1.02.2020

A Few Quick Observations about The New VSL Computer, the iMac Pro...


 Trying a softer look. Just for fun.

Belinda remarked to me yesterday, as I was grappling with the idea of spending money on a new computer, that I think nothing of buying camera bodies that are about the same price, sometimes in lots of two or more, and yet I've been nursing along an iMac 27 inch computer that first hit the market in late 2013. Sure, it has 16 gigabytes of memory and it's been solid and reliable but she was quick to point out that I'd save a lot more time and money by getting a new computer rather than impulse shopping for more cameras....

I brought the iMac Pro home last night and got to work migrating all the apps and files from the old machine to the new one. I knew the iMacPro would be much faster but what I did not expect was that the screen (a 5K Retina) would be so much better than the screen on the older machine.

The improved image almost immediately pushed me into looking at old files on the new system. I was amazed at how much more revealing the higher resolution is (and the wider gamut). I'm happy I've bought a few new cameras that create nearly 50 megapixel files because the new monitor allows me to see some artifacts in shadows I never saw before as well as some color casts that I thought I'd taken care of by calibrating the old screen every once in a while. It also brings home to me the advantages of working with bigger files. Now I can see more profound differences between cameras.

Just as getting new cameras and lenses seems to supercharge my interest in getting out and taking more photographs getting a much more capable desktop is pushing me to dive into post processing with greater diligence than I brought to the digital darkroom before.

Also, I tested the new system against the old in a task that I do nearly every week. That's to convert batches of corrected files from raw to jpeg in Lightroom. I selected a folder with 650 24 megapixel raw files and converted them to large, fine Jpegs on each system. As I anticipated, the task took the better part of a half hour on the older machine and about four minutes on the new one. That's enough improvement right there to make me sit up, take notice, and then pat myself on my own back for my smart purchase.

I've also bought a couple of external 1 terabyte SSD drives to use as scratch and "in process" disks. That makes everything go faster as well. I can hardly wait for our first job of the year to come through the door on Friday. I'll be spending Friday evening with a big smile on my face in fast, post processing paradise....

4 comments:

atmtx said...

Wow, what a boost in speed.

Robert Roaldi said...

Funniest thing I ever heard about computer speed was on the job many years ago. I worked as a software developer in a cubicle farm and our 386 machines had just been upgraded to 486 units. Our boss came by and asked us if we had detected any major increase in speed. One guy answered, "No, but my computer at home got slower."

Keith said...

"Trying a new softer look. Just for fun." Ok, you've got to try more of these "softer look" portraits, beginning with the same model as above.

James said...

After seeing what you wrote, I am not too surprised that the screen and the SSDs were the big improvement. Secretly, Moore's law has stopped working for speedups more or less, and only really manifests as power savings and more cores.

For developer workloads, nobody complains about 2015 Macbook Pros, and plenty of people complain about the new Macbook Pro keyboards (until the new old keyboards that were just released).

Enjoy your brilliant new screen!