2.01.2012

Yesterday was about marketing. And fine tuning.


Untitled from Kirk Tuck & Will van Overbeek on Vimeo.

This is just a test of the Nikon V1 video at 720, 60fps. I looked at the top of my desk (as opposed to my "desktop") and figured it would make a cooperative subject.   I put together a DIY slider using a rail assembly from a company called, Igus.  There was a Manfrotto ballhead on top of the slider carriage. I lit the desktop, and the old Kodak camera, with two 1,000 LED panels.  I was looking for noise and artifacts.  The stuff looked pretty good in FCPX.

I keep getting more intrigued with video.  I had a sales meeting with a client yesterday and it's one of the few meetings I've done so far with the iPad2 as my presentation tool.  The ability to go from still portfolios to video with the touch of a finger was eye-opening for me.  With a print portfolio I was always careful not show to much.  Conventional wisdom said 20 to 40 nice prints.

I bought a program called Portfolio for iPad and arranged my work into six different categories.  Each category has its own icon and incorporates its own images.  Each category had anywhere from 25 to 40 images.  With the iPad in the client's hands he controls the pace of the show and the amount of images he wants to see.  It was fun to watch how addictive the screen is.  The client went through every image.  And all the videos (six).

I had also loaded a smaller portfolio, just for him, of images that I'd done various levels of post processing to.  I wanted to make sure he understood that we could overlay these effects to just about any image we create for him.  I labeled this gallery:  (His Name)'s Portfolio.   It took only minutes the night before to create the custom gallery of test images.  It would have required sending out for prints in my older style of showing.

His take away at the end:  "I have to be honest with you.  I much prefer seeing work on a screen than in a print book."

It was a successful marketing foray.  It got me back into his sphere of attention and hopefully, onto his "A" list of suppliers.  I left him with a copy of my new LED book as a leave behind.   I figure that, with over 300 of my photos in one place it's got to be a better leave behind piece than my competitors...

I will say this for progress: Carrying around an iPad beats the hell out of carrying around my 16x20 inch portfolio book (yes, I know, yours is 11x14 and it's just right and I should consider........).

Best of all, we used the calendar function on the iPad2 to book a lunch this Friday.  I still remember what a crusty, old marketing guy told me decades ago about a clients:  "Lunch em or lose em."


If anyone wants details on the "slider" let me know and I'll throw together a quick blog post.  



11 comments:

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Note to self: Bigger stands under the slider and more sandbags...

GreggMack54 said...

It is very difficult to determine which direction the light is coming from with those two large LED panels. It appears that they may be directly over the desk, as all of the shadows are very soft. Even so, the blacks are black and whites are white. Almost eerie.

Was the "whirring sound" the motor to drive the camera down the rail?

Jim said...

Wow, Your desk is almost as messy as mine. :-) I don't leave money laying around on mine though.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Gregg, The lights were pretty far away to the left of the frame but there's a white all to the right that does good fill. The sound is from our mini-cyclotron. I'm always loathe to turn it off since I have to recalibrate it when I turn it back on... :-)

Jim, I only leave the U.S. currency sitting around. All the Swiss francs are well secured.

Patrick Dodds said...

I'd be interested in learning about the slider if that was ok? I'd have to fix it for an X100 though, so might not work?
BW.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Patrick, a slider is akin to a tripod so both will work with just about any camera. I'll do a post about it in the next day or so. Thanks for the feedback.

Roger B. said...

I feel so much better about the state of my desk now I've seen your one, Kirk. Jim reckons his one is even messier so now I feel even better! Of course, it's because we are all creative types. ; )

almostinfamous said...

would this slider be portable?

not as in put it in my pocket and go, but would 2 energetic dudes be able to do the set-up and teardown quickly.

Chaz said...

I have a 120Gb Hard drive that is forever called "Big Disk". So I had a little wry grin when I saw the label "New Disk" there.

You are a man of many disks though, so I'm sure it is a temporary label, forever restlessly attaching itself to frsh storage.

Libby said...

The desk provides an interesting insight to your brain ;-)

Further slider info? Yes please - thank you. I'm starting to play around with the video myself.

JJ Semple said...

Which lens did you use on the video?