10.27.2013

Yes. Today is both my birthday and the day we celebrate the 1700th blog post.


I mini-celebrated my birthday last night at midnight+1 by having a Jack Daniels over ice on a JetBlue flight flying through a wild lightning storm somewhere over Arkansas. And I celebrated the hunting and pecking that created the 1700th blog post of the Visual Science Lab by making a nice cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. And by typing in a more leisurely fashion.

This is an in front of the scenes shot of my model in NYC. Nick and I both got to choose one model. I chose Gloria from a stack of head shots and Nick chose Naomi. I'll show you here image in a later post. Didn't really matter who picked whom as we switched around and took turns photographing each other for all three days.

I am one year older today. No wiser. No richer and no less happy. It was a great trip to frenetic, exciting New York but it was even greater to get back to the laid back quiet and lush and ample personal space that Austin affords.

Please stayed tuned to VSL for loads of opinions on new gear, big changes and a week long analysis of the world of photography. Spoiler? It's changing all the time. And so is the market.

In the next few posts well talk about my hands on evaluation of the new Sony A7 and A7r cameras, the Panasonic G6 camera and the Olympus em1 camera. I'll also talk about an interesting monolight I played with and some direct cheap soft boxes. All fun stuff. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, good health to you and your family
best -mathew

Mar said...

hope you have the happiest of birthdays! I don't comment often but I read every post diligently and feel wiser and better for having done so! Thanks for keeping up this blog, it really does help me (and many others) alot!

Unknown said...

Blue Mountain? :) Fine taste in coffee.

Well, happy birthday. :) Continue what you do, cause you do it really good. And I hope you will be here many years to come in good health and happy (and that of course applies to all around you).

Btw. A7r sounds like perfect birthday present. :)

Craig Yuill said...

Happy birthday! And congratulations on having the persistence to create 1700 blog posts.

Peter Ziegler said...

Happy Birthday Kirk. Like others here, not a frequent commenter, but a constant reader.

Glad to hear you'll be looking at the A7/A7r cameras. I suspect there are a number of us dying to know how they perform with wide-angle M-series glass. Don't know if you have any of those lying around...

Peter

MikeR said...

Happy birthday, Kirk.

Keep up the thoughtful stuff.

atmtx said...

Happy Birthday, Kirk.

Wolfgang Lonien said...

Well, a happy tho now belated birthday from me as well. I'm happy that I can still read what you think. Greetings to Ben and Belinda as well.

Henk said...

Happy birthday and thank you for posting all these nice stories.

Claire said...

Happy birthday Mr Tuck !!! Glad you had an eventful and safe trip to and back from NYC. And please let me know how AF compares to the old NEX 7 on the new A7 ;)

Don said...

Happy Birthday Kirk!

This is my favourite photography blog, bar none. Cheers!

Andre said...

Happy Birthday Kirk! Good health and many more happy years shooting these superb portraits.

Reynard The Fox said...

Happy birthday Kirk.

Best Wishes,

Paul

Reynard The Fox said...

Happy Birthday Kirk.

Best wishes,

Paul

Unknown said...

A very happy birthday to you, Kirk. Sunday was also my birthday, so as the festivities continue tonight, I'll have a sip of Bulleit for you. Many thanks for the work you do here on the blog, it's a continual joy to read.

all the best
tim

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Kirk!

ginsbu said...

Happy belated birthday, Kirk. Very nice to meet you briefly and to catch a few minutes of one of your demos at the show.