mine.