3.12.2020

I have a "Bingo!" Now all booked events through March are fully and resolutely cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic. I now declare March a non-work month.

Channeling my inner-Eggleston.
entitled: Red Chair

The process is complete. All six assignment days for corporate events in March have just been officially cancelled. In polite parlance: rescheduled. Except we don't have a future date so I guess that should be: potentially rescheduled. I knew this was coming the minute I heard that the giant SXSW Festival was cancelled. All the clients were very kind. Each asked if there was some sort of cancellation fee they owed me for holding the dates but, of course, it's part of customer service to say, "No" except in egregious circumstances such as a cancellation from an event that is still happening. Especially egregious when that sort of cancellation happens the day before a show...

No, we are kind to our good customers in the hope that they will actually re-book us when the new dates for the events are put on the calendar. I often say, "we'll need their money just as much then..."

While I think I understand, intellectually, what all this means; the social distancing, the fear of contagion, the desire to stay safe, I'm not sure I was processing it in the part of my brain that understands solid, practical stuff. So I went out for a walk through the city today to get a gauge on the emotions and the general vibe in downtown. Would it be a ghost town? Would everyone have on a mask and latex gloves? Would trucks be driving slowly past the residence towers with loudspeakers blaring, broadcasting the call from medieval times, "Bring out yer dead. Bring out yer dead."? 

I took the little, happy and ebullient Sigma fp with its whimsical companion lens, the Sigma 45mm f2.8. After spending the afternoon with that camera and a cheap, big loupe for the rear screen, I can't imagine why I was thinking of getting a Panasonic GX8. The answer of what to buy next was right at the end of the camera strap. The little Sigma fp kept whispering to me: "Wait until the Dow drops under 18,000 and then buy some more Apple stock...." 

Green Table.

As I walked across the pedestrian bridge into downtown everything was quiet. Looking out toward the west of the lake I thought I'd see the usual dense fleet of paddle boards and kayaks but there were only one or two, drifting aimlessly, their pilots glued to their phones, no doubt watching the minute by minute gyrations of the stock market or the else reading about the conflicting, ever changing and self-serving manipulations of our criminal government. Ah. A halt to payroll taxes...that way, after the election we can strip out social security and medicare with the claim that they will inevitably become insolvent... Another in a series of victories for the robber barons of 2020. 

But I digress. While I saw fewer people rushing around today doing commerce I did see more people out walking their dogs. I saw very, very few people in the restaurants lining 2nd St. and Congress Ave. and I noticed that traffic was so light today that one could find not just one or two but dozens of available parking places around the city. 

I trudged on to what should have been the epicenter of SXSW; the convention center. It was empty. Only the maintenance people remained and they were busy hauling unused signage to the dumpsters. 

I crossed the street to the adjacent Hilton Hotel. Normally, it's packed during SXSW and the lobby is overflowing with coffee swilling tech boys and girls. Today you could chase tumbleweeds through the lobby blindfolded and never chance hitting another guest. The taco restaurant was closed, I think, out of sheer despair, and the loading docks were overflowing with cases of unwanted tequila. 


trying to channel my inner Stephen Shore but I couldn't find any scene boring and mundane enough. 
I settled for colorful chairs. 

What made the eery quiet so strange today was the fact that all the clouds had dissipated and the sky was clear and beautiful. The temperature was in the low 80's which is usually a strong lure for Austinites to be out and about, tanning and preening and enjoying outside. 

It was a comfortable walk. Social distancing was not a problem. The sidewalks were nearly empty and the streets were quiet. As I walked along with my camera clutched in my left hand I found myself daydreaming about what to do for the last half of a month with no obligations, no reservations and no schedule. Looks like I'll start with a trip to the coast followed by a trip to the deserts of west Texas.

The Sigma fp is raring to go. But we might bring along a few extra lenses. That 20mm is begging me to accelerate my dicey learning curve. I need to become a bit more comfortable with wide, wide angles. 

Everything else is a caption. 

The last time it hit 80 with bright sun you could have walked across the packed kayaks and paddle boards to the other side of the lake without getting your Birkenstock sandals damp. Today? Not so much.

Channeling W.E. #2




Spring sprang about a month ago and everything is green and blossoming. 

Shadows and highlights with no intervention from the sliders.

Oh. Yay. Another downtown building. I wonder which Austin landmark they tore down this time to make another posh nest for attorneys....?


A mural at the convention center Hilton Hotel. 



A chair at the convention center just longing to be sat upon by a SXSW attendee. 

Denied. 

the next three photos are the empty venue. 









Even the space around the new library is as empty as in one of those movies where everyone is dead and only zombies remain and all of a sudden they rush out of the crevasses of the city and try to eat your brain. But today the library didn't even play host to zombie hordes....

Scooters went unloved. 

Steps untrod. 

And men were reduced to carrying pink bags for girlfriends who had YouTube programming playing on phones, phones clutched behind their backs like secrets. 



The dogs were the happy ones. No competition from bad bands from Poland and Belgium...

And that's the saga of the immediate impact of COVID-19 on the photo scene in CenTex. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am actually looking forward to seeing [DC] cherry blossoms next week while surrounded by the smallest crowds in about a dozen years. I guess there is a silver lining to every cloud.

