3.21.2020

I had a job today. It was fun. It was supervised by two doctors.

I think this is an enormous air conditioning tower. Someone is anticipating a level of global warming 
that is gigantic. Still under construction...

Life continues to be interesting. One of the medical practices I've worked with for decades asked me to make a portrait of a new partner/associate. This is something we do a dozen or so times a year. The practice is growing quickly and they keep adding radiologists at a rapid clip. We do the portraits by appointment in my little West Austin studio but this was the first session I've done  since the virus crisis began here, a couple of weeks ago. 

I asked for some guidance from several of my physician friends about sanitizing my space and putting protocols in place that would ensure that no on would come into contact with any virulent pathogens. No viruses. No weird bugs. I cleaned all the flat surfaces with Chlorox wipes, mopped floors with strong detergents and carefully wiped down the photo gear with isopropyl alcohol as per "Dr. Roger" at LensRentals.com.

I positioned hand sanitizer bottles at our entry way and even called my subject to see if she wanted me to wear a face mask (we are not hoarding masks, I had a small pack left over from an eye surgery shoot I wrote about last year...). Not necessary. We're actually into our 10th day of more or less total social distancing around here. 

It felt odd not to shake hands when the two doctors (also husband and wife) came into the studio but that's our new normal. I had the studio lighting totally set up and measured via an accurate incident light meter. The camera was about eight feet from the posing stool I normally use for portraits and I used the 70-200mm f4.0 S Pro lens on an S1 camera to make the photographs. Only one of the doctors needed a portrait so we went through the process quickly but in no great hurry. They were surprised how soon the session was over and also asked to see a few of the shots on the rear screen of the camera. Success.

We all did a good job maintaining good distancing and after they left I made sure to wipe down any surfaces they may have touched. But --- they were pros and they know the no contamination drill a lot better than me. After my cleaning routine I sat down at my desk to edit out the blinks and grimaces, convert the raw files to really nice looking Jpegs, and put the images up on Smugmug.com in a private gallery. I continue to streamline the process with every session so it all just goes faster and faster. Soon it will seem completely transparent and instantaneously; I wonder how I will be able to justify my fees then....?

I shopped today. Groceries only. It would seem wrong to bop up to Precision Camera just for a quick look around; especially since there is nothing photographic I really need to buy right now. 

My first leg was to Whole Foods. I wanted to buy a really good steak. A better one than I could get at the other local chains. Belinda also asked me to check and see if they had milk. I was expecting the experience at the store to be time consuming and would require waiting in a long line to get in. I thought they'd be limiting store traffic in that way. But no. There was ample surface parking and the store wasn't at all crowded at 2:30 pm when I walked in. People were shopping but there was no sign of frantic panic and no carts overflowing with milk cartons or cleaning products. 

The only aisle that was picked over and naked was the one for toilet paper and paper towels. And, of course, there was no hand sanitizer to be found. But the meat counter was well and fully staffed and the inventory of prime cuts was as burgeoning as ever. The same story in the cold cases, for milk. I bought two half gallon jugs of organic whole milk ($3.99 each) and moved on to vegetables. 

Today organic asparagus was on sale for Prime Members for $2.99 per ample bunch. I bought some but when I got home Belinda reminded me that Ben isn't a big asparagus fan and the reason for the shopping trip was to stock up for our weekly family dinner with the kid. That's okay --- I think I have some Brussel sprouts hoarded away for just such an emergency.

My next stop was the neighborhood Trader Joe's store. There was a line there... but it had about 12 people in it and moved rapidly. I was inside and shopping in about three minutes. I bought a bottle of red wine and two small, spray bottles of hand sanitizer. In and out in five minutes or less. 


Embracing the iPhone. I went for a walk in downtown yesterday. It's still totally legal here as long as you keep to yourself. The complication was a steady rain. I know that all the cameras I've bought in the last year are supposed to be weather proof or weather resistant but I still have a perhaps unreasonable fear of walking around with a soaking $3600 camera body attached to a $2200 water covered lens. And the last time I went out walking nobody seemed to like the photos I came back with anyway. 

"The Hell with it!" I said to myself, I stuck my iPhone XR in the pocket of my rain jacket, tossed the Sigma fp onto the floor board of the car, covered it with an old, black baseball cap and went off to look for my little corner of America.

I've come to like shooting with my iPhone now. I fixed the stuff I didn't like about it. It was awkward to hold but I bought a Manfrotto phone holder that allows one to attach the phone to a tripod or other quarter inch mount tool. I chose a Leica table top tripod bullhead as a grip for the phone and its attaching mechanism. Now I like the way I can old the phone and steady it in my hands. The grip is nice but I still, out of habit, stabilized with my other hand on the right edge of the phone. 

The most compelling feature of the phone is the slo-motion video. You can do 240 fps or 120 fps. That's 4X slow mo from the 120, if you are basing it on a 30 fps finished file. But here's the weird thing! It looks really, really good. I was just playing around with it but it's fun to point the camera at your feet and shoot as you walk. It looks hilarious when your motion is slowed down by a factor of four. Really fun. 