Ken

ODL Designs said...

The madness of crowds... I guess they can sometimes be insanely absent ;)

Keep well Kirk!

Robert Roaldi said...

I initially knew the style of that red chair as an Adirondack chair, but later in life found out that here in Ontario they're more often called Muskoka chairs, after Toronto's cottage country in the Muskoka lakes district. Do they have a special name for them in Texas?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

That there red chair.

John Krumm said...

Everyone should have invested in Zoom. No idea if the stock is up, but it's being used by everyone for meetings and classes. We are going to try it for the first time with a group I'm in.

I've been taking more walks too. No crowds, good exercise. Quick trips to the store as needed. Took a few photos today in the park. Wondering just how long this will last. Plenty of uncertainty.

Anonymous said...

Weird times. I may cancel a dental appointment next week. Without testing and science based guidelines it’s just hard to figure out how much risk there is and how to limit it.Plan on spending the next month hiking and watching old movies.

Gary said...

While I don't for a moment suggest it's going to get this way, your narrative reminds me of the old movie, "On the Beach."

HR said...

Best of luck to you and everyone else in the U.S., here in Japan, and the whole world.

Geopolitical strategist and analyst George Friedman, as always, analyzes and writes without hysteria. Realistic and pragmatic. Worth reading. Not political. By the way, he resides in Austin.

Compromising on Corona

https://mailchi.mp/geopoliticalfutures/us-military-options-in-iran-1665389?e=f942c29e78

mosswings said...

What a week. It began in the realization that since Japan was moving almost as slowly as the US in testing for the Doomsday Virus and was as nearly as unprepared, our May hiking trip there needed to be cancelled for the 2nd year in a row - different reason, same outcome. Our hike arranger read the writing on the wall and graciously rescheduled gratis to next year, noting that it was a beautiful sunny day in Kyoto. As I'm sure it was in Milan. And in my city.

For the first time in its 45 year history we suspended all meetings and events of the peer-to-peer support organization we lead. Maybe Zoom will save us - but there will be a lot of small businesses and nonprofits that become casualties in the next weeks and months.

As if to confirm the wisdom of our decision our state (Oregon) went into full emergency with mandatory social distancing and cancellation of any and all gatherings. Another retirement home, this time a veteran's facility, was overwhelmed. Internet connections began slowing as those who could telecommute did.

Meanwhile, the streets of Portland slowed to a pace that reminded me of 40 years ago when I first arrived. Until this moment, Portland seemed hell-bent on moving faster than lightspeed. Now it regained some of its long gone live-and-let-live moderation. Easy when there's no one around.

The suburbs have been a different story. Released from their work duties, people are pinballing between shopping malls and grocery stores, doing their best to become instant urban preppers while creating exactly the conditions to spread the contagion that they are preparing to avoid.

It's an odd time here in the Austin of the mid-Northwest Pacific Coast.

Meanwhile, in Siena, Italy, people locked into their houses are singing beautiful folk songs from their windows above the empty streets to let each other know that they are still alive and welcoming the morning sun.

Maybe we'll start singing, too.

dinksdad said...

Love the blue chair photo. Be interested to hear if you ever get the FP screen magnifier. Will you be dining in restaurants on your trip?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I'll let you guys know if the Sigma screen Loupe ever, ever comes in. As to restaurants --- I have no fear of catching stuff in restaurants and will not slow down my appreciation of food that I don't have to prepare myself...😄

MikeR said...

Have there been any actual cases reported in Austin? Here in SE PA, I live in Montgomery County, which because it is now the "epicenter of cases in Pennsylvania," has been partially locked down as of today. Schools closed, gyms closed, community centers, large gatherings, etc.

Yesterday, not knowing any of this was going to happen, I set out for Costco, Whole Foods, and my local supermarket. Half-empty freezer cases at Costco. Aisles clogged with full shopping carts at WF. Toilet paper shelves with ZERO stock at my local market. Long lines everywhere, like the day before Thanksgiving. I bought pretty much what I set out for, and wondered if I would regret not stockpiling like a chipmunk in the Fall.

Clayton said...

Am told the toilet paper shortage is because one person sneezes and a hundred crap themselves.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

We have a handful of reported cases, including the wife of UT's president. There is no panic here yet. Trader Joes was fully stocked yesterday. Whole Foods still has a full complement of organic prime ribeyes and there's ample toilet paper everywhere. There's not even a run on hand sanitizer. But.... many are running low on their favorite salsas...

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Clayton. That was hilarious! Thank you for that.

Eric Rose said...

Currently in Calgary it is -17C. With windchill it feels like -27C. So no walks outside with or without camera in hand. What I have been doing is resurrecting my darkroom. Plus getting a Canon Pixma Pro-10 printer up and running. Maybe by June the snow will be gone ......

Enjoy your running KIrk!

Eric

David said...

I’m passing through Houston, staying at a Holiday Inn in the convention district. Out my window I can see the Houston Convention Center and the Hilton across the road. No one is on the streets. I walked around a bit, to see if the restaurants were still open. They were, but the hostesses all said business was way off. I passed maybe a half dozen people on the sidewalk. It was wierd.