I've also found that a really steady grip when shooting iPhone stills is paramount to getting really nice files. So I think I've mastered those parts too. Shooting with the XR is so different than shooting with a conventional camera in that every shot is wide and every shot has pretty much everything in sharp focus. It's something you have to get used to after spending months shooting everything with a full frame camera and mostly fast, traditional lenses. Amplify that when you take into consideration that I mostly shoot with 45mm and longer lenses...

The final thing I've learned is that Airdropping images between the phone and the desktop computer kills some of the image quality of the photos. I think Airdrop must do some compression to the files... I tend to hook the phone up to a USB cable and do a manual download. Done that way the files look great. All the files in today's blog were done with my phone. I thought I'd give my brain a break from the Sigma fp camera; even though it's as close to perfect as almost any camera can be. Well, at least for snapshot-y things and art-sy things. 


The walk itself was a bit depressing. There's no one on the streets except the homeless. They seem especially lost these days since their primary source of income = other people = have almost completely dried up. Downtown is empty. Everything is closed. The hotels looked almost forlorn. One or two shops, like Jo's, were trying the "carry out" only thing but they seem to have thrown in the towel for now two as there was no one there and the lights were off at 3 p.m. 

When the number of people on the streets drops below a certain count the magic of the street vanishes completely. The added insult is the boarding up of all the store fronts of the bars and restaurants in the downtown district. You can't even enjoy some of the historic buildings' interesting facades and shop fronts.

I think I'll give up on photographing the downtown area until the people are able to come back. It's too sad. Too depressing. Nothing like this has happened in Austin since I got here in 1974. It's like someone just suddenly sucked the life out of a city. The only salve is my belief that we're just in a state of social suspended animation and that soon the bars, theaters and restaurants will be back and thriving. At least I hope that happens. It was be sad if this was it. The end. The downfall of civilization. 

Boarding up an historical district. A safety precaution against looting and squatting?

The one bright side is hearing about big companies stepping up during the pandemic. Target just increased worker salaries by  at least $2 per hour. So did Whole Foods. Starbucks closed all but their drive up locations but announced that every worker would be fully paid through the next 30 days (at least) and would keep getting health care benefits, including mental health support. Even if they chose not to come in during those 30 days. 

Several CEOs are bargaining for federal loans and offering to forgo their pay for the year. 

With the walks downtown gone, the theater gone, swimming anywhere cancelled, and all the coffee shops gone my universe seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Bleaker and bleaker. But I guess it feels that way for a lot of people. 

And since we're all watching our budgets; either for our own survival or to have enough to donate wisely, while still meeting our obligations, the one thing I've stopped buying is photography gear. Really, what's the point of buying ever newer toys if all the things and places you wanted to photographed are now off limits?

When (if?) everything comes roaring back I'm throwing caution to the wind and embracing travel and adventure to the max. Time all of a sudden seems so short and there's so much left to see and do. 

The house feels big and empty without Studio Dog. Maybe it's time to try something completely different. But I couldn't plan a worst time to launch something new. Right?  Right?

As my wealth managers says, "Stay the course and keep with the game plan. You'll come through this (the crisis) unscathed." Maybe so but it's not quite what I had planned for...




19 comments:

ODL Designs said...

What a disaster, but the hope is in the efforts of mankind. It already seems there is some promising news from a number of quarters I hope it builds.

I have my third child due in 3 weeks, so a lot to think about. Lots of negotiation with landlords and suppliers, very Frank conversations with staff... Troubling times indeed... But I get to meet my son's new sibling soon, and I am excited!

Anonymous said...

Time to foster a dog?

Malcolm said...

I suspect that, pretty soon, there may be some orphan dogs looking for a loving new parent.

Patrick Dodds said...

UK resident here - we got a rescue dog - either the maddest move ever or the sanest - time will tell. Stay well Kirk and family.

typingtalker said...

Right now my favorite iPhone feature is the "For You" button at the bottom of the Photos app.

Most mornings I find that my phone has created a short video from the photos and videos that sit quietly in the phone. And most mornings I share them with family and friends as appropriate.

David said...

Empty downtown streets with boarded up windows are depressing to experience. But there is a need to document those empty streets, if only so people can remember what it was really like. With your familiarity and sensitivity to the downtown scene, you’d be a good one to take that on.

Stay well. Hope for better times.

mosswings said...

It is not the end of civilization, but it is the end of what we have taken for granted. There are months of distancing, isolation, and for too many grief ahead. But if what we've seen so far is any indication (aside from the lethally stupid behavior of the Spring Breakers), we are finding our sense of community and compassion again. We are learning to lean on each other and turn off the cluelelss babble. We are holding our leaders accountable and recapturing our civic agency. We are celebrating Spring days.

And we are learning who are the truely essential people in our economy. Some of them rung up your order at Whole Foods and TJs. Others are on their 3rd 16 hour shift at the hospital. Still more are at the wheel of a semi filled with provisions. Sometimes even including toilet paper.

A meme has been running around the wires of late: "I feel like nature has sent us to our rooms to think about what we have done". We are in a liminal space, on the threshold. It's tough, like anything that requires thinking. It's about time we did.

Look for the citizens singing from their windows, Kirk. It's starting here. too.

crsantin said...

Same situation here. Ghost town. I did go out this morning to buy our weekly groceries. It wasn’t very busy and I kept my distance from others. It’s the only contact with the outside world I’ve had all week. I’ve spent money on nothing other than food, supplies and gas. New camera gear seems completely irrelevant now since I already have too many cameras even though they are older. Things will return to normal but the world is going to be a different place for me. Perhaps not for others , I don’t know, but I feel I’ve changed and I need to do some reflection to try and figure out how. These are difficult times for many world wide.

Julian Behrisch Elce said...

Lovely writing, as always. I know that you’re also running a business, but perhaps now is absolutely the time for new gear- let’s try and keep everyone working at least a little bit. Perhaps while we save a lot of lives by limiting transmission we can also help a lot of people by keeping them at work.

Mark Gillett said...

here in the UK we are fortunate to live in a rural area so ready access to footpaths across fields to walk the dogs. We’re practising social distancing and only going out for stuff we need and my wife is now working from home. However getting hold of groceries is another matter - some people have gone mad and panic buying has taken hold with people queueing before stores open and stripping the shelves. The earliest store deliveries are now mid April! We’re fine at the moment and hopefully things will start to settle down once the the stores recruit tens of thousands of extra staff and the increased stock gets delivered. The world feels like it’s gone mad here

Jim said...

OTOH it could be the best time to start something new. It would take your mind off the loss of the old way of spending your time.

Mike Marcus said...

Kirk, I once commented here that your posts are like getting letters from an old friend. That is true more than ever these days. Since I have been retired for a number of years, staying at home has become a bit of a regular thing. But now that the stay at home thing is now more of a requirement, your continued updates from Austin are now more welcome than ever. Thanks for continuing to post here and I am sorry to hear you don't need any new cameras or lenses, but perhaps your want for something new will overwhelm you before too long. - Mike

MikeR said...

Kirk, if you could spare a few moments, could you provide some details about your iPhone rig? I've been frustrated with anything I've tried so far. I have a makeshift rig that works well on a tripod, but it's really unmanageable for hand held.

Thanks.

Unknown said...

Mike Marcus said it beautifully, as have many others recently. Thank you Kirk for providing a safe social contact once again! ~Mark

Anonymous said...

I went to the grocery store this morning (Cantley, Québec Canada) and at the entrance employees were cleaning the carts with desinfectant and providing customers with Purell wipes. New measures are being implemented in grocery stores so as to protect employees at the cash registers. They are setting up acrylic panels to seperate customers from cash register employees. People are taking this very seriously with social distancing now becoming the norm. Several people are now being ticketed by police for not complying with regulations such as not organizing social gatherings, walking around with the virus after having been tested positive, etc.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

So far people in my neighborhood and zip code are complying 100% with all the safety measures. No social gatherings. No petting someone else's dog! Wipes handed out on entry and exit from the grocery stores. Cashiers with gloves and masks, wiping off gloves with disinfectant after each transaction, etc. I even noticed at the gas station everyone was wiping down the hand grip on the nozzles before pumping their gas. Belinda reminds me to "Purrell" my fingertips after touching the credit card screen at the store....

We spend most of our time at home working on our art-sy projects. There are no more social meetings.

The trips to the grocer are the most dangerous activity we currently do and the stores are taking as much risk out of that as possible.

Unlike Mark Gillett's experience the grocery stores here seem to get restocked each night and sometimes even during the day. We've yet to run into any shortages other than eggs on the first day after the announcement of the "national emergency" and, of course toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Funny to hear that the Americans and Germans have had a run on hand sanitizer and toilet paper while the French and Italians had a similar run on red wine and condoms.... Trying to figure out who actually has their priorities straight.

Anonymous said...

"The final thing I've learned is that Airdropping images between the phone and the desktop computer kills some of the image quality of the photos. I think Airdrop must do some compression to the files..."

How have I missed this over the last year or two? I'm starting to print some more iphone files and this is a great tip. Thanks.

Max from DU

Gordon Lewis said...

"When (if?) everything comes roaring back I'm throwing caution to the wind and embracing travel and adventure to the max. Time all of a sudden seems so short and there's so much left to see and do."

Amen, Brother! At our stage in life, you really have to ask yourself, "If not now, when?", because it's all too obvious that tomorrow is not promised. Besides, I imagine that Sigma camera of yours is probably starting to get a bit bored with Austin by now.

pamala palz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